Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 13-09-2010

Default Buggys or Touring for Beginner Racing?

Hey Guys

I am new to R/C cars. Had a few when I was a kid but nothing really decent. At the young age of 29 =D I have decided to give it ago. i dont really have any experience building kits or anything like that.

I would like to get into racing of somesort whether it be indoor touring cars or buggys outdoors or even both later on.

My question is what is best to start out on? and how easy are the kits to make?

I was thinking of Indoor at mo since winter is coming lol.

Any suggestion on what to buy for starting out? dont want to break the bank incase i damage my first model. I saw on Donny Racing site tehy all run Xrays but these seem quite expensive for a newbie.

Ty for any advice you guys can give a newbie =D
Old 13-09-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

where are you based? im guessing doncaster?

i would say off road is cheaper and you will learn more about car control

the rtr b4.1 is ideal as an off road buggy, your problem is if your in doncaster is there is no loacl off road club, the nearest track being blyth the nearest club would be york/batley

if you want some costs contact Micheal at mbmodels in leeds (google rccarshop)
Old 13-09-2010

Touring car is probably a bit easier to drive, but can be more expensive.

I would visit all the clubs that are within sensible travelling distance and pick the club you feel the most comfortable with.

I think you will learn alot more if you dont have a stupidly fast car when starting out, you will also break the car less.

If your thinking of going for touring car then you could pick up a second hand car pretty cheaply. Although it often feels like you need the latest kit you dont really. Im racing a 8 year old car onroad and its perfectly competitive (at my ability level)
A good quality servo is the most important thing IMO.

Offroad a B4.1 RTR is great value and will be competitive.
Old 13-09-2010

Hi guys thansk for advice.

I am actually in the Leeds Area but Doncaster not to far away and it was only indoor place i could find online so far.

I was trying to find secondhand stuff on ebay bit was a nightmare because there are so many diffrent types.

Anyone know if the HPI sprint 2 is ne good for a starter car?
Old 13-09-2010

Just to add what others have put, see what's in your area. You will break things on the car, and while that might be obvious with off-road cars that are jumping all over the place, you can just as easily break things with on-road cars, so don't let that put you off either.
Old 13-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest501 View Post
Hi guys thansk for advice.

I am actually in the Leeds Area but Doncaster not to far away and it was only indoor place i could find online so far.

I was trying to find secondhand stuff on ebay bit was a nightmare because there are so many diffrent types.

Anyone know if the HPI sprint 2 is ne good for a starter car?
I wouldn't bother with ebay for second hand stuff.

Better to buy from the oople classifieds, at least that way you should get a honest advert.

If your buying a car you want something that other people in the club are racing, or at least have raced in the past. The sprint2 could be raced, but its not a good car to start with.

Whats your budget?
Old 13-09-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

if your in leeds then your not far from batley and york off road club.
have a look here for clubs www.brca.org
Old 13-09-2010

You also have nitro to think about as there is a few good track round you now wakey and deerdale and a few more

Bf

Associated rc8 x3
Mardave
Cat sx
Now a Xray m18t
Old 13-09-2010

Nitro might be good for a beginner, then you don't get bored waiting for cells to charge, but if you do, get something simple, or use some simple fuel. You can get RTR pre-mixed fuel. I know that's the way I'd go if I was taking up nitro.
Old 13-09-2010
Mad Member

I think Batley's on this sunday weather permitting pop down have alook see what you think and York runs on a saturday night racing starts about half 6 ish

Like the other guys have said b4 is a good car and popular

Paul

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 13-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Airbrushing View Post
I wouldn't bother with ebay for second hand stuff.

Better to buy from the oople classifieds, at least that way you should get a honest advert.

If your buying a car you want something that other people in the club are racing, or at least have raced in the past. The sprint2 could be raced, but its not a good car to start with.

Whats your budget?
I was thinking of spending between 200 - 400. Dont want to go crazy at first incase i dont get into it or I struggle to build something. The idea was to try get something to start off with then once i get going buy a kit to attempt to build myself. Having never really built anything like this not sure if I have the aptitude for it lol, hope I do as seems like a fun thing to do.
Old 13-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
I think Batley's on this sunday weather permitting pop down have alook see what you think and York runs on a saturday night racing starts about half 6 ish

Like the other guys have said b4 is a good car and popular

Paul
I take it thhese are for buggys? I will have a look at teh B4 car. I think buggys might be alot of fun with jumps and stuff i just think i might end up destroying it lol in the jumps or something .

A silly question but will having 4wd/2wd make much diffrence?
Old 13-09-2010

I race both and wouldn't exactly say one is better than/easier than the other. Buggies however can be run anywhere even if just messing about trying things out or bashing, where as with scales, you need a nice smooth surface.

If i were beginning right from scratch, then personally i'd choose a buggy. Specifically a b4.1

As for differences between 2wd and 4wd yes, but if your learning, stick to 2wd as it'll give you greater car control. Master 2wd and 4wd will come very easily to you

Xray, Zen

Maclan, Surpass, SRT, Futaba

MUST GO FASTER!!
Old 13-09-2010

Quote:
I take it thhese are for buggys? I will have a look at teh B4 car. I think buggys might be alot of fun with jumps and stuff i just think i might end up destroying it lol in the jumps or something .

A silly question but will having 4wd/2wd make much diffrence?
Not particularly. 2WD is more popular at most clubs and a bit cheaper.

These cars are quite strong and although you will break things parts are fairly inexpensive.

For £400 you can get a very nice setup for 2WD.
The previously mentioned B4.1 RTR kit + a good charger, a couple of lipo batteries, tools, tires and spares should come in well under £400.

If you have some aptitude for building things then building and maintaining a B4 is pretty simple. As its a very popular car there will always be somebody at the club to help you out if you get stuck.
Old 13-09-2010

Lots of food for thought, Just cant decide what to race now. With winter approaching maybe I should do touring for winter and get a buggy built for summer =D

Maybe I will get a B4 tho seems nice price
Old 13-09-2010

Quote:
Lots of food for thought, Just cant decide what to race now. With winter approaching maybe I should do touring for winter and get a buggy built for summer =D

Maybe I will get a B4 tho seems nice price
Lots of off road clubs go indoors and race touring cars during the winter.
Although other classes might be raced indoors like Mardave, 12th scale and others.

Like I said in my first post, take a look at the local clubs and see what they are racing.

Dont buy anything on impulse as its easy to buy something inappropriate that cant be raced locally. Although you might be able to buy something second hand at the club, dont buy anything straight away ask here about prices. Often new members buy a second hand car that is overpriced, or a shed.. sometimes both
Old 13-09-2010

cant go far wrong getting an older secondhand xray as a tourer. i have a t1 fk05 which i run at club, it gets quite a hammering on times and hasnt broken anything other than a belt. quite a few t2's kicking around at good prices. for a buggy go for the b4.1, spec is too good to miss really. for a beginner motor and speedo for the tourer you cant beat the ezrun motor/speedo combo's as long as the club you choose doesnt specify what motors you can use anyway, £50 or so for the combo you cant really go wrong.
Old 13-09-2010
Mad Member

Get a buggy, touring cars are:

a: crap

b: boring
Old 13-09-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
The idea was to try get something to start off with then once i get going buy a kit to attempt to build myself. Having never really built anything like this not sure if I have the aptitude for it lol, hope I do as seems like a fun thing to do.
The big advantage of building from a kit yourself is that when it breaks you know how it comes to pieces, beentheredonethatetc.

Go for a B4, 2wd easier than 4wd to build and maintain, every other geezer has or had one, web & oOple full of setups & advice, competive first time out (depending on yer thumbs), loads secondhand.
Old 13-09-2010

Guys,

Sorry if this is a daft question but why/what is Brushless and Lipo?
Also, is the schumacher mi4 a good start to build on?