Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 14-12-2014

I sent my Lynx decal image to MCI. Lynx repro decals will finally be available now. TBG already sell repro bodies.
Old 15-12-2014

I was bored so I decided to try repairing the original body. I removed the paint with brake fluid, which was a mess, and took a lot of time. Then I painted it according to the box art. The body became more brittle and a little discolored from using the same brush to remove paint from the red wing and the body though. I cut out some lexan sheet and glued inside the body to make new side windows as well. It looks acceptable now.

The decals are all my own prints. I found a way to make the water based ink durable. I simply sprayed the decal sheet with a thin coat of enamel clear coat after drying. The result is pretty good.

The original decals are not exactly like the ones on the box art graphics. I suspect that some of the decoration on the box art model was painted (red and blue). My decals are true to the original decals I removed from the body, but the difference from the box art is obvious.

The CIBI logos on the headlight covers on the original decals are actually mirrored and upside down. They look correct as the text is so small, but they are definitely mirrored when you read the text and compare to the official logo. I decided to make my repro decals the same way. The only thing I changed on my repro decals was the color of the Lynx. It was clear on my original, but the box art has a yellow background on the lynx head. Other cars I see pictures of also have a yellow background, and I think my old car had it as well. Not sure why there's a difference.

I installed a cheap chinese brushed ESC to replace the smoking mechanical original. I also opened up the gearbox because it seemes to be really draggy. The gear mesh and bushing fit is just really tight in there, but the gears are like new. I ran an endmill through the bushings, which improved it. It runs like a champ now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lynx04.jpg (129.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg horic2009-img600x450-1345072557zxdmry83750.jpg (44.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by tahustvedt; 15-12-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 15-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahustvedt View Post
I sent my Lynx decal image to MCI. Lynx repro decals will finally be available now. TBG already sell repro bodies.
Cool, efforts like these help others that are rebuilding the same car. Self printed decals look pretty good.