Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 05-05-2009

Default 1/8 brushless conversion

Hi i have finnely seen the bright side and joind oople after 2 years!!

I've always run 1/10 electric and now changed to 1/8 nitro truggy Lot more fun). But the nitro is doing my head in. I'm running a losi 8t. I'm read all the forums i can find and i've enden up where i started.

I've looked at the losi and novak conversion kit and gone for losi as lay out looks a lot better.
Lipos i hope to use demon pack as they are good packs and cheap. Used them before in 1/10.
As for motor and speedo, hell nows where to start.
The m-troniks looks good but the motor shaft dia is not 5mm. Good point it's waterproof.
I have always used novak and trusted in them. but it is not cheap.
And then everybody seems to be talking about hobbywings. Which speedo 80A or 150A and what kv/turn motor will best suit a truggy. Nice and cheap. In a truggy it's not really water tight.

I'm sure there must be someone or someone's out there to send me in a better direction.
Old 05-05-2009

Welcome to the Forums!

Q+A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcrcrus View Post
I've looked at the losi and novak conversion kit and gone for losi as lay out looks a lot better.
1. I agree, the Losi kit is waaaaaay better than the Novak one.
Quote:
Lipos i hope to use demon pack as they are good packs and cheap. Used them before in 1/10.
2. I've had no experience with these packs, but I would say provided they are 25C continuous or better, and you have a decent capacity (like 5000mAh) they should be fine. Note you will need to run at least two of them in series to get at least 14.8V.
Quote:
As for motor and speedo, hell nows where to start.
3. I would recommend the Castle Creations Monster Mamba Max ESC and Motor Combo (I would go with the 2200kV Combo for a truggy. You can get this from Horizon UK). If you go for the HobbyWing, then you will also need a motor.
Quote:
The m-troniks looks good but the motor shaft dia is not 5mm. Good point it's waterproof.
4. I wouldn't bother with the MTroniks, the ESC's current rating is only about 80A continuous, and about 100A Burst, chances are, your set-up will peak at over 150A. Though waterproof IS nice!
Quote:
I have always used novak and trusted in them. but it is not cheap.
5. For the price of the Novak I would go with a Castle Combo, or a 150A HobbyWing with a Medusa Research Motor (like I have - they really are very good). They will be better suited to the truggy role. The Novak motors are too high kV really to be race-suitable, and the ESC is not rated to the same Voltage as the others, which offer you more set-up flexibility.
Quote:
And then everybody seems to be talking about hobbywings. Which speedo 80A or 150A and what kv/turn motor will best suit a truggy. Nice and cheap. In a truggy it's not really water tight.
6. 150A definately. I would say about 1800 - 2200kV would be about right for a truggy, you do need motor length as well though! (70mm is desirable).

To work out the set-up the best site ever is this one: http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html
Just experiment with different set-ups, and aim for a 40mph top speed.

As far as where to get motors, ESC's etc, look no further than here:
http://www.rc-monster.com
They also have very informative forums too.

Hope this has helped.
Old 06-05-2009

Sorted all my Q answered in one lol! Cheers mate!!!
Old 08-05-2009

If your interested I've just posted an MGM ESC and Neu brushless motor for sale which have come out of my Losi 8T. They only had about 6 runs as I've moved over to RC heli's.
Old 08-05-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Garry Driffill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramey View Post
I've moved over to RC heli's.
T-Rex
Old 08-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Driffill View Post
T-Rex
T Rex 600 Nitro Sport, T Rex 600 Nitro Pro & X-Cell Spectra G 23cc gasser
Old 09-05-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Garry Driffill

Very nice collection!
Old 14-08-2009

Hi,

I was wondering about the LOSI brushless conversion for a 8ight 2.0 T and I have at least 2 concerns :

1° 2100kv with 4S is perfect for the buggy. What would you recommand for the Truggy. Is 2400kv enough (knowing nitro engines for Truggies are roughly 20% more powerfull)?

2° what about the body shell ? It looks like LOSI provides a body with a bloody hole for the engine. Any suggestion ? (not sure the Jconcept body shell would fit with the electric motor).

Thank you for your comments.
Old 14-08-2009

You want to run a lower kV in a truggy, and gear up, as the lower kV motors are more torquey, which is needed in a truggy. Something like a 1900 or 1700kV would be good. It is a common misconception that high kV=more powerful, but it is simply that they have more revs than torque. In a truggy, you need more torque, so go for lower kV. It's better to run a truggy on 5S too, for the efficiency gains. If you do, go for a 1700kV motor.

The bodies will fit, the electrics don't really stick up any more than the nitro radio box.