Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > Mid West

Old 28-04-2012

Just checked the forecast on the met office website and it says 80% chance of rain all day Sunday with strong winds of upto 45-50mph

Ok you are all saying the track drains well and the feature that is a prob in the rain has been avoided...
but standing on the rostrum racing in strong wind and rain isn't much fun

Also for those of us in the east of the mid-west region an hour to hour and half drive away won't be much fun getting there in the driving rain

Surely these conditions call for the meeting to be postponed to the reserve date of the 12th of August
after all isn't this what the reserve date is for?

Slinga
Old 28-04-2012

Totally agree Slinga...

I raced last years regional at Ledbury and it was wet then... wasn't so bad tho as the rain was only very fine misty on/off rain and the track grip stayed pretty good.

Even then, they had a drivers briefing between qualifying and finals to discuss whether they were to run the finals or not due to the weather.

Well the weather tomorrow is looking to be far far worse than it was last year so surely the correct decision is to cancel the meeting for tomorrow and reschedule for the reserve date.

At least that way everybody will have an enjoyable days racing when the weather is a lot better in August - it makes sense!!!
Old 28-04-2012

Send a message via MSN to Pownabown

I can't see the need for cancelling a meeting when we haven't had any rain for the last three days. We were predicted heavy rain all week here but we haven't had any thus far.

Unless Im told otherwise all is going ahead
Old 28-04-2012
oOple Advertiser

You can't cancel a meeting because the weather forecast is wet!!!!! If you did that in this country we'd never race.

The organisers have made a decision, they say the track and surrounding area will hold up so I suggest those that don't want to get out of bed in the morning or wish to go somewhere else do just that and leave the others that want to take a risk on the great British weather to make their way to sunny Ledbury and see how it goes, no one is forcing anyone to race.

And I have a two hour journey by the way
Old 28-04-2012

I don't mind racing in the "wet" or drizzle... just not wind and rain like is forecast

Wonder what the reserve date is for?

Good luck to all that risk it
Old 28-04-2012

I'm likely not to bother. Driving rain, 4 degC with 45 mph gusts. I don't mind a bit of rain, or a bit of cold, or a bit of wind. But not all at the same time.
Old 28-04-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinga View Post
I don't mind racing in the "wet" or drizzle... just not wind and rain like is forecast

Wonder what the reserve date is for?

Good luck to all that risk it
The reserve date is for meetings that are cancelled, a meeting can't be cancelled because of something that 'might' happen. If the weather turns out to be bad and it's cancelled then the reserve date will be used

Local weather forecast here says wet and windy all day, it's now 2.40 and there's been barely enough rain to get the grass wet so far and no wind. They get it wrong all the time so hopefully tomorrow is no exception. If they are right and it's bad then I'll see you all on the reserve date
Old 28-04-2012
Mad Member

Well i have cancelled, 1 1/2-2 hour drive, 1 to 2 inch's of rain and gale force winds is not my idea of fun.

If you want to see whats heading are way have a look at the link below and what is over france is coming our way.

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/radar/europe.html

Btw Alec the met office has issued a amber weather warning for the west midlands, they don't do that for a bit of rain

To the guys racing tomorrow have a fun time and be safe.
Old 28-04-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
Well i have cancelled, 1 1/2-2 hour drive, 1 to 2 inch's of rain and gale force winds is not my idea of fun.

If you want to see whats heading are way have a look at the link below and what is over france is coming our way.

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/radar/europe.html

Btw Alec the met office has issued a amber weather warning for the west midlands, they don't do that for a bit of rain

To the guys racing tomorrow have a fun time and be safe.
As I said, you can't cancel a meeting BEFORE it happens or we would never leave the house. The post above from Nathan says the local weather has been ok and that tomorrow's is ok too, I'll take a gamble and make the trip unless the organisers say otherwise before I leave in the morning. I'm guessing that if there is a problem then a post on here EARLY in the morning would prevent anyone from making an unnecessary trip
Old 28-04-2012
Mad Member

No problem alec everyone has the choice to go or not, my loss if its bright and sunny and you have a great days racing. But just in case wrap up warm as it will feel like 2deg C with the wind chill and bring your wellingtons. I am trust the met office on this one for a change.
Old 28-04-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
No problem alec everyone has the choice to go or not, my loss if its bright and sunny and you have a great days racing. But just in case wrap up warm as it will feel like 2deg C with the wind chill and bring your wellingtons. I am trust the met office on this one for a change.
Fishing clothing all ready and waiting ......... And waders
Old 28-04-2012

I'm not too woried about racing in the rain, but I am concerned about getting back out of the field when it's time to leave. 60+ cars are going to make a mess nomatter how carefully they're driven in.....

Ludlow Radio Car Club

LRCC Youtube Vid.
Old 28-04-2012

I wont be attending... the met office forecasts have been spot on all week where I am in Leicester so I'm trusting them on tomorrow too.

I too share the concerns regarding the cars entering and leaving the grounds... last year was tricky enough and the weather was nowhere near as bad as predicted tomorrow.

Regarding the cancellation of a meeting... you cannot make that decision in the morning as there are a lot of people like me that would need to be leaving at around 5.30am in the morning - therefore in situations like this the decision should be officially made the night before!. I think its unfair of the organisers to expect many people to drive 2 hours to get there just to be told when we get there that the meetings off, and then having to drive 2 hours back home again!
Old 28-04-2012

If anyone is planning to turn up and vote to cancel after 2 rounds, please don't bother coming, I want to get a full day of racing in.
Old 28-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker 2 View Post
I wont be attending... the met office forecasts have been spot on all week where I am in Leicester so I'm trusting them on tomorrow too.

I too share the concerns regarding the cars entering and leaving the grounds... last year was tricky enough and the weather was nowhere near as bad as predicted tomorrow.

Regarding the cancellation of a meeting... you cannot make that decision in the morning as there are a lot of people like me that would need to be leaving at around 5.30am in the morning - therefore in situations like this the decision should be officially made the night before!. I think its unfair of the organisers to expect many people to drive 2 hours to get there just to be told when we get there that the meetings off, and then having to drive 2 hours back home again!
Attendance is not mandatory - but if you're not coming, at least have the decency to cancel so we're not hassled in the morning.

It is fine saying "you should cancel the night before..." it isn't that easy. I have 78 people still entered for tomorrow, the fact they are entered shows me they have a willingness to compete. I am in talks with the guys who run the club, they are experienced people and know their track and surrounding area better than any of us. I have to trust their thoughts.

At the moment, they are not giving me any reason to believe cancellation is necessary, a forecast is a forecast, it is not gospel. If we do feel that safety becomes an issue, we will make the necessary call, until then, make your own choice and don't criticise anyone else trying to do the right thing for the good of the series and its competitors.
Old 28-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoiwebb View Post
If anyone is planning to turn up and vote to cancel after 2 rounds, please don't bother coming, I want to get a full day of racing in.
Damn right. It's going to be cold, wet and windy tomorrow. Anyone who turns up and wants to cancel because it's cold, wet and windy should be thrown onto the field and used to soak up the water. The rest of us can get on with some racing
Old 28-04-2012

Default regionals

I agree,i dont want to drive for 2 hours and race for 10 mins for it to be called off,i would rather know now or later tonight.After the drive we face i would want a full days racing at least.
Old 28-04-2012

If anyone has any spare Clodbusters lying around can they bring them just incase we need to be towed out the field
Old 28-04-2012

Harlow has already admitted to me that he wants to do 2 rounds and vote to go home, he's a cissy!
Old 28-04-2012

Webb has already admitted to me that he doesn't want people to go so he can make the B.