Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 11-10-2008

Default Who's ordered a b max4

Quick question

Whos ordered the b-max 4 champ version. Only problem no lipo version seems to be a over look by yokomo. Or will there be an upgrade for it.
Old 11-10-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Got one at home waiting to be built, pretty sure trakpower 3200 Lipo will go in!?
Old 11-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Got one at home waiting to be built, pretty sure trakpower 3200 Lipo will go in!?

I'm gonna get mine when I know a 3200 fits could you let us know
Old 11-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf View Post

I have one on order also have five packs of trakpower 3200's hope they fit.

I Wonder if Diggity Designs will make a conversion. for the larger lipo cells like the do for the b44
Old 11-10-2008
Mad Member

Now called me an old fashioned grinch but I just don't understand this obsession with putting LiPo saddles in cars.

Yokomo built the car around the weight distribution with NiMHs. The car won the Euros and the other meetings it has won with NiMHs. The slots are the exact size of NiMHs.

Yet all people want to do is hack the car about to put a LiPo in!

OK, so they are easier to use - but they completely mess up the weight distribution. I've seen a few rear-saddle cars running LiPos and half of them handle like utter dogs compared to the NiMH cars. Even if you are very clever with your ballast, you will still struggle to match the weight distribution the Yokomo engineers spent months deciding on.

It astonishes me that a couple of years ago people were getting worked up about how the Yokomo BX cells were moved a few mm compared to another car, yet people are now removing 150-200gms from the rear of the car without a thought!

And why are you ordering FIVE Lipos? From what I understand one pack, two at most is enough for a whole race meeting, because you can top them up right after use and get similar performance, unlike NiMHs which need cooling time, so unless you are running five different cars each day, five packs seems like a massive waste of money.

If you want a LiPo car, get the CAT. It is the only car on the market that has been designed for it - but even I don't know whether the weight distribution is the same as the NiMH version (I think it is a lot closer than any rear saddle car would be though).

Grumble over.
Old 11-10-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Now called me an old fashioned grinch but I just don't understand this obsession with putting LiPo saddles in cars.

Yokomo built the car around the weight distribution with NiMHs. The car won the Euros and the other meetings it has won with NiMHs. The slots are the exact size of NiMHs.

Yet all people want to do is hack the car about to put a LiPo in!

OK, so they are easier to use - but they completely mess up the weight distribution. I've seen a few rear-saddle cars running LiPos and half of them handle like utter dogs compared to the NiMH cars. Even if you are very clever with your ballast, you will still struggle to match the weight distribution the Yokomo engineers spent months deciding on.

It astonishes me that a couple of years ago people were getting worked up about how the Yokomo BX cells were moved a few mm compared to another car, yet people are now removing 150-200gms from the rear of the car without a thought!

And why are you ordering FIVE Lipos? From what I understand one pack, two at most is enough for a whole race meeting, because you can top them up right after use and get similar performance, unlike NiMHs which need cooling time, so unless you are running five different cars each day, five packs seems like a massive waste of money.

If you want a LiPo car, get the CAT. It is the only car on the market that has been designed for it - but even I don't know whether the weight distribution is the same as the NiMH version (I think it is a lot closer than any rear saddle car would be though).

Grumble over.
Chill out fella! All you do is add the weight back to the cells with lead underneath and your back in the ballpark! I am mystified by needing 5 packs!!
Old 11-10-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Iv got one coming from CML, will build it and see what it goes like compared to my 501, if it goes well it will stay if not then it will be for sale!

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 11-10-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

i was just gona say why would you need 5 packs, when everyone using them is saying fit one and forget about it, just top it up,
hell i even heard someone glue one pack in, lol Q the pm,
Old 11-10-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
...hell i even heard someone glue one pack in, lol Q the pm,
Gosh, that must be a bloody big lipo charging sack he has then .

Seriously, the weight thing is getting to be a ball-ache. My Durga handles like crap with a 3200 lipo in it as its half the weight of a pack of nimh cells. If lipo is "the future" (like garlic bread), why can't manufacturers get on board eh?
Old 11-10-2008

Are they available to buy now?
Old 11-10-2008

Quote:
Are they available to buy now?
Yes see here... http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000003600

Old 11-10-2008
oOple Advertiser

No, they are due in soon, not yet here
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 11-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolio View Post
Gosh, that must be a bloody big lipo charging sack he has then .

If lipo is "the future" (like garlic bread), why can't manufacturers get on board eh?
lipo sacks are for girls,
Old 12-10-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Got mine mainly built tonight (except suspension), and 3200 saddles definitely fit, won't need any lipo locators or anything either as the car comes with foam pads that work to hold it in place. I have used BX battery posts and carbon straps and they fit fine.

Only thing to be careful of is this, as per other cars I can see height being an issue on the bodyshell where the connectors stick out of the battery, I think it'll need horizontally soldered wires to the bullet connectors, the cells only fit in with the connectors to the outside so vertical soldered wires will foul the shell I am guessing!

Dave
Old 12-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Got mine mainly built tonight (except suspension), and 3200 saddles definitely fit, won't need any lipo locators or anything either as the car comes with foam pads that work to hold it in place. I have used BX battery posts and carbon straps and they fit fine.

Only thing to be careful of is this, as per other cars I can see height being an issue on the bodyshell where the connectors stick out of the battery, I think it'll need horizontally soldered wires to the bullet connectors, the cells only fit in with the connectors to the outside so vertical soldered wires will foul the shell I am guessing!

Dave
That's good news. Do you think the bigger trakpower saddles would fit as well. I run the larger cells in my b44 with the Diggity Designs conversion
Old 12-10-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1 View Post
That's good news. Do you think the bigger trakpower saddles would fit as well. I run the larger cells in my b44 with the Diggity Designs conversion
Wouldn't be able to tell without having a pack to hand sorry, if your at Worksop feel free to try it there?

Can't see them going in though, may fit under the topdeck or to the side of it, but I think there'd be no way of wiring it up under the bodyshell!
Old 12-10-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
lipo sacks are for girls,
I know you're saying that tongue-in-cheek but seriously, at Worksop lipo sacks are The Law.
Old 12-10-2008

if you use lipo that's just fine, and rules are rules, just like the no mac e dees.
Old 12-10-2008
Lee-Mag

Like this one?

OOP_1995.jpg

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 12-10-2008
Mad Member

Wicked