Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 27-09-2011

Default DB01 - stick with it or go for something new?

I'm going through another mini purchasing crisis again

I've been considering getting a 4wd for the indoor season, and I've been weighing up the various options, like the 511, b44.1, dex410 v3, etc etc. then I remembered that I've still got the durga sitting on a shelf in the garage.

it does need a bit of work; some of the screw heads have rounded off, there's an issue with the belt tensioning system (the rear diff is dragging and I'm having trouble getting it to sit nicely with the cover screwed down) and more dremmelling is required to get the lipo packs to sit lower.

is anyone still running the durga, and doing well with one?

the impression I got when racing it was that the drivetrain is a bit fragile. I've got the 501 outdrives, associated shocks & alloy hinge pin retainers etc.

should I try and get it going again or just be done with it & buy a 'better' car?

Old 27-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I never had any problems with the fragile drivetrain, I thought the only problems you had were with the 3 racing cheese driveshafts?

DCM still has his fleet of DB01s and it was running fine this season outdoors, I'd stick with it for now
Old 27-09-2011
Mad Member

The Durga is a very capable car in many ways, but seems to suffer in the reliability department.

If your prepared to put the time, effort and money in, the Durga can do it, but id be more inclined to go with something newer and better.

The 511 is my current ride, and i wouldnt consider changing it for anything at the moment. Ive had a B44, Yokomo Mr4bx, B-max e.t.c, but the 511 is still by far the best IMHO.
Old 27-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Jamie, Craig's already got most of the upgrades the DB01 needs and as essentially it's the same drivetrain as the 511, I don't see that he would need to spend much other than some time.
Old 27-09-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

The only issue I have with mine, is old age with regard to suspension parts, the drivetrain is as 'robust' as anything out there to be honest, as long as you got the 501 outdrives on. I think what you got to look at, do you want to spend a few bucks on the DB-01 and get it working, or a whole new car/spares etc.

I dunno what your issue with the belt tensioning is, I have never had a problem.....
Old 27-09-2011
Mad Member

Its certainly worth a go, as i said the durga is a capable car, and if it has all the right bits fitted then give it a go.

If you did decide to change to a 511 at least a lot of the spares are interchangeable between the 2 cars.
Old 27-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I dunno what your issue with the belt tensioning is, I have never had a problem.....
I may bring it round so you can take a look at it. when re-assembling the rear end, and putting in the eccentric tensioners, everything is nice and free until I tighten up the rear diff cover. I'm wondering if there's some sort of chassis tweakage getting in the way.

I'll have another look later. I need to renew all the screws too - more cheap aftermarket cheese-hex crap.
Old 27-09-2011

You might have the bearing holders in wrong way mate!
Old 27-09-2011

I´d personally go for a 511, this car is by far the best i have ever driven in the last years. I was in the same situation wehn someone wanted my DB01R that had some Hop Ups, i still made a bit loss but having the 511 now makes me forget that
The DB01 is a good Chassis but if you would have the chance to race it side by side with the 511 you would know what i am talking about.
Old 28-09-2011

I agree with DCM. Your oval diff bearing holders might be in the wrong way. They should be in with the diff sitting at its lowest point. Check them out.

The DB01 is a very reliable car once you have all the upgrades in.
Old 07-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
You might have the bearing holders in wrong way mate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
I agree with DCM. Your oval diff bearing holders might be in the wrong way. They should be in with the diff sitting at its lowest point. Check them out.
I should change my name to 'knob jockey' - the diff holders were indeed the wrong way round; the arrow was pointing upwards.

I really haven't given this car a fair crack of the whip. so I'm going to have a fettle and take it out for another race meeting
Old 07-10-2011

Good man!