Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 21-11-2012

Default Track for Sunday

Any thoughts on the track we'll be using indoor on Sunday yet lads?

Chris
Old 21-11-2012
Mad Member

As long as its actually 50-50 this week I'm not bothered .... :-)
Old 21-11-2012

figure of 8 - 100% wood floor?
Old 21-11-2012
Mad Member

Piss off Chris...:-) woody said we should go more 50/50 as well, just gotta keep Coleman away from the build ;-) otherwise it'll be all drop off and slippy floor ha
Old 21-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Collingwood View Post
Piss off Chris...:-) woody said we should go more 50/50 as well, just gotta keep Coleman away from the build ;-) otherwise it'll be all drop off and slippy floor ha
he he yeah need to get stu on the track building case!!
Old 21-11-2012

We shouldn't knock Matt's track at least he took the time to design it. I for one think the design and layout was actually very good, a good mix of flowing and tight corners. What wasnt so good was there was simply too little carpet or carpet in the wrong areas. Tight infield sections should be grippy carpet, straights and sweepers do not matter as the car just needs to flow and braking isn't required. If we had exactly the same layout as last time I'd be more than happy provided there was a 70/30 carpet to slippy bias.

My only worry is that many who struggled at the first round may not bother this time as it was so hard to get around for the inexperienced racer.

Chris
Old 21-11-2012
Mad Member

Totally agree slow tight sections should definately be carpet, strategic carpet placement is very important and should be at least 50/50 if not 60/40.
Old 21-11-2012
Banned

As a club we are the only people at club level that offer slippy sections.
So why cover it up??

It's not all about top end speed it's car control. It's the sort of track that will improve all the drivers.

At round one I took the time to plan the track and build it. If I had not have done the plan and had the track layed out we simply would not have had a track!

I won't be there for RD2 on Sunday, So lets we what happens!
Old 21-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

We should certainly have slippery sections - as Matt says the rest of the local clubs are 100% carpet, astro or whatever for indoor, so the variation is good.
However, it does matter that the track is suitable for ALL users. We'll never satisfy everyone, but it should be possible for our lowest heat drivers to complete whole laps without spinning out on a corner.
We've used a polished floor and carpet combination for Coney Green and Waterhead and it doesn't normally attract the comments last meetings track did, so I figure something in the layout wasn't quite right, but then I haven't seen it.
We'll do something different this week and see.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 21-11-2012
Mad Member

We're not saying cover it all up, it should just be carpet with slippy sections not the other way around. At least 50/50, last time was a bit silly even stu said it was a bit much, it was more like 80% wooden floor. And our point is that we're not all about going fast, the car is fine in fast flowing sections it's just that on slow tight sections that it becomes a joke with 2wd.
End of the day like you said you went to all that effort last time and we gave it a try but we'll do it this way this time and I bet the overall consensus is that a better balance of both carpet and wood is better
Old 22-11-2012

This thread has turned unneccessarily negative which was not my intention when I started it. Some of the comments aimed towards Matt's track are completely uncalled for and are not helping the club. Matt put in a huge amount of effort going away planning the track all week then assembling it on the day while the rest of us didn't. I accept that a (unacceptably) small number of us actually helped set up the track but without Matt there would not have been a meeting of that quality at all. The track layout was superb and unbalanced criticism towards the designer is not going to help the club.

I myself have made suggestions to what I feel could benefit the track and make the experience better for the average club racer but have tried to do it in a balenced way which is a suggestion rather than a demand which is what we need to do as a club.
With Matt's announcement that he shall not be at round 2 we as a club need to stand up and take on the hard work that Matt put in not bicker on message boards. Not permanent venues are always a struggle as the vast majority just want to turn up, throw their cars down and go home leaving the same few to put the work in.
As for the carpet situation, it's all about manpower and will. I'm sure if people can be bothered to carry all the carpet needed into the all we will use it but it requires help...and lots of it.
I shall be there from 9am to set up and if you feel it would help I will come up with a track design in advance as Matt did that can be negotiated on the day.
I for one feel that Matt's layout was perfectly good but I do have a few suggestions...not complaints of how to make it better for all without using any more carpet.

We have 5 days to gauge people's sensible suggestions on here so if people have specific suggestions to what we can do let's share them and see what people think..what we don't want is a group of people bickering in the hall on Sunday morning.

Chris

Matt
Old 22-11-2012

Matts name at the bottom of my post is a typo...damn you cut and paste!! Ha!

Chris
Old 22-11-2012

ill be there at 9.30 to lugg it all inside (
Old 22-11-2012
Mad Member

As I'll be in the same car as you Chris so I'll be there at nine too. It very annoying when people are there at 9am too and just sit in the pits all morning till booking in time, it's very frustrating for the people building the track so I think there should be more people getting on their case about helping us, as its not fair. Other than that should be fun on Sunday
Old 22-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well I'll try to be there to setup - but you know I'll stay to clear up at least.....

As for the track - we are going about this the wrong way. Design the circuit, then work backwards which bits need to be carpet.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 22-11-2012
Gypsy Member

i would like to resubmit an old track design for consideration, im hoping that maybe people will see sense and relise that indoor or out this would be the uks premier rc track

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=track
Old 23-11-2012

Oh yes i like that
Sworkz
Bury metro
Old 24-11-2012

I've drawn up a track design for tomorrow that we can use if people are in favour. I'm open to a few suggestions but I feel it offers a good mix of grippy and slippy. A few tweaks here and there and we should have a good valences track.

Chris
Old 24-11-2012

*Balenced track
Old 24-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
I've drawn up a track design for tomorrow that we can use if people are in favour. I'm open to a few suggestions but I feel it offers a good mix of grippy and slippy. A few tweaks here and there and we should have a good valences track.

Chris
Lets got with it, either way it'll save time if we know what the track layout is