Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8 Nitro Off Road / Rallycross

Old 06-01-2010

Default more noob help

I'm looking into getting myself a nitro, probably a 1/8th off-roader as there's bugger all nitro on-road near me.

I'm looking at a Hyper 7, possibly the TQ Sport, as I want def want one that's BRCA legal right now, even if I don't compete in a brca event in my first year.

Anyone got any suggestions.
Old 06-01-2010

Send a message via MSN to savageracer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldmodels View Post
I'm looking into getting myself a nitro, probably a 1/8th off-roader as there's bugger all nitro on-road near me.

I'm looking at a Hyper 7, possibly the TQ Sport, as I want def want one that's BRCA legal right now, even if I don't compete in a brca event in my first year.

Anyone got any suggestions.

For it to BRCA legal, you will need a 21 engine which the TQ sport is, you will also need a EFRA pipe which the sport dosnt have but most/if not all RTR's come with out one. If your not racing nationals pipes ect. dont really matter for club racing

If you plan on racing nationals have a look at the hyper 8.5 BRCA edition, which is fully legal for nationals: http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000003202

Jake

Radio Racers Team Driver----Blue Lightning RC Products
www.radio-racers.co.uk
www.bluelightningrcproducts.com
Old 06-01-2010

All depends what you want to spend as there are loads on the market now and were you are based Hypers are a good car but you will end up putting better servos in after first or second race as the standards arnt that good . I started with a hyper7 for my son 2 years ago but cost me abit to repair and upgrade . once you have a price in mind It would be easier to help you

Bf

Associated rc8 x3
Mardave
Cat sx
Now a Xray m18t
Old 06-01-2010

Default prices

Well this is why I'm doing my research now. With me having a shop, I get things at trade price too remember. I would go for the hyper 7 black as the retail price is only £10 more, but it's not brca legal. I don't want to spend too much, and find that I end up not liking it, and will have wasted money I could use for something else. I'm dipping my toe in the water here, and had already thought of replacing the servos, especially with the plummet in price of ko servos.

Retail price of the TQ Sport is £250, so I have around about that area to play with, so I can go upto the £350 mark approximately. I'm thinking hyper 7 or 8, possibly even going for the electric version, although that really won't help me out with knowing how nitro works, which is the main reason I'm doing this, so I can be better when nitro customers come in the shop.
Old 06-01-2010

I would highly recommend the Hyper 8.5-Kit ideally or the BRCA package
I ran the 8.5 Kit for a few years and loved it-Very strong! and is a good chassis. I mainly run nitro and have run the 8.5 Kit hyper 9 and now Xray 809 spec.
But for a starter car the 8.5 Is a beauty.. the hyper 7 is good too.. but the 8.5 is worth the extra £ and parts are available everywhere. My choice is the 8.5. Brca version.. which is perfect for a starter!
Old 06-01-2010

I would run a 8.5 as well for a few meets to see what you think and then sell it in the shop second hand as you should loose nealy no money on it . Just dont run it too long before you change .

Hope this helps

Bf

Associated rc8 x3
Mardave
Cat sx
Now a Xray m18t
Old 06-01-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I started with an 8.5 and a Picco P3B engine, good package, shame I never liked the class, too much engine fiddling, so the 8.5 is being electrified this season!!
Old 07-01-2010

Yea I would really make sure you are wanting to do the fiddly stuff.. and to be patient.-Like breaking in the engines properly-I assume you have some experience with nitro..owning a shop. you need to be, rebuilding it fully after every 2 meets at least.. after run in the engine if left for more than a few weeks. And small things replacing clutch bearings, clutch shoes.. ect.. its a lot more £ then leccy.. as there are small things like glow plugs you will need to replace pritty often. So make sure you, are happy to -If you don't know much already spend time learning to tune properly engine maintenance ect but I assume you know it..

You will enjoy it though, nothing beats the smell and the noise of 8 buggys racing round a track!
None of this 2 dimensional racing

I would say get the Hyper 8.5 BRCA edition-Think it includes starter box ect..
And a decent servo from the start if possible=-Make alot of difference..
The 8.5 will be fine for you, and then if you really start enjoying it, I recommend a better engine like a O.S. V-Spec or something..more power longer runtime-And will be alot more user friendly.. that would be my route..
Any O.S. engine is a winner or Ninja in my vote.. stay away from Go Tech ect.. ideally

Im not being rude, but if your more of a point and shoot driver truggy may be a better route.. as there generally more stable and -some say slightly easier to drive and more forgiving.. something to think about.. Buggy is to me better looking, less stable but generally more popular and more of a challenge which I love about it..
Old 07-01-2010

You'd think I'd have more experience running a shop, but my experience is more touring car based. I'm doing this partially to give me the knowledge I need. My only off-road experience comes from the micros. Got an lrp shark that is pretty quick, that you can even get as a nitro.

Can anyone recommend any books I should be reading on engine maintenance and such.
Old 07-01-2010

Best place is Online buddy-and google *maxbashing* its a great place like this but nitro based. I would also download of the hudy website the Hudy Offroad setup manual too-Tells you everything you need to know if you adjust this here are the + points and the - ones too.. Its free to download and is a great tool to read. But best bet is on line. And asking people to help you down the local track ect.. it wont take long to get the hang of it.. it will be good to stick with the RTR engine too=less £ if you do accidental kill it..and stripping a engine ect watch some of these-some usefull stuff for people new to nitro-

http://www.youtube.com/user/Squirrelod
Has 100's of vids that will be useful-stripping a engine too tuning to, changing clutch shoes ect..-Worth watching a few each night

But, best advice is online +the guy above..and other forums and sometimes youtube vids can be useful. Let us know how you get on
Old 07-01-2010

Default vids

thanks for that, will download the vids and put them on the shop window pc too. might be an idea to stick them on a cd or dvd too, anyone want a copy when I do it just let me know.
Old 07-01-2010

No problem yea there only 5-10 mins long but I find myself watching some as they are usefull for the average jo..Keep me updated
Old 07-01-2010

think i'm going to get the black, got everything i need for now even the pipe, although not sure if it's the right type. not going to get it till the weather warms up a little more though. I can't do anything with my fingers while it's this cold lol.