Racer 27 49.09%
Radio Race Car International (RRCI) 12 21.82%
RC Car Action 5 9.09%
Other 11 20.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2013
Mad Member

Default Magazine

Same here stopped buying them a while ago and went to have a look last week for something interesting and found that there nothing on the shelves at my local newsagents. Think we are crying out for something that in relevant to a specific category whether that be 1/10th offroad,nitro,etc
Old 11-01-2013
Mad Member

I've not been able to find a magazine for RC cars anywhere
its all trains, planes and boats
Old 11-01-2013

I Find some of the larger branches of WHSmiths will have some.
I sometimes look in Tesco but cannot find any, But can find really odd magazines like chicken keepers monthly or ones on tractors and other such things.
Which leads me to the conclusion that tractors and chickens are more popular than RC Cars !!
Old 11-01-2013
Mad Member

again voted other as there all crap!

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 11-01-2013
Mad Member

My subby for RRC has just expired after about 15 years. I see this "proper racer" Vs basher from both sides as I race AND bash, a lot of you guys forget the fun of just going out and giving them hell for leather with no rules, but I digress.

The content in RRC has, in my opinion, (cos I'm allowed one having read it every month for the above time) gone down hill as far as racing is concerned, it is called radio "race" car but, what I dont see is, articles like it's former rival "Radio Control Model Cars" mag used to have, like for example, a euros report or even better, a detailed look at a top racers car. Then the article after would be one a budget kit or something.

The thing about RRC nowadays is that one can only read so many reviews of an LRP buggy/truggy or a Savage. Maybe the Ed is running out of ideas, I miss the RC motorbike reports, and come to think of it, the large scale off road reports too. Drifting isn't as exciting as either of those imo, maybe the Ed can ask again for bike reports and lose something else, er...like the crawling for instance. unfortunately, you can't please all the people all the time.

The mag seems to mirror what the Ed is in to. When the late Dez Chand was in the seat, it was racing, bikes, large scale, rally X etc, now its Pete Gray (there's more than one apparently) it's all crawling, drifting, crawling and anything HPI or CML pop in the post, a worksop report (yeah ok, I've seen and heard enough about "Muzzy" and co the last year or two to last me a life time (no offence Mark Christopher), a bit of 12th and.....that's it really.

I did like the Americana column and the RRC unwinds column as it had something different as racers here are a little short sighted when it comes to supporting anything that isn't hardcore race fodder. Monster Trucks for instance. "they're not proper race machines", who cares, lets race em anyway, or just plough them in to home made ramps and damn the consequences , shocking.

It also has to be said, The magazine DOES have a place. I've just started a casual interest in to RC helicoptors, what's the 1st thing I did? Buy a heli mag. I personally feel that, for me, the previous has run it's course.
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 11-01-2013

I used to get rrci and rcmc magazines back in the early 90's,they both covered national and regional offroad racing and did really good reviews but now rrci should be called "crawler international" okay it's a great section for rc modellers and I've got several crawlers and scalers myself but its a very small niche compared to 10th offroad and its getting a bit long in the tooth,there's no 10th offroad buggy regional's been covered which I thought was the best bits in the magazine okay nationals are great and it is the main thing but I like to see what the everyday chap is doing/using at the local clubs,there's hardly any mardaves /micros/shortcourse/stockcar either,theres hardly any adverts from shops in the uk apart from the major players,it's also very thin-I now buy rc car action magazine it's 3 times as thick,the stuff in there is 1-2 months ahead of what we get over here,it also has tips pages,car setup hints from the sponsored drivers,its got adverts from smaller shops.
I just want a magazine like what we used to have 20 years ago....
and 65 other pre 1998 iconic rc cars....

Nosram Novak Orion lrp Reedy Turnigy Futaba Schumacher proline

ACTIVE SCALE MODELS.CO.UK........better than some other model shop's ive been too...
Old 11-01-2013
Mad Member

Last year I bought a few of these mags at Luton airport to read while i was on a 3hr flight.I had a quick flick through and left them on the plane for someone else to get bored with.
They were just full of rock crawler shite and next to nothing about "RACING"
Maybe they should change the names of the mags
Old 18-01-2013

I subscribe to racer ,nice lay out, but the out of date races are so annoying 3 months later than oOple and no where near as good.
Also they are alright but they try and do all sectors of Rc including boats and rockets sometimes it would be loads better if they kept it down to just 10th.
They also never highlight the bad points in the reviews as they are just trying to advertise the cars
Old 18-01-2013

Having just got back into RC racing, the first thing I grabbed was a magazine to see how much had changed during my time away. They are very easy to grab and read, with plenty of information that helps bring you up to speed with what's on the market etc. although this is mainly through the adverts!

I agree that there is not enough "real" criticism of the kits available, presumably worried about upsetting people, which would stop their supply of free stuff. I remember looking through the last 4-5 copies of Racer and I didn't see a single review score less than 4 stars, despite some significant "worries" being highlighted by the reviewer. This is counter intuitive though as there are many magazines that review items, and it is precisely because of their strict, detailed and through testing reports that people buy the magazines and manufacturers still send on their wares, mainly due to the readership volumes.

I think that the perfect format for these magazines would be a cross between What Car and Autosport (2 magazines I've looked at regularly for years). One provides detailed, trusted and informative reporting and testing of new kit on the market. The other provides a great review and reporting service for all levels and classes of motorsport (from F1, Le Mans, WRC, British TC, DTM, Club Minis, Hill Climbs etc.) which appeal to those who cannot get to these events themselves.

This I feel would then be able to appeal to all of hose inf=volved in RC, from newbies, to bashers to racers, regardless of scale and class.

I do like Racer's info sheets on what kit racers are using at each event, which is great for newbies, but most of their international event reporting comes straight from manufacturers so it is completely biased and ofton ignores other manufacturers' racers and results!

Just a thought!

If you don't ask, you'll never know!
Old 18-01-2013

velocity rc is a digital only mag...this is from the guys that did extreme rc mag..$10 a year to subscribe or $2 an issue
Old 18-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmacher View Post
velocity rc is a digital only mag...this is from the guys that did extreme rc mag..$10 a year to subscribe or $2 an issue
Just paid for a subscription but I'll be damned if I can open it on my iPad

Edit: oops found another link
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 19-01-2013

i very rarely buy any of them now.
alot of the time i find they have stuff in that isnt remotely related to racing, and they tend to be more focused to circuit racing in the reports etc which i have no interest in.