Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 18-02-2015

Default Orca TX Help

Hi All,

I am having a problem with my orca tx motor thats in my MI5evo.

I brought the car second hand and I am running 13.5 blinky with a HW Xerun v2.1 120a. Ive got a FDR of 5.02 (106spur - 38pinion) and timing on the standard 10 degrees on the can and the motor is still coming off track at 65-70 degrees c after a five minute run. I've checked for any binding or drag in the chassis and all seems ok. starting to wonder if the motor is just no good. Is there anything else that could cause these high temperatures? my cheap turnigy motor and hobbywing xerun motor never got anywhere near as hot as this motor with the same FDR so I'm slightly confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Liam
Old 18-02-2015

Hi,

First thing is, do you have a fan on your motor?

I run the Orca TX motor in 13.5 boosted, with a 87 spur 21 pinion (48dp) and mine has never come off higher than 50 degrees, this is because i have a fan on it.

Have you checked the bearings in the motor? It may just need simply rewinding
Old 18-02-2015

Hi,

At the moment I do not fun a fan on the motor but I do plan on doing this for the next outing. I thought this motor would be quite cool running so I was surprised at the temperatures with my FDR.

can 64dp cause higher temperatures?

I have just pulled the motor apart and all bearings seem in good condition and spin freely. how would i go about getting the copper winding if i was to rewind the motor? is this something i can do myself?

Thank you for your help.

Liam
Old 18-02-2015

Hi,

At the moment I do not fun a fan on the motor but I do plan on doing this for the next outing. I thought this motor would be quite cool running so I was surprised at the temperatures with my FDR.

can 64dp cause higher temperatures?

I have just pulled the motor apart and all bearings seem in good condition and spin freely. how would i go about getting the copper winding if i was to rewind the motor? is this something i can do myself?

Thank you for your help.

Liam
Old 18-02-2015

Running 64dp shouldn't make a difference, i would personally get someone who knows how to rewind motors to do it, you wont need to replace the copper wiring in the motor, i don't think, just get it rewound.

How old is the motor?

Defo get a fan for it, you will prob find that the fan will make the motor run cooler, i currently run a 40x40mm Zeppin fan which is mounted on the motor, the air flow is directly on the motor, basically no wires in the way. Running one of these should help.

If in doubt just gear the car down so it doesnt run so hot.

Are you running indoors? I race on a medium size track, and people i race against run 13.5 blinky with a FDR of 6 for indoors and 4 for outdoors, so maybe changing the gearing may work a little better for you, it sounds to me that you may be well over geared for running 13.5 blinky indoors.

HTH!
Old 18-02-2015

The motor is apparently only 6 outings old and never run hot but i cannot confirm this.

ill try a fan the next time i take it out and take my turnigy motor with me too so i can swap them over to see the difference in heat and speed etc. i though my FDR was okay i asked around my club and they all run between 4.2 and 4.9 so i thought i was being safe with 5.02. I've always run around 4.9-5 at the same track and never had temperature issues until i used this motor.

We run indoors on a fairly short track, main straight approximately 16-18 metres so it can be quite tight and hard on motors.

Thank you for all your help, i will try what you have suggested and see if i can get the motor competitive without overheating it, if not ill go back to using turnigy motors.

Cheers,

Liam
Old 03-03-2015
No trade access

I run a TX 8.5 and 6.5 offroad and find out I got to run a higher FDR that I use to run with previous Orca motors, try to lower your FDR and push the boost a little more