Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Mardave

Old 09-05-2014

Default Anyone else have trouble breaking servo cases?

Hi guys, Ive been racing mardaves for about 6 or so years now, always used a futaba s9550 servo, a few weeks ago the casing broke on it, it broke near the top side of the servo just at the mounting lugs, i thought the kit mounts may have been partly to blame because of them only mounting to the servo with one screw, so i replaced the mounts with alloy ones from a schumacher mi4, this attaches it solidly to the chassis with 4 screws, put another s9550 servo in and it has only lasted one week before breaking aswell, is there soemthing im doing wrong, obviously if you dont hit the car it wont break but ive had that last servo in it for 6 years and it was fine and my driving hasnt got any worse lol. im using a kimbrough servo saver by the way, ive a new fastrax one orderd along with a new servo hoping it doesnt break too cant afford to be changing servos all the time. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-05-2014
Mad Member

You can probably get replacement cases for that servo.
Doesn't solve your problem, but makes fixing it easier.
Old 10-05-2014
Mad Member

Yup, tower hobbies have them for $8.49.
Should be able to get them from a few places in the uk.

Might it be worth mounting them less rigidly, as it sounds like the case tabs are the weakest link in your current set up. Maybe use the rubber mounts/bushes that come with most servos. Let the servo float around on the chassis as it flexes, rather than resisting. And cracking
Old 11-05-2014

For the last 3 years or so I have been gluing my servos to my chassis rather than using the standard posts. I think having a slightly rubbery joint between the chassis and servo allows some impacts to be absorbed.

It all started because I bought an S9550 servo second hand for a real bargain - it only had one lug hole left, the previous owner has broken the other three off! So, sand the remaining lug off, scratch up the bottom of the case slightly and add a healthy dollop of ShooGoo.

It has worked a treat. I have never (touch wood) broken it off during a race, but a knife blade under a corner, a quick tweak and it can be taken off and swapped into another chassis.

My only word of caution is to have a very clean chassis and allow plenty of time for the goo to dry (overnight minimum). Also, keep an eye on it for the first hour or so after adding the glue - it has a tendency to "creep" if the chassis is not resting perfectly flat.

Hope this helps,

James
Old 14-05-2014

I broke many servos, ths is one of the things that promted me to start making my own chassis.
The hole spacing on a standard Mardave chassis is too far apart to support the servo properly, fit the posts to the chassis first then fit the servo to them - this ensures there is as little stress as possible