Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 29-06-2013

Default Helicopter outrunner motors

Hi, just tried an outrunner motor in my shark, it's great!! I was running a 2040 4200kv inrunner which was good but kept melting the can and falling to pieces, the outrunner is 28x27 3800kv for a 450 class helicopter, it was a bit slower with the same gearing but loads of torque with a bigger pinion its monster quick was just wondering if anyone else has tried an outrunner and if they last any longer?
Old 01-07-2013

Yes ihave been using a 3200kv keda outrunner of similar dimentions to the one you mention, you may need a smaller one! Mine has been fine at club and in testing but was just too much when i triedit at swansea national. Worked out after the meeting that i was getting 300 watts out of it, waaaay too much for a little car. Quick as a touring car with a 9 turn motor at club. You need to gear it as you think for an inrunner then add another two or three teeth to the pinion for good measure as the torque they give is immense. Also using a heli outrunner just slightly smaller than a standard 540 can in an electric 1/8, not as quick as some i have seen, but quicker than a nitro 1/8 and more than enough for me!
Old 02-07-2013

Going to try it tomorrow at my local club with the smaller pinion! at £10 delivered I can't think why more people don't run them ? Outrunners all the way for me from now