Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 05-05-2009

Default Caster Racing Fusion

Hi all,

Interested in one of these - anyone on here got one or driven one and care to tell me what they think of it?

Seem quite well priced both rtr or rolling chassis. I'm just after some opinions really, have performed a search but not much came up.

Been lurking on here for a while wondering what to buy but seems brushless 1/8th maybe the future so im thinking of taking the plunge.

Are there hop ups available for the fusion?

Also whats the advatage of a 1/8th brushless buggy compared with say a 1/10th brushless....durability...or?

Thanks in advance guys
Old 05-05-2009

John Spencer (and a few others I think) had a good outing with the Caster at the Neo this year - a most excellent report of which can be found here.

1/8 buggies can take a lot of abuse compared to 1/10. If you're planning on racing then you will find more competition in 1/10, but 1/8 is becoming more popular. My own club (Stotfold) will allow 1/8 brushless, for example.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-05-2009
Woop Woop Member

im one of the lucky ones who got to run electric at this years neo and also used the caster car as well. was great fun to drive there. the 8th cars are way more durable than a 10th but handle neither like a 10th or an 8th buggy so get hold of someones for a few laps to try.they are damn strong but can still break if you try hard enough

the kit quality was good with a relativly easy build. and having used it since as well isnt wearing fast or anything (as would normally be expected with a cheaper kit)

so from me it is highly recomended

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 06-05-2009

I'm with nathan, I got a rtr one about 2 months ago, not had any problems and I've been running it alongside the nitro's at NRX. I also ran it indoors at Bury on a 1/10th track and it didn't fair too badly.

Peter
Old 06-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggs98 View Post
im one of the lucky ones who got to run electric at this years neo and also used the caster car as well. was great fun to drive there. the 8th cars are way more durable than a 10th but handle neither like a 10th or an 8th buggy so get hold of someones for a few laps to try.they are damn strong but can still break if you try hard enough

the kit quality was good with a relativly easy build. and having used it since as well isnt wearing fast or anything (as would normally be expected with a cheaper kit)

so from me it is highly recomended
Thanks for all the responses.

How would you describe the handling? I'm basically a beginner driver so dont want anything that is going to cause too much trouble for me! Fast and planted is what springs to mind with easy setup. Also what battery, motor and ESC are you running?

You mention you built yours I didnt know there was a kit version - only RTR or the rolling chassis..?

Ideally would like to start racing but from speaking to my local hobby shops most of the local tracks (Derby ish) are more suited to 1/8th cars. Dont really want to go the nitro route as from experience I know it's not for me......hence 1/8th brushless.

Seems like Caster could be the way to go...some hop ups are on their way I believe and Peter at Answer rc has been great at responding to my emails. Maybe time to part with some cash soon!

Before that happens though what are the obvious alternatives to the fusion...for the price are there any?

Thanks in advance again.
Old 06-05-2009

If you are after kits then also available are:
  • The RC8E line up, which includes a buggy (£369.99), truggy (£399.99), and a CORR truck version (£409.99).
  • There is also the Ishima E Rave, which hasn't come out yet, but it won't be too long, (about £300 for the Kit (R version), (it also comes in RTR format (in both S or R versions, early indicators are about £600 for the R, and you do need a battery and charger too), this is mainly due to the better quality electronics than the Caster RTR),
  • The Hyper 9E, like I have, though it won't be out for a few more weeks at least (about £400),
  • Then there is also the Losi 8ight-E 2.0, which is only available with ESC and Motor (which comes to about £600 too), though you can get a nitro one and then buy a conversion kit if you don't want the Losi electronics.
As you can see though, all of these are far pricier than the Caster, but I would say, only bother with the kit, then get your own ESC, motor, servo etc, as you will probably end up replacing the stock ones anyway.

So, overall, whilst the other kits will be better race machines handling wise, if you are just starting out, go with the Caster, it will have quite docile handling, and get used to the electonics and racing before going for anything else.
Old 06-05-2009
Woop Woop Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugrat View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

How would you describe the handling? I'm basically a beginner driver so dont want anything that is going to cause too much trouble for me! Fast and planted is what springs to mind with easy setup. Also what battery, motor and ESC are you running?

You mention you built yours I didnt know there was a kit version - only RTR or the rolling chassis..?

Ideally would like to start racing but from speaking to my local hobby shops most of the local tracks (Derby ish) are more suited to 1/8th cars. Dont really want to go the nitro route as from experience I know it's not for me......hence 1/8th brushless.

Seems like Caster could be the way to go...some hop ups are on their way I believe and Peter at Answer rc has been great at responding to my emails. Maybe time to part with some cash soon!

Before that happens though what are the obvious alternatives to the fusion...for the price are there any?

Thanks in advance again.
handling was very safe on kit settings. i started with 5k5k5k in the 3 diffs but ended up with 10k in the centre. this made the car very safe and easy to drive and gave the extra drive that a electric 8th needs to stop the wheels spooling up.

i personally use a mamba monster speedo and 2650 motor with 2x trackpower 4900 lipos. this gives a very good speed and duration but im not sure ould be suitable for a beginer. i have seen the rtr setup in use and would highly recomend it to go with the car. im not sure if cells come with it. if not then any high rating lipo (4900+ 25c+) would be perfect. as said previously i use track power. there are higher rated cells out there but the trackpower just seems hassle free and has taken loads of abuse in my 10th and 8th cars without issue.

mine was is a pro spec car with beefed up shock mounts. alloy hinge pin braces and a couple of other bits and that comes in kit form. the rtr car has the same geometry tho so base setups will be the same and it helps save you the build bit

pete is fantastic to deal with. always does what he says he will and posts stuff asap every time i have delt with him. as for alternatives there are loads or will be. but the suport and help you will get from the caster team will be second to none. buy with confidence

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 07-05-2009

Thanks again for all the responses guys. Im popping into my LHS tomorrow to see about ordering the Pro Kit when it becomes available (sometime this month hopefully)

Another noob question regarding motors. Compared to say 10th stuff all the brushless motors that people seem to be running in the casters are fairly low kv ratings (2000 ish) compared with say 5900kv 10th style motors, which quite a few people seem to running in Durga's and the like.

Is there any reason for this or have I missed something obvious...?

With 2650kv motors, just how fast are these things with stock gears?

Cheers