Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 19-01-2015

Default How to shorten servo wire, help wanted.

As the title says, I need help shortening my servo wire, and ESC to receiver wires.

Is there a tool for crimping new connectors onto the wires? Any links for these and spare connectors.

I'm sure this will help more than just me , thanks in advance.
Old 19-01-2015
No trade access

TBH I don't like to crimp and build my own servo connectors, the homemade connector is not sturdy as premonition ones (and I use crimp connectors at work so kind of use to build/crimp them).

I just unscrew the back of the ESC or servo, take a picture, unsolder the connector, shorthen is enough but not too tight (you have to remove insulation to solder) and resolver the three cables.

Just took your time and plan a bit ahead, finish will be good and for me easier to do then rewire a new connector.
Old 19-01-2015

I've done this before with a ratchet crimping tool from work (cost around £150) and new blades and connector housing from most model shops or ebay. You can get cheaper tools but i'm not sure how good they are.
I've also done it by opening up the servo and de-soldering and re-soldering the wire directly onto the circuit board and can tell you its way easier to change the connector.
One word of warning though if its a savox servo, they will not honour any warranty regardless of what the problem is if the wire has been shortened.
Tony
Old 19-01-2015

leave the servo case closed!! buy some plugs and a crimp tool, theyre only cheap and if you are worried about them pulling off then do what i do and use a fine tipped 12W soldering iron and add a small amount of solder to the crimped area
Old 19-01-2015
Mad Member

As Dodgy says - leave that case closed! It is really easy to damage the circuit board if you overheat it and there is no way to practice it if you feel nervous about doing it. Then there's the issue with warranty, etc.

This is what you need. It's not easy without a little practice, but a few tries on some old gash pieces of wire and you soon get the hang of it.

http://www.modelaccessories.co.uk/st...et-futaba.html

And some spares to practice on...

http://www.modelaccessories.co.uk/st...45-pieces.html

With the plug and wire positioned correctly the tool makes sure you get a good crimp. I've done quite a few servos, speedos and extension leads and never had a correct crimp come loose or off. I've made a few mistakes along the way though and had to redo a crimp. When the crimp doesn't grab the wire simple throw the plug away and do it again!

With this kit you can shorten, make extensions, repair damage and generally become a crimping God! HTH
Old 19-01-2015

Legendary effort guys, most helpful I hope others get use out of it too !