Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 13-09-2013

Default Removing paint

Hi chaps, just after a little advice if possible. I've managed to get hold of a TC shell that has long been discontinued, it's not cut but is painted. My only gripe is the colour used is not the right shade. Just wondering if any of you knew (if possible) how to remove the paint without damaging the shell, then possibly re-paint??? Not sure on the type of paint used either, aerosol/waterbased etc.

The paint would have to be completly removed in order for the new paint to show through correctly, but I'm unsure if its possible as i don't want to bugger it up.

Any advice greatly received

Cheers
Old 13-09-2013

Just seen this on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=085nJyj4TBM

DOT4 brake fluid works apparently.
Old 16-09-2013

Cheers chaps, will give it go!!!
Old 16-09-2013
Mad Member

Yep, brake fluid will strip the paint off. I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone though as it is very much hit and miss whether it will damage the body as well and I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for destroying a body. Some polycarbonates with some brake fluids work fine, other combinations will seriously damage the body. The problem I've always had is that the bodies I'm cleaning up are vintage, so wouldn't trust brake fluid on something that can cost a three figure sum to replace.

Tamiya body cleaner, Carson Paint Killer, Delta Activator and Eliminator, and 30%+ nitro fuel have all been known to be pretty safe on bodies. De Solv It Graffiti Remover is supposed to be polycarbonate safe, but I've never tried it. I have tried brake fluid though on a new bodyshell to fix a mistake when painting, the body cracked and split where I had treated it at the first meeting, which is why I won't use it.
Old 16-09-2013

if you have a wife or misses if you careful enough to get hold of her nail polish remover it has worked on some of paints i have done

Cougar sv & HB cyclone
Old 16-09-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-alex-2 View Post
if you have a wife or misses if you careful enough to get hold of her nail polish remover it has worked on some of paints i have done
Just make sure you find the right one, the wrong nail varnish remover will turn your body into a plastic puddle.
Old 17-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Just make sure you find the right one, the wrong nail varnish remover will turn your body into a plastic puddle.
For sure! Acetone (which is often the main component of Nail Polish Remove) will destroy most polycarbonate shells. I've had most success on water based paint using 30% nitro, assuming the paint wasn't nitro blocked, or for small clean ups I like to use body prep wipes - Halfords work pretty well. They're like baby wipes, but impregnated with paint pre-prep.