Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 24-08-2013

Default Finally; My Kyosho Javelin Collection, Repro 'ed Roll Cage

Always loved the Javelin, sleek lines, unique look... probabbly one of the best looking buggies of all times...
So after getting my hands on the orange one, I also wanted to get the yellow and green to add to my collection... Yeah right!!!
Everyone knows how rare are the yellow and green are, not to mention the high prices. So after seeing one go in ebay go for $600+ for a plastic bag with flimsy yellow plastic parts inside!!!! So this marked decision time for me, and so the decision was made; If I wanted all three I would have to make my own...

So, finally... After countless hours on Cad design, custom made forming and bending dies, laser cutting, three jigs, multiple skin burns, one busted roll cage and three pilot roll cages... It's done... I've mastered the delicate lines of the mighty Javelin!!!

It's amazing how a simple roll cage can get so darn difficult to make. Needless to say the end product looks just like the original, with the exception that mines are made out of metal, stainless steel to be precise.

I just returned home from the shop today, after taking the day off just to work on my roll cages it finally paid off... I'm soooo darn tired.
Tomorrow I will be spending the day giving the final touches and giving them the paint job; One in green, one in yellow, one in gold and black for Goldie, one in red, one in blue, one in black, one in.... whatever color I feel like too

Pictures comming soon!!!!

Last edited by optiman; 29-11-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 24-08-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiman View Post
Always loved the Javelin, sleek lines, unique look... probabbly one of the best looking buggies of all times...
So after getting my hands on the orange one, I also wanted to get the yellow and green to add to my collection... Yeah right!!!
Everyone knows how rare are the yellow and green are, not to mention the high prices. So after seeing one go in ebay go for $600+ for a plastic bag with flimsy yellow plastic parts inside!!!! This marked decision time for me, and so the decision was made; If I wanted all three I would have to make my own...

So, finally... After countless hours on Cad design, custom made forming and bending dies, laser cutting, three jigs, multiple skin burns, one busted roll cage and three pilot roll cages... It's done... I've mastered the delicate lines of the mighty Javelin!!!

It's amazing how a simple roll cage can get so darn difficult to make. Needless to say the end product looks just like the original, with the exeption that mines are made out of metal, stainless steel to be precise.

I just returned home from the shop today, after taking the day off just to work on my roll cages it finally paid off... I'm soooo darn tired.
Tomorrow I will be spending the day giving the final touches and giving them the paint job; One in green, one in yellow, one in gold and black for Goldie, one in red, one in blue, one in black, one in.... whatever color I feel like too

Pictures comming soon!!!!
Sell them! You'll make a killing
Old 24-08-2013
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

nice
Old 24-08-2013

In a matter of hours I'll be displaying the first "Javesteel" out of the mill, finished and painted!!!! Woohooo!!!
Old 25-08-2013

I'd love to see one polished
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 25-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post
I'd love to see one polished
Hmmm... mirror finish.... not a bad idea!!! It would be a killer for both the looks and my fingers, but totally worth it!!!

Anyways... as promised... PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladys and Gents... I give you; Mr. Green

Old 25-08-2013

Yesterday was a busy day and only got chance to finish painting just a few Javesteel roll cages. The paint was uncooperative and seemed that it would never dry. I took Mr. Green all tacky back home from the shop, hang it on one corner of the house and assembled it this morning into my Optima chassis, hope you like it!

PS: Javesteel are officially for sale!!! Will add them to my website's store, come up with a price and special oOple friends special price

The Javesteel roll cage will include; All TIG welded, handcrafted roll cage complete with roof and number plate, inner roll cage bar, fabricated side guards just like the one the Optima has installed in the pictures.
Will also include for the first 10 buyers a bonus motor guard.
More details on my next post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (189.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (188.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (171.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (188.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg e.jpg (193.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg f.jpg (217.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg g.jpg (205.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg h.jpg (157.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg i.jpg (161.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg j.jpg (205.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 26-08-2013

What bloody fantastic work!! If I was old enough to know what a Javelin was, I'd want one!!
Respect dude

Nick - CAA Qualified TIG welder
Old 27-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashtest33 View Post
What bloody fantastic work!! If I was old enough to know what a Javelin was, I'd want one!!
Respect dude

Nick - CAA Qualified TIG welder
Thank you very much Nick!
I have to be honest; Cutting, bending and welding all those tiny rods is starting to get into my nerves!!!! I am use to welding, designing and fabricating stuff, heck that is what my business is all about, but those tiny rods... They never seem to end!!!

Gentlemen you will have to excuse me, I know I said that today I would post prices, purchasing method, etc.. But I simply did not have the time today. Today we finished several more roll cages that will get coated tomorrow. I can give a heads up, colors available will be green, yellow, orange, blue, red, black and gold.
Old 27-08-2013

Well done indeed!
Do you consider making them in aluminum?
And where exactly do I find these for sale!
Old 28-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcp22 View Post
Well done indeed!
Do you consider making them in aluminum?
And where exactly do I find these for sale!
Thank you.

I might concider doing it in the future, but for now I will work with stainless. Major problem with aluminum is the welding. For me since there are a lot of small parts I usually take my welding gloves off to get a better grip on what I am working on when working with small things/low heat. Stainless gives me more time between the welding and the heat transfer than aluminum, in other words this would mean more burns!!!

Anyways, shop is open!!!
Here is how is going o work; "The oOple friends daily special"
I have 10 roll cages ready, but I am going to keep one(Goldie's). That leaves 9 available which two of them are already separated by Naushad and DanB4 whom they both each told me they wanted one from day 1. So that leaves me with 7 roll cages ready available.

Each roll cage set will include; roll cage, roof panel and number plate(both already attached), a set of fabricated side guards(rod is not attached by screws, but welded) and a bonus, free custom made motor guard. The motor guard looks similar, but not exactly to the original. It attaches by slidding it thru the bar that attaches the plates together. I will post pictures later, anyways is a freebie.

So, the first 7 people to complete a purchase via Paypal thru the website will get the roll cage with the free motor guard.
IF there is a 8th or more purchases I will contact the buyer(s) and do the following; (A) Cancel the order as per buyers request or (B) Buyer will wait for the next batch of roll cages to be done, but no free motor guard will be included. Also, it is very possible that there will be a slight increase in the price of each roll cage after some period of time. These little things are painstakingly hard to make, it takes hours just to make one, so the price you will see now is for oOple friends eye's only and it will not last that way very long.

Note to all buyers, I will need to know the color and if the buggy has installed stabilizer bars. If the buggy is equipped with stabilizer bars the roll cage needs to be a 1/8" shorter. The original Javelin did not came with stabilizer bars and the roll cage is plastic and is super flexible, stainless is not.

Well, here is the link to my store:
http://bermudezcustomdesign.ipage.com/store/page6.html
By the way, I am a serious and responsable human being. I've done hundreds of transactions overseas, all over the globe, my reputation as a seller is top notch. Just do a quick search of "bbsdesigns turbo" which is one of my business that deals with people around the globe and you will know me better.
Old 28-08-2013

Wow Optiman this is AMAZING! That golden Javelin is so nice it hurts

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 28-08-2013

Lot's of thank's Gayo, really appreciated!!!
Let me say that is not going to be easy parting out of all of this candy, they surely look nice on my shelf. I only wish I had 3-4 more chassis
Old 29-08-2013

Fantastic work! So impressed I just ordered a gold cage...hope I got one in time.

Kudos for putting the time and effort into such a great product...I'm sure they'll be very popular.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 29-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenianjames View Post
Fantastic work! So impressed I just ordered a gold cage...hope I got one in time.

Kudos for putting the time and effort into such a great product...I'm sure they'll be very popular.

Cheers,

Steve
Thank you Steve!
Your order will go out tomorrow.
Seems like everyone is going for the gold
Have to admit... Is the best
Old 29-08-2013

Teaser pic

Old 01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenianjames View Post

Cheers,

Steve
Steve pm sent!! Javesteel's tracking number!!!
Old 06-09-2013

They look very nice Optiman. I had the idea of trying to make a cage from 6mm alloy rod a fears ago. I got as far as ordering the rod and that's as far as it went.

Have you considered doing the nerf bars in the rod as well instead of the Option House type?

Keith
Old 07-09-2013

Hi Keith and thank you very much!

Yes, there was a debate at first, but we decided to go with the option house style. Why? Easier to make. The original style are harder to make, meaning more cutting jigs and fab jigs as well as the screw tabs, plus more grinding/polishing = higher costs

Since the option house style looks better and are easier to fabricate, plus they do add a little of attitude to the Javelin, we decided to go with them.

>>My Trader Feedback<<

Last edited by optiman; 29-11-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 24-09-2013

Well what started as a simple wish that I carried back from the 80's to own the orange Javelin ended up in hoping to one day also getting the yellow and green... jaja I never imagined that I would endup with neither of those colors!!!
So after coating all kinds of colors in different Javelins, I ended up with one gold for Goldie, one glitter gold for the original orange Javelin and one "Turbo Javelin" tribute roll cage for my Turbo Optima. If I die today I would die a happier man

So giving it's propper closure to this thread and this endeavour for the Javelin collection here are the pictures of all three, enjoy!

Now I think I will get a break from the R/C vintage scene...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JavelinCollectioncomp.jpg (434.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg goldcollage.jpg (161.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg glittergoldcollage.jpg (162.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg TurboJavelinCollage.jpg (178.2 KB, 20 views)

>>My Trader Feedback<<