Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 03-01-2007

I Know its just like any other X-5 But this one is mine

Old 03-01-2007

Finaly pictures of the posh pig Trev, hope your happy with the new car!! Wish I was racing with you guys this weekend so that I could see how the buggy goes compared to my new one, just have to wait for another meeting soon.

Have fun
Old 04-01-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Looks great!

Nortech is ACE!
Old 04-01-2007

Talking

She went great today on her first test run to loosen the diffs check the slipper ect all adjusted ready for the weekend only 4 slight problems

1 . Running the rear links in a bottom hole the ends rub on the Diff outdrive savers ....

2 . The front savers (not in the pic) are brand new and dont allow the front suspention to have free movement as they are trapping the end of the dog-bone Should i sand the inside of the diff outdrive a fraction to stop this or will it wear free in a couple of practice laps Sunday ????

3 . To stop the belt skipping on power it feels a bit tight to me is there a good rule of thumb i know with my Touring Cars if you can twist the belt 1 turn its good if you know what i mean

4 . She is Currently sitting in the Garage smelling of Disinfectant as i hit the biggest PILE OF DOG MESS in the world at full speed ( Not Good )

But all in all i love her
Old 04-01-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hey, the new X-5 is looking really good!!

1... I have never heard of that before, mine have about 2mm clearance. Is the diff sitting as low as it should?

2... Sand the end of the dogbone slightly. You may also have to file the wishbone as I found these touch when suspension fully compressed.

3... the belt should be tight enough, so when you push the layshaft over the corner of the chassis with the belt around it, it shouldn;t need a lot of force, but be slight resistance.

4... YUCK!! try to avoid the poo next time!
Old 05-01-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

I haven’t got my car in front of my but,

1) I’ve never had this problem, or even close I don’t think. Having said that the magic setup only ever uses the outside hole, which is quite far out. Looking at this picture http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewx5/rears.jpg you should be able to use the furest out, or next one in and have no problems, even with savers on.

2) I did have this (but on the rear), I preferred to let them wear into each other for the best fit if you know what I mean. I always ensure the first run on any car is at a non competitive event where you can have a proper ‘shake down’. Diffs, slipper, tranny settings, basic handling and setup etc can all be sorted in a handful of runs. Then the next time you use it it’s all sorted and you can have confidence to thrash it.

3)The tension is not as easy to adjust as say the xxx4, where you had the long arm of the tensioner to get accurate settings. Chris’ method is very good. In a pinch I have another method. Slacken both tensioner screws, and slide the tensioner to the max tension you can hold with just the force of the driver in the screw head, then do it up. This will be somewhere near.

To get this more accurate, you need to mark the exact position of one of the screws on the chassis, then take the tension off the belt (diff or slipper assy out), back one screw off and the other slightly so you can just move it fractions each time. Once you’ve found the belt tension after a few runs (belts do stretch a fraction), you can leave it like that for ages cos anything else you need to work on, doesn’t involve taking the tensioner out

HTH

Nortech is ACE!
Old 06-01-2007

Hopfuly problems resolved cheers Guys

I could not use the outside hole for the rear camber link as the Rod was to long that was supplyed in the kit this is why i have moved it in one hole , If i move it up a hole it would not touch but i tryed to keep it as close to the kit setup as i could It only just touches you can't see it with the naked eye but there is a shiny line appeared on the outdrive saver .......

Giving her her first run tomorow on Carpet as it looks like it will be to wet at my local club so it will be new for the car and new for me having never raced a buggy on carpet , Last time i raced on Carpet was a Losi xxx-s Touring car 5 years ago when they first came out ...........

Ill report back as to how my new dream Buggy goes i know i will be up against a new Tam 501 so it will be interesting as to who comes out on top as the Tam driver is a local driver on the carpet ..............
Old 07-01-2007

Talking

Well first Shake down day completed at a local track i have never been to where they race on Carpet a serface i have never ran a Buggy on befor and its been 6 years since i raced a TC on carpet also here is how it went blow for blow

Heat 1 practice Buggy felt good kept going for the full 5 mins but smoking when i came off Motor Fried Arm and Comm ( 19 Turn Probably geared wrong Small track 12 sec laps geared at 8.2 ish ) Damage done Just the motor thank god

Heat 2 Quali one ,Installed a 12 Double Mod motor wow she was great i was running Second doing a very good time then about 4 mins into the Heat BANG The motor through a wind 3/4 way down the straight flat out ( Looked Good ) Damage done Motor Finished and so much heat produced it melted the chassie next to the motor

Heat 3 Quali Two Ran the old XX4 Brushless ( No good just did not feel the same as the X5 )

Heat 4 Final Quali Installed an old 19 turn motor geared about 9ish and hey presto Qualifyed 2dn in the A Final Great Felt good

Two finals followed where overall i came 2nd and 3rd being beaten by an Academy SB V2 & a XX4 the Academy winning Both Finals.....

But the Real Story of the day was the battle between the X5 and the new Tamiya 501x & i have to say the X5 won hands down Yes the 501 is a good looking car and the best lap times of the 2 cars were the same the X5 was more consistat even with the 501 being driven by a local track expert...........

Conclusion from the day the X-5 great car but also is the Tamiya and who can forget the Academy which won both finals But he is a better driver than me and he also had new tyres which gave him great grip levels where as my old mini pins were hard and had seen better days

Can't wait for the next race meet to come by which time i will have installed the 106 tooth spur gear to give me a better gear ratio chioce ( Packed everything bar the kitchen sink today but for got the spur gears )
Old 07-01-2007

ok then Big T, Ill give you that one, the X5 did look good going round and yes the laptimes were the same to within .5sec of each other. I am not sold on the X5 though as it does look odd, but as you said one mans odd is another mans cool!!

However having run 3 cars today, 501X, loverly car, but need firming up on the suspension side and some mini pins and a bigger gear to make it better suited to the surface.

Predator, very fast, looked good going round but had a tendancy to loose corners every race, doh!!!!

B4 with burshless, I dont think that I have grinned that much in ages, and the fastest lap of all by 2 secs.

Now I cant wait till the next meeting of the posh pig and 501X, maybe on dirt next time with some brushless power????