Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Closed Thread

Old 22-06-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to BenG Send a message via MSN to BenG
Default YRD prototype car

Well I finally uploaded the pics, spent a while contemplating whether or not to do it. I need to get the price down though, is looking to be atleast £250 or around $400 complete

i
f you have any tc3/tc4/ b4 parts you wish to donate for free, PM me

The design is based on a BJ4,
with:
- lowered shock towers
- lightened chassis, top deck and motor mount.
-It uses 'jconcepts' diff cases, and AE ball diffs. (I am just querying some blue cvd's, which will be of a custom design.)
-The car uses B4/tc4 shocks (depends which I feel best suit the front suspension.)
- Also included will be pins to fit all the different wheels out there. It will also have a revised steering system, which uses custom moulded blocks and includes some tc4/3 parts and a custom moulded shock rocker mount and shock rocker.

I thank you for all your support. Although, could anyone come up woth a better name. I thought, twister v2 or something, but I need a better name.
Anyone who comes up with a better name, well I will use it for the car Price wise, it will be roughly $350-$400 depends on manufacturing costs. I must note, that the car will be made in batches( not spares) and only say 5 will be avaible at first. Let me make the first car, and I will tell you how its going

Any thoughts on design e.t.c would really help too I can confirm it will be tested on UK tracks, so finally we should get a prupose built UK racer
Old 03-08-2006
Mad Member

What da you think of this car? Let me know
Old 03-08-2006
Mad Member

nice but id cut some extra cell slots so you mess about with weight distribution good luck with dude
Old 03-08-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

have you managed to get a prototype together yet?
Any photos of the real car?

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 03-08-2006
Mad Member

No, its gonna be my winter project, it should be finished for decmember-ish
Old 03-08-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

So basically your putting inboard suspension and and different steering geometry on a BJ4?

I'd stay away from the touring car steering, from my experience with the TC3'O it isn't strong enough
Old 03-08-2006
Mad Member

That, and I have planeed to re-mould most of the plastic parts. Thanks for that tip, I think I will re-design the steering layout, like you say, the TC3'0' isnt exactly he best 4wd buggy ever
Old 03-08-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.tyrc.co.uk
the TC3'0' isnt exactly he best 4wd buggy ever

No but the BJ4 is so why change it
Old 03-08-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockerill
No but the BJ4 is so why change it
Oh really, is that right Tom?

G
Old 03-08-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

Human nature, some of us can't be arsed then some of us think, why not, lol.
Old 03-08-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy
Oh really, is that right Tom?

G
Certainly is
Old 04-08-2006
Mad Member

Why Imprrove this car you ask?
1.Because I am bored
2. I am setting up an RC company,and want to sell it.
3. Because I can

This car is now known as the YRD phantom X
Old 04-08-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

question is.. do you know how to improve the car? and why the changes you will make give the car an advantage..

you also wish to sell the car, so how will parts avaliability be? can i expect upgrades? have you decided on a new shell + wing? i could keep going.. the list is that long. have you planned it all out?
Old 04-08-2006

If you need any help or need ideas bouncing, pm me for my MSN account
Old 04-08-2006
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram
question is.. do you know how to improve the car? and why the changes you will make give the car an advantage..

you also wish to sell the car, so how will parts avaliability be? can i expect upgrades? have you decided on a new shell + wing? i could keep going.. the list is that long. have you planned it all out?
Parts availbability is going to be top notch I assure you, and if the car needs upgrades, they will developed from there. I also have a shell and wing moulder, who is awaiting my design, which I am going to make as soon as I finish the car, so I can make it the snuggest and lowest fit possible. I plan to mould the parts myself, with a special nylon moulding material I have. I am using a carbon fibre copy material, which has the same properties as carbon fibre, but is easier to cut. This makes it ideal for me, until I can find a Carbon Fibre machinist.

I am only going to make 1 car at first, and test it through the winter indorrs, and out if it is warm and dry enough. I should then have a reasonable set-up to start on, for the spring and summer. I can then peice together a manual, and if it is really that good enough, design and order the packaging. I will keep you lot updated as I go.

Long term, I do need a few people who are interested in using this car, for testing purposes. But I do need to get a prototype together first
Old 04-08-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.tyrc.co.uk
2. I am setting up an RC company,and want to sell it.
[/B]
How good are you at marketing? As I really think that you need to think this through long and hard. Asking yourself mainly, how much this will cost to do (tooling, time, admin, advertising etc) and how much you can sell the kit for + how many you think you can sell + how many you will need to sell in what time to cover costs.

Don't forget, you are trying to redesign a car that won the world championships and is really popular in its standard form. So although you are dealing with many potential customers (i.e. guys who already have a BJ4), they are also guys who will beleive that the current design can;t be improved and any non J-Concepts changes will be pointless.

My advice to you. Rather than choose a current winner and redesign it as a winner, choose a car that is a failure, and make it a winner.... such as the Academy SB Sport.... the concept of this chassis is close to the BJ4, but corners have been cut to sell the car at a low price.
Old 04-08-2006
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong
How good are you at marketing? As I really think that you need to think this through long and hard. Asking yourself mainly, how much this will cost to do (tooling, time, admin, advertising etc) and how much you can sell the kit for + how many you think you can sell + how many you will need to sell in what time to cover costs.

Don't forget, you are trying to redesign a car that won the world championships and is really popular in its standard form. So although you are dealing with many potential customers (i.e. guys who already have a BJ4), they are also guys who will beleive that the current design can;t be improved and any non J-Concepts changes will be pointless.

My advice to you. Rather than choose a current winner and redesign it as a winner, choose a car that is a failure, and make it a winner.... such as the Academy SB Sport.... the concept of this chassis is close to the BJ4, but corners have been cut to sell the car at a low price.
Dude, you have come up with a cool idea there, I think there may be a re-design on my hands. I want to sell it, the Phantom x is going to cosr £172 to make. However, its not all about profits, as I want to make a sweet car for racers. I am going to re-design it now, how good are Acedewmy spares?
Old 04-08-2006
Mad Member

HAs anyone got a link to the acedmy RC website, and their Uk distributors
Old 04-08-2006
Mad Member

What Chris has said is on the money, you really need to think long and hard what you are going to do, it can cost a lot of money to produce a car even if some of the work is done in house i know

With the Slim4 i have already invested well into four figures and i am over a year into the project, and i have three cars to show for it.

I think you need to decide what chassis / base car / you are going to start with first
Old 04-08-2006

Let me just say 'you can't turn a turd into GOLD, alchemy don't work'. As much as I understand what Chris says, the issue with the Academy isn't just its chassis. I am not sure if they have improved the quality of platics, but they weren't the best, and the metal parts were worse, and I know thay haven't improved much.

So it might be worth looking at a drivtrain first, and basing a car around it.