Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 04-05-2015

Default Kyohso Javelin/Optima resurrection

O.k. So I've just got back into R.C. after a break (kids+life got in the way...) and brought 3 new Schumachers K1 K2F and K2R. If you are in this part of the forum you have probably already stopped reading and run screaming, but for those still with me let me continue.
Apparently the New Zealand RC community (well the electric offroad side...) has gone Vintage nuts. We even had a Vintage National champs a few weeks ago... Anyway, I've been friends with Fathead on the forums here for a while now and he seems to have some sort of horrid VRC infection and it's catching.
I am a part time hoarder, and a while ago (talking 8-10 years maybe) inherited some boxes of old RC junk from a friend who knew I raced and thought I would be interested. Never really looked that much into what was in those boxes. I sort of knew there was a bunch of old Kyosho stuff in there so the other day I decided to investigate.
So. after an hour or so of sorting I came up with pretty much 2 or 3 cars worth of old Optima series in parts and this:

Righto then.

Now I have Vintage RC infection... I forgot how much I loved the old Optima, and Javelin cars, they just look so freakin cool and is how offroad racers should look. Not this BS cab forward body rubbish that has taken over.

So I guess I'll start on the journey of turning this into a viable racer, with as many original components as possible, but updating some bits for reliability and performance where necessary.

Feel free to tune in, tune out, tune your favorite mandolin and sing along, whatever you like!

Maskellator.
Old 04-05-2015

You're dooooooomed!
Old 04-05-2015

It's all down hill from here maskie lol
Old 04-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
You're dooooooomed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro RC View Post
It's all down hill from here maskie lol

The only cure is to immediately start giving away all your vintage RC stuff to people that post in this thread, and never look back.

But I agree, these older designs are much cooler than Cab Forward stuff.

@Retro: did you get my PM?
Old 04-05-2015

Yes I do believe I am already in trouble.

I've done a bit of a stocktake on what's there.
plenty of arms, gearbox cases, and alloy bits in varying degrees of straightness.

Driveline is my main area of concern. There are a couple of drive chains, and plenty of diff housings, but i'm not sure on the longevity of the units and how they will stand up to even a 17.5 spec motor...

There appears to be what I thought would be a viable belt drive assembly, but the belt has a twist that might not come out so the tracking might be a problem. I might be able to find a belt, but then as I looked further the drive gear is different to the diff halves for the chain drive, and the teeth look a bit average...
Also I have 3 of the intermediate alloy 'pinions' that run on the layshaft, and they are all a little on the chewed up side.
Now I realize that it is a near 30 year old car of unknown usage, but something tells me that the drivetrain is going to need a bit of work.
Old 04-05-2015

I quite possibly will be able to cnc you up a diff pulley to fit so you can use modern belts which are available almost any tooth count needed.
Old 04-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
I quite possibly will be able to cnc you up a diff pulley to fit so you can use modern belts which are available almost any tooth count needed.
Yeah, I'm looking at the tiny 2 spider gear diffs and the sketchy intermediate gears and thinking a complete new driveline setup might be in order.
It would probably be easy enough to modernize the drivetrain, using ball diffs, belt drive and figure out a new spur/layshaft/idler setup that is sustainable.
Old 04-05-2015

Damn those belt drive conversions were worth more than gold when they came out i bought 1 for the salute I had and it cost almost as much as the whole kit did to start with

Looks like you've got a nice pot of gold there maskie could probably sell some of those parts out to pay for your new addiction lol

Optima fan pm sent
Old 04-05-2015

Looks awesome!!!! Can't wait to see this progress....
Old 05-05-2015

Some people claim the belt conversion kit is not needed, as the belt only has true tension on the bottom "return lane" and not on the upper "lane". Though I wonder if that also applies to braking, and reverse. I would prefer the extra idler roller to be there, but it doesn't appear to be a very sturdy setup, compared to cars that were developed as belt drive from the beginning, like the Mid.
Old 05-05-2015

Lots of Optima love here

Yes I have a belt setup without a idler roller on my Optima mild runner. No problems so far.

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 05-05-2015
Mad Member

I too spent some time trying to find an idler gear to go for a belt conversion but after not finding one I simply went with the 2 ball diffs (parts 107 and 108 I think?) and a standard belt.
My Optima has been fine without the "official" conversion or even the post fitted idler conversion.
If you find my thread on here about my optima rebuild there are some really helpful posts from other optima drivers to help with either doing the conversion or sourcing the parts.
I ran initially with a 17.5T motor but have used a 13.5t for the past 6 months with no ill effects

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 05-05-2015

Just for info: the special belt W0105-1 is not needed for the belt conversion! Belt OT-89 is a 100% alternative!

1/10 Kyosho Lazer ZX
1/10 Kyosho Optima Mid Custom

Last edited by oli4ke; 05-05-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-05-2015

Hey all, thanks for the input. I will do a bit of digging around and see whether the drivetrain is saveable or if I look at changing it out for more modern components where I can.
The big headache for me at the moment is the diff drive pinion setup. All of the ones I have are pretty ugly and I wouldn't be too happy to run them long term. They also seem to be horrifically expensive to replace... The diff gear for the belt drive is also quite worn, so I'll have to see whether replacements for that are too pricey as well.
I also only have 1 spur/idler drive gear, and while it is in good condition, if I'm going through the effort of getting this thing raceable, I want to know it will last and if it breaks/wears out I can find replacement parts that don't require a mortgage extension...
Old 06-05-2015

Has anyone run the stock chain drive setup for any length of time, or is it just more of a headache that it's worth? Realistically I will only really look at running a 17.5 brushless (yeah I know, modern stuff...) in it, so mild by todays standards, but probably fairly potent compared to what was around 30 years ago...
Old 07-05-2015
Mad Member

I ran mine briefly with the chain and also discovered that the Kyosho Rocky 4wd chain is the same type, but slightly shorter so if you need a new chain search for those as they are more readily available. I bought 3 and made 2 good chains with enough spare links from the 3rd to do another 2-3 if needed.

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 10-05-2015

Thanks Ashlandchris, yeah I might try running it with the chain and see what happens. I need to find a new belt for it anyway so I will give it a go as it was originally made...
Old 10-05-2015

In other news, I have decided that this one will be a runner to race in vintage meetings, I will use the silver chassis parts and polish them up. the gold ones can be for a shelfer if I ever get that far. They are not in brilliant condition but we'll see. I have enough parts to make 2 cars pretty much.

So I took some grubby bits:

And turned them into not so grubby, with a bit of elbow grease and Brasso...

I'm gonna get Fathead to make the shock towers and radio plate from carbon, so it should look sweet against the polished alloy.

I'm kinda stuck now until I either find some 3mm threaded rod or some long ass screws to go through the rear trans cases into the motor plate. I seem to only have 1 of them and that one is buggered...
Old 10-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskellator View Post
In other news, I have decided that this one will be a runner to race in vintage meetings, I will use the silver chassis parts and polish them up. the gold ones can be for a shelfer if I ever get that far. They are not in brilliant condition but we'll see. I have enough parts to make 2 cars pretty much.

So I took some grubby bits:

And turned them into not so grubby, with a bit of elbow grease and Brasso...

I'm gonna get Fathead to make the shock towers and radio plate from carbon, so it should look sweet against the polished alloy.

I'm kinda stuck now until I either find some 3mm threaded rod or some long ass screws to go through the rear trans cases into the motor plate. I seem to only have 1 of them and that one is buggered...
Looking good mate how long do you need screw wise I've got some long m3 screws from my X-ray days that may work.
I see john sold his ultima did you get it by any chance
Old 10-05-2015

Pretty sure I saw some M3 rod laying around the other day