Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 11-09-2016
Mad Member

New body for a slow return into the the hobby after a several month break. If weather permits, I'll hit the dirt track in Hamm with a 17.5 turn slomo motor next weekend, or if the race is postponed, I may have to risk my car with a faster motor and act as a mobile speed bump at the Nürburgring race. After visiting the German 2WD championship today, I can't wait to race again!
Old 11-09-2016

Nice paint.

In The Pits: Yokomo R12C, Yokomo MR4-TC Custom, Yokomo MR4-TC Pro, Yokomo MR4-Rally, Tamiya Blitzer Beetle, Tamiya M05.

Driven: Race Red Fiesta ST
Old 12-09-2016

Nice paint Marcus!

Too bad I don't go to the EOS since I have other stuff planned for that weekend

Last edited by skyaflake; 12-09-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes View Post
New body for a slow return into the the hobby after a several month break. If weather permits, I'll hit the dirt track in Hamm with a 17.5 turn slomo motor next weekend, or if the race is postponed, I may have to risk my car with a faster motor and act as a mobile speed bump at the Nürburgring race. After visiting the German 2WD championship today, I can't wait to race again!
Yeah nice looking paint job. What are the tyres and where do yo use them?
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-09-2016
Mad Member

Thank you, guys! It is another paint job by Guido Kraft, inspired by Mark Pavidis' current livery. He was the last one to win an IFMAR worlds title with a YZ car in 1995 IIRC.

@Dennis: Sorry to hear that! Make sure to keep an eye on the race scheduled for March.

@Neal: These are JConcepts Goosebumps. New ones are good on loose dirt tracks with a thick layer of dust (i.e. off the racing line ) or when the soil is rather soft. Once the pins are worn down, they are essentially a kind of bar tyre for dry and hard packed surfaces. The green compound is on the soft side, I'd say in between PL M3 and M4.
Old 18-09-2016

Default New body?

Does anyone know what body Lee was running for qualifying a EOS and was featured in the redrc chassis focus? It looked pretty wicked. He seemed to change back to a standard body for the mains though?

Answer to my own question, the new body is a soon to be released collaborative effort between LMR and MR33. It looks good!

Last edited by HeavyD99; 18-09-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 19-09-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD99 View Post

Answer to my own question, the new body is a soon to be released collaborative effort between LMR and MR33. It looks good!
That's what I heard!

Back from the dirt track, and I had lots of fun! I used Lee's Euros set-up as a basis, but was too lazy to refill my rear diff and check shock oils as it was a just for fun race on a tight track with a 17.5 turn motor. After moving the rear shocks one hole to the inside on the shock tower, I was as happy with the car as the goose bumps and empty rear diff permitted, and my average lap times were not too far off from most of the modified racers except the really fast guys. In the two qualifiers I attended I had some nice dogfights with an RC10 WC, but as the track dried up, the YZ's 4WD drive train proved its worth and the car (not me) took three easy wins against my various 2WD contenders despite being on the wrong tyres. The Trinity Revtech 24K 17.5 was not too slow at all. Considering the size of the track and lack of traction, 8.5 to 10.5 turns would be plenty for an average driver like me , I guess.
If you happen to have an old-school dirt track nearby, give it a chance!

Last edited by mes; 19-09-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 18-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphee View Post
Couple of body options if your running indoor. Both fit really well and only require minimal mods to clear pulleys, i wouldnt run them outdoor due to exposure, but its an option if your not a fan of the Lifeboat kit shell.

lee

Hello, can someone tell me what buggies these bodies are originally from?
Old 18-10-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Proline phantom/Jc punisher from associated 44.3

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 17-11-2016
Mad Member

Finally!

...but I don't see a way to install the left-threaded stub axle.

Last edited by mes; 18-11-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 14-12-2016
Mad Member

Has anyone had a chance to try the double-joint driveshafts yet? As it is not one of the cheaper option parts, I wonder if it is worth buying for a car that has hardly seen any action in my hands recently.
Old 14-12-2016

They really do smooth the front end out and eliminate steering chatter you get on the YZ-4. Like you say they aren't cheap and the other downside is that you have to dremel the hubs slightly so they don't rub.
Old 21-01-2017
Mad Member

http://events.redrc.net/2017/01/chas...n-maifield-15/
Some updates on the way, as it seems. With the release of that chassis focus article, I guess it is already too late to sell my shelved YZ-4.
Old 01-02-2017
Mad Member

More updates found at Tonisport:

Z4-300FL2
Z4-300FB2

(narrow front suspension mount parts)

Last edited by mes; 01-02-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2017

I do not think that the standard car is that bad as it is, remember Mayfield is running on clay if you are running on Astro as I am the car is probably more capable, as always new tyres are the best tuning option next to practice
Old 03-02-2017
Mad Member

I really do think that the YZ-4 is a great car both on dirt and on CA, and I like the fact that Yokomo continues to increase its competitiveness. Alas, keeping it up-to-date comes at a price. Of course, you don't need all those parts as an average hobby driver, but if I was to continue with the YZ-4 I would need them because race car!
Old 03-02-2017

I know what you mean about at a cost, when the Associated B6 that was used by RC and won the Reedy race, it looked as out of the box as I have ever seen.

I am a racer as well and if you don't have the upgrades the top drivers are using you feel at a disadvantage be for you even put the car on the track even if you are only doing club meetings.

Associated seem to me to get it right with the B6 so far with a minimum of upgrades, I guess that may be because they used the YZ2 as a basis for the B6 and by taking that initial design and ironing out the issues they saw jumped ahead of Yokomo, now Yokomo are pushing forward with new part to get ahead of the others again.

I must admit a friend just brought a B6 and is going much quicker and more consistent than he ever was with his YZ2.

Sorry to divert to mention the B6 and YZ2 for example

Last edited by CARB; 03-02-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2017
Mad Member

If 4WD was my true passion, I'd bought all that stuff already. Yokomo has been my favourite since the 90s (when I could not afford their stuff),and if they had an ST, I had not bought the XT2 but rather the YZ-2CAST. At the moment, RC is just a secondary hobby, and therefore I prefer STs, which are more forgiving yet almost as agile as 2WD buggies.

Back to the YZ-4, though! I'd not be surprised to see a YZ-4II later this year. With the number of high-value upgrade parts available, and the shorter chassis and larger pulleys spotted at the RROC, it would cost you a fortune to replicate the car that will compete for the 2017 IFMAR title. Atsushi Hara has no electric off-road worlds title yet, it is about time!