Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 17-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default FIAT Punto 1.9 JTD

Just wanted to know peoples opinions of the jtd engine. I've heard good things about it but is there anything to look out for. She's after one with 60000 miles on the clock.
She will clock up 650 a week to and from work so realibility is a must.
Old 17-08-2011

not a bad engine.
make sure the cambelt is changed and i would recommend the water pump replaced at the same time.(72k or five years)
the egr valves are quite prone for clogging up and putting the engine light on too, this is usually down to people using cheap engine oil
Old 17-08-2011

And nursing them about, give it the beans once a week it will be fine.
Old 17-08-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Ive never owned a fiat but a good friend of mine has a fiat punto (53 plate) 1.2 from new its done 40k and he plays connect 4 on the dashboard most days with warning lights. Some days power steering will work other days it wont and some days it will just drink petrol for no reason. His dad is a mechanic with lots of years of experiance and they have just given up with fixing it. Personally ide never buy a fiat.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 17-08-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

This engine is the 1.9cdti (150bhp) 16v vauxhall, 1.9cdti (120bhp) 8v vauxhall,
1.9TiD Saab, 1.9JTD alfa, blah blah the list is endless almost!
I've got the 150bhp in my 2006 astra.

Common faults: EGR valves clog (but at 650miles a week it won't)
Swirl flaps (which control the variable valve timing) are prone to coming loose (they're just like turnbuckles!) Vaux say a new head is required at £800 + fitting but I say they can usually be fixed.
Dual mass flywheel's go. Doesn't seem to matter if it's abused or not.
Gearboxes. Assuming it's the same as the M32 6 speed in he astra they are weak (also fitted to the VXR but he excess torque in the diesel kills them! Different box fitted into the vectra and are much stronger)
Late model astra, vectra and insignia's all report problems with regenerating DPF when used for low mileage runs (no surprise there!)
All the above are primarily 16v faults. 8v are less prone to them. Generally the higher state of tune the more faults.

Personally I love mine! Massive power over a good spread of RPM and can easily achieve 60+mpg in the right conditions.
Old 17-08-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to daz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
This engine is the 1.9cdti (150bhp) 16v vauxhall, 1.9cdti (120bhp) 8v vauxhall,
1.9TiD Saab, 1.9JTD alfa, blah blah the list is endless almost!
I've got the 150bhp in my 2006 astra.

Common faults: EGR valves clog (but at 650miles a week it won't)
Swirl flaps (which control the variable valve timing) are prone to coming loose (they're just like turnbuckles!) Vaux say a new head is required at £800 + fitting but I say they can usually be fixed.
Dual mass flywheel's go. Doesn't seem to matter if it's abused or not.
Gearboxes. Assuming it's the same as the M32 6 speed in he astra they are weak (also fitted to the VXR but he excess torque in the diesel kills them! Different box fitted into the vectra and are much stronger)
Late model astra, vectra and insignia's all report problems with regenerating DPF when used for low mileage runs (no surprise there!)
All the above are primarily 16v faults. 8v are less prone to them. Generally the higher state of tune the more faults.

Personally I love mine! Massive power over a good spread of RPM and can easily achieve 60+mpg in the right conditions.
They sound like a very reliable engine then
Old 17-08-2011
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
They sound like a very reliable engine then
Hit and miss, me old gay weasel!
Northy had nothing but bother with his vectra, but mines not missed a beat in over a year
Old 17-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Hit and miss, me old gay weasel!
Northy had nothing but bother with his vectra, but mines not missed a beat in over a year
You have just cursed it now pal.
Old 17-08-2011
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
You have just cursed it now pal.
Doesn't matter. Bits are for free
Old 17-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Doesn't matter. Bits are for free
Have you a old Massey Ferguson in your garden for spares
Old 17-08-2011

I had a Corsa1.3 cdti and the EGR valve choked up. Dealer wanted £300 plus VAT, I got the part and got a local garage to do it for £170 cash.

The Corsa was doing high miles too so it wasn't all town driving.

A friend at work had Astra 1.9, 150bhp version and the EGR valve went good style, white smoke trail down the main road the lot. It spent more time in the garage than the work car park.

The EGR issue can't be left if the light comes on even if it seems of OS running fine because it means you are pumping red hot exhaust gases through the turbo when they should be re-circulated with cooled exhausted gases from the EGR first. This if left causes higher engine head temperatures which could lead to premature head gasket failure. The other issue would be turbo failure due to the oil in bearings being burnt so it won't lubricate the floating bearings.

It's not just GM engines that have failures, Ford and VW have had issues. Due to the technology involved now to meet emissions reliability has took a knock it's the luck of the draw now. You may get a good one or not, full service history is a must and look out for engine repairs under warranty lots will mean you may end up digging deep in the future.
Old 17-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I drive a Multipla 1.9 Jtd 8v owned it 7yrs and the engine is brilliant, a little tappety but thats normal..

i have had a few aux belt tensioners (3 genuine ones, the last 1 i got free as the 2nd one was faulty) + one air pressure sensor..

If its the 8valve jtd then its plain sailing providing you change the cambelt and waterpump every 40k. and regular oil changes ..
cambelt book states "check at 36k and replace at 72k" but i have seen and heard too many go, mostly due to seized water pumps (on 16v engines).

16valve engines need the same cambelt - water pump changes every 40k but can also suffer from fuelling problems but these problems i have found to be mostly when fitted in vauxhall vectras & zafiras etc..

hope this helps

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 17-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Whats the cost of a cambelt and water pump change.
She's also looking at other diesels honda civic 1.7, mitsubushi colt 1.5 and the focus 1.6 I would prefer her to get the A2 as it could net her 70+mpg on her motorway run to work and pay for itself in three years as her little 1.3 petrol colt only gets 42mpg but reliable as hell. Thing is she wont listen to old man dad.
Old 18-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit View Post
Whats the cost of a cambelt and water pump change.
All in fitted, Cambelt kit (inc pulleys) + waterpump & antifreeze £230
(price based on a 2003 8v jtd)

you can get the belt minus the pulleys which will make a lot cheaper but i always change the lot.

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 18-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

£230 is not too bad a hit for her, but that would be every almost every 14 months at her weekly milage which does not include her personal use. Still worth considering though I still favour the A2.