Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff > TamTech-Gear

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-02-2008
Mad Member

Default Racing the GB-01

I've now raced the GB-01 quite a few times and all I can say is that it is an awesome 2WD micro platform to race. The car is quick, steers really well and can almost hang with the 4WD's. The upcoming UKMicroX event in March will have a dedicated 2WD Open class and this car should perform really well (or so I am hoping).

My car has had several modifications, upgrades and I've learnt some lessons. I think all the alloy hopups I have fitted are by no means necessary but it helps with reliability and it adds much needed weight to heep the car planted.

Some lessons:
1. The Tamiya Aeration shocks are not worth the money. They have stiction even with the low friction O-rings and the shock shafts break real easy. I am still unable to find replacement shock shafts from anywhere.

2. Do not use the Blue alloy ball studds, they ar emade of cheese and keep snapping off.

3. If you use lipo's you will need to add some weight to keep the car on the ground.

4. The car has a lot of on power under steer (push) and I am working to reduce that but it's difficult to solve.

Some mods include:
fitting an RC18 RPM bumper
running the shocks upside down to reduce shock shaft breakages
1/10 wheel adapter so I can run Gecko foams

Here are some pics:

Phatbodies Bender prototype wing