Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 21-01-2012

Default Unamed Dirt Venue: New Video of cars driving **page 5**

First drive around the unfinished track

Latest video of Track Layout 20/04/22012, Click Here

Right so following on from my other thread, here is the build thread i will be updating in stages. The track will be a permament dirt track.

First of all, the unit itself:

Today we started on clearing the van's out of the unit and giving it a good sweep. We then decided on a layout and rostum postion etc etc and started building.

When we left this afternoon after working on it we had some of the main straight built up, the back fence built and started marking out and cutting wood for the inner markings.

We have designed the track to be 2meters wide all the way around.

There will also be multi layout sections so we can change the track every month or so with ease.

I plan to have it usable (although small) for 1/10th and 1/16th cars.
Old 21-01-2012

Interesting. And whereabouts roughly will this venue be?
Old 21-01-2012

The venue is 5mins from Heathrow Airport
Old 21-01-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karting View Post
Old 21-01-2012
Mad Member

Default great

another decent track(hopefully) not to far away!!!!

when you planning on running?

Quote:
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 21-01-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Just read the other thread and whilst I applaud your idea, 150m sq is very small buddy for a perm place. Our indoor is the smallest you can get away with ad it's 12m x 22m racing area, which is 270 ish.
Old 21-01-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
Just read the other thread and whilst I applaud your idea, 150m sq is very small buddy for a perm place. Our indoor is the smallest you can get away with ad it's 12m x 22m racing area, which is 270 ish.
To be fair Neil the track area I showed you on wednesday that we use is only 10m x 18m (180 sq m) we somtimes get 12m x 18m in but thats it. PDA in Bicester was not that much bigger than this to be honest, so it is more than do-able, albeit a bit on the small side (especially if only 2m wide)
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 21-01-2012
Mad Member

I really wish you all well with this new venture,here is a vid i took of the PDA in all its glory . It gives you a good view of the scale of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgRwcoTI-2c

Any new venue on DIRT is a plus whatever the size
i,m sure Teddy Truman and PTRU on here can give you some sound advice on building it.

GOOD LUCK
Old 21-01-2012
SHRCCC Legend

So are the USA indoor dirt venues smaller
Old 21-01-2012
oOple Advertiser

Neil, you would be surprised just how small some of the US indoor dirt tracks really are, not all mind you but more than you would think, they are not these huge dirt filled warehouses that people think...
Old 21-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARTMAN View Post
another decent track(hopefully) not to far away!!!!

when you planning on running?
ATM i have no idea when i plan to run it i will have to have a look at other local clubs so i dont clash meetings. However initionally i will proberly start with just running practise session until i can afford a timing loop (any idea on price and where i can get from?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Boyle View Post
To be fair Neil the track area I showed you on wednesday that we use is only 10m x 18m (180 sq m) we somtimes get 12m x 18m in but thats it. PDA in Bicester was not that much bigger than this to be honest, so it is more than do-able, albeit a bit on the small side (especially if only 2m wide)
Thanks if all goes to plan i should be able to get a semi decent size track together without it being to compact, lets call it careful planning and measuring ALOT :/ I can however in the future take over the next door unit aswell and knock through the stud wall and then ill have 250sqm of track which would be plenty big enough, but that would depend on if i can make enough to cover the price of rent for two units in heathrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgio View Post
I really wish you all well with this new venture,here is a vid i took of the PDA in all its glory . It gives you a good view of the scale of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgRwcoTI-2c

Any new venue on DIRT is a plus whatever the size
i,m sure Teddy Truman and PTRU on here can give you some sound advice on building it.

GOOD LUCK
Thanks, ive read alot on PDA to try and get information and i have been in contact with Mr Trueman and he has been giving me some valuable information.

We shall be down there from 8am till 1pm tomorrow morning to make some more progress before i watch the spurs win and the gonners lose
Old 22-01-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
....until i can afford a timing loop (any idea on price and where i can get from?)

We shall be down there from 8am till 1pm tomorrow morning to make some more progress before i watch the spurs win and the gonners lose
Rob Nelson at BBK Racing for all the timing equipment, but be warned it is NOT cheap.

As for the comment in bold, well there goes all my respect for you in foul swoop!!! LOL (Seriuosly though, if you need any help from this end, we are only in Watford, then give us a shout - even if you do support the other half of North London ;-) sadly)
Old 22-01-2012

Down at the unit nice an early today to finish off the top section of the track
Old 22-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Best of luck with this, look forward to coming to have a play!

Dig out the rear motor 2wds!

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 22-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Boyle View Post
Rob Nelson at BBK Racing for all the timing equipment, but be warned it is NOT cheap.

As for the comment in bold, well there goes all my respect for you in foul swoop!!! LOL (Seriuosly though, if you need any help from this end, we are only in Watford, then give us a shout - even if you do support the other half of North London ;-) sadly)
I have a fully working amb 20 system including transponders that you could use to start with. Then as your plans progress you can trade it in for the newer system. I think you get £700 odd off with the trade in. I'm asking £500 for my system.

Watching with interest as I can finally use the losi mini 8's kit tyres on this!
Old 22-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Headling View Post
Best of luck with this, look forward to coming to have a play!

Dig out the rear motor 2wds!
I'll actually have to buy a 1/10th so i can test the track (currently only run a 1/16th), a cheap and cheerful car will do, cheaper the better and if from a company ill plaster banners and stickers around

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingben View Post
I have a fully working amb 20 system including transponders that you could use to start with. Then as your plans progress you can trade it in for the newer system. I think you get £700 odd off with the trade in. I'm asking £500 for my system.

Watching with interest as I can finally use the losi mini 8's kit tyres on this!
Thank's well atm i cant afford to buy that off you even at £500 but i will bare you in mind for the near future.

Pictures from todays work:

As i got there nice and early

First intersection area in for different layouts

and finally as we left all the intersections and the top part of the track completed

The top section of the track is now complete and i cant start on the other part until the rest of the unit is clear.

Any comments, tips and tricks?
Old 22-01-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

i will admit i have never built a track but i think its odd you have marked out the track in the way you have for dirt?
to me i would have got the dirt in sculptures it into features and then made the track as in the link above and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgRwcoTI-2c
Old 22-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
i will admit i have never built a track but i think its odd you have marked out the track in the way you have for dirt?
to me i would have got the dirt in sculptures it into features and then made the track as in the link above and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgRwcoTI-2c
Tbh the reason i have marked out the lower part of the track like i have is because i dont plan to fill the warehouse wall to wall full of dirt in the style of PDA.

When it does come to building the jumps i will be raising the sides at the part which the track is at to support the mud. Dont worry i have a game plan
Old 22-01-2012

When you say "mud" I hope you mean "clay" ....
Old 23-01-2012

A few years ago I found a unit in stevenage to open a unit i had a few issues that stopped me moving it forward.

The business rate on the unit was light industrial not leisure rate the local council had issues with me using the venue for this as they did not want children on the business park they also got the valuation office involved to work out the new business rate.
They suggested that I took a unit on the leisure park but the rent and rates were too expensive.
I would advise that if the main use of the venue is model car racing you check this out first there are ways round this, if one part of the venue is used or highed out for one off events you can get away with it.
I believe this is why dirt arena closed!
There is a myth going round that model car tracks don’t pay rates as they are no profit making this is not true I found out the hard way and are club got a back dated bill of over £6K
Please get everything in place first speak to the landlord about what you’re doing and council get it in writing as well.
This is different than running a club at a hall/sports ground where you hire room/land off them they will be paying the rate on the land/building.
Good luck

Last edited by jimbot; 23-01-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling