Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Old 30-06-2014
Administrator

Default WEB help for oOPLE

I've been banging my brain against a wall trying to find a new server for oople. 1and1 suck the absolute balls. End of.
OVH loook great but won't offer any support configuring the server to how I like it and how I need it to get my vBulletin across and start working on the oopleV2

Anyone know a gods-load of knowledge about server - and I'm not talking out of school basic knowledge. I've been doing this over 24 years and made my first commercial website 19 years ago.
HOWEVER - I'm creative minded not technical. My brain just aint wired that way.
If you know your shit and want to help set up an OVH dedicated server for me then let me know!

However - any offers of help WONT be ignored. I don't want to share hosting with anyones server since i don't want to be responsible for F'ing it up. VPS or Cloud might work.

Help! My usual go-to man for this sorta thing is too busy now so I'm a bit screwed.
Old 30-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Have you bought and signed up for a dedicated OVH server already?
One of these: http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/ ?

Infrastructure is what I do. How do you want it configured? I take it its a bare metal OS install you want?
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 30-06-2014
Administrator

I'm just on a 7 day trial to look at some stuff.

I am on 1and1 MANAGED server right now. Not that they help me with all the stuff I have to do of course.

So - yet to invest in a OVH server - I can buy canadian prices - thats official - so might make it a bit cheaper.

You've looking at a 1gb ram server right now. So. we need to get a move on.

I need mysql for vbulletin - I need to be easily add domains for comedy purposes; I need to ssh in to back up vbulletin but a cron job to do it daily would be much preferable.

If you're up for helping mate I can give yo a call and we can discuss further if you like?

Thanks for replying tho.
Jimmy
Old 30-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I'm just on a 7 day trial to look at some stuff.

I am on 1and1 MANAGED server right now. Not that they help me with all the stuff I have to do of course.

So - yet to invest in a OVH server - I can buy canadian prices - thats official - so might make it a bit cheaper.

You've looking at a 1gb ram server right now. So. we need to get a move on.

I need mysql for vbulletin - I need to be easily add domains for comedy purposes; I need to ssh in to back up vbulletin but a cron job to do it daily would be much preferable.

If you're up for helping mate I can give yo a call and we can discuss further if you like?

Thanks for replying tho.
Jimmy
Just busy at work right now... can call later.

what OS were you thinking?
http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/distributions/

Centos is my choice for my clients, however their requirements may be different to yours. You can build a stable hosting platform on centos, or ubuntu but OVH may offer a better scripted install of their suggested OS? say OVH OS or one of the plesk builds, for example? also they may give a better support level on their own OS?

Can I have a play with the control panel to build OS and manage the server? I take it you haven't switch it on to play yet?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 30-06-2014
Administrator

It's on, I've no idea what I'm doing - you can swap and change OS at all.

Is Cpanel worth it?
Old 30-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

cpanel is fine for being able to add/create/bin new domain/site hosting easily. it can be weak in some setups/cponfig options, however vBulletin should run fine under it, as it does already. also we have fll ssh into the server, so that could bypass any problems with just having cpanel alone.
I guess cpanel will give you a nice front end that you will have used before.

want to pm me some login details and i'll take a look when i can today.
Old 30-06-2014
Administrator

WIll do - I ordered the 7 day trial - and as I say I've no bloody idea what is goin on!
Old 01-07-2014
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
and as I say I've no bloody idea what is goin on!
Seriously? I think that you two are making stuff up to make you seem more cleverer.
Can I join? Do I just pick a word and add a random letter infront of it, like cpanel? Or do I just start with 3 random letters, like OVH?
Old 01-07-2014
Mad Member

Thanks, Col. I thought I was the only one who was watching a conversation from the planet Zarg! One thing's for sure, there's more chance hell will freeze over than I would be of any use to Jimmy on this one!
Old 01-07-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Thanks, Col. I thought I was the only one who was watching a conversation from the planet Zarg! One thing's for sure, there's more chance hell will freeze over than I would be of any use to Jimmy on this one!
Noooo somin u know f all about !! Lol

Same boat here, on and off switch does me.....
Old 02-07-2014

If you are not hosting for any other customers, why would you need CPanel? Why pay for something (you'll need a licence!) if you only use some of the features (which you don't need to have). You can do some vhost config via SSH (thus over CLI), that's not a real problem and very easy to do. Run each site per user and you are ready to go.

I see that you are running Apache (and a deprecated PHP version) now. Go for Nginx + PHP(5)-FPM and you are all set. I would recommend to go for a setup like that. Nginx consumes less memory and performs better (http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/apache_vs_nginx) than Apache.

If you want to rent a more powerful machine, go for ESXi and then you can split up services. Like building a dedicated MySQL, Web and mail server. But probably that's a bit too expensive.

I would recommend Debian (or even Ubuntu). Why? Easy to maintain. But CentOS is also very solid but I'm just Debian minded

If you need help I'm here, setting up servers is easy and something I do on a regular basis.
Old 02-07-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Noooo somin u know f all about !! Lol
The sum total of what I don't know would be enough to stop a herd of stampeding buffalo dead in its tracks! Sorry, Jimmy... got me coat on...
Old 05-07-2014

quick question, do SSD's make the page requests quicker?

I am trying to convince IT to upgrade our workstations to SSD for 5000+ cad assemblies.

You can usually hear the hard drive spinning away when the assembly is loading.

Regards

Sammy
Old 05-07-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokes View Post
quick question, do SSD's make the page requests quicker?

I am trying to convince IT to upgrade our workstations to SSD for 5000+ cad assemblies.

You can usually hear the hard drive spinning away when the assembly is loading.

Regards

Sammy
By page requests, i assume you mean shifting data in and out of the pagefile, rather than loading web pages?

yes an SSD will speed up any operation where the OS is reading or writing the disk. if you are paging to disk its because what you are trying to can not be done in RAM alone. does your cad programme have its own page file, or just use the windows one? either way SSD will help for sure. Also put maximum amount of RAM in the machine and make sure you are runing 64bit OS and CAD programme. also check the manufacturer's recommendation for disk, ram and page file performance options. use the windows performance monitoring tool perfmon to graph disk, page file and ram operations to gather evidence to support your request for hardware update.
Old 05-07-2014

Sequential read doesn't matter that much in servers. It's access times that make the difference. If your server is configured in a good way, stuff get's served from the memory anyway.

In a workstation: depends. It's all about access times.
Old 05-07-2014

still trying to get the IT team to upgrade the workstations to 32 gb from 16 gb and fit SSD's. You can end up waiting 20 mins for the machine to load the model or drawing.
Old 08-07-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
Seriously? I think that you two are making stuff up to make you seem more cleverer.
Can I join? Do I just pick a word and add a random letter infront of it, like cpanel? Or do I just start with 3 random letters, like OVH?
Genius

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk