Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 22-02-2015

Default Discharging

I have two completely different chargers, both have a discharge rate of 2A. But when I try to discharge a 4200mah lipo one will only discharge at max 1.3A and the other at 0.7A. Any particular reason why?
Old 22-02-2015

What size are the batteries? Would think that there is a maximum discharge rate for a given battery size but as chargers are automatic "intelligent" they will discharge at a rate deemed safe.
There are chargers that put a dead short on a cell to discharge at 20a but why risk detonation (exaggeration I know but you don't do it with your mobile or lap top and they never seem to fail)
Old 22-02-2015

The big question is why. Why do you need to discharge a lipo?
Old 22-02-2015
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big paul View Post
That was my first thought. But then it occurred to me that they may need discharging to get to storage voltage
Old 22-02-2015

I always "storage charge" my Lipos after use....it is ,after all, the recommended procedure..!
I set my charger to discharge at 1.5 amps, but , as said above, the chargers are "intelligent" and vary the rate as needed. Same as when charging.... The discharge rate might start at 1.5 but quickly drops and decreases as the storage point approaches..... Works for me..!
Old 22-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big paul View Post
I only discharge to storage voltage when I haven't raced for some reason or had a car failure early on in a race. If I've completed a 5 min race I just leave them.
Old 23-02-2015

The charger cant calculate the battery capacity just by connecting it up, no matter how intelligent it is.

Most charger use the discharge resistors that are connected to the balance lead to discharge a battery. The same resistors are used when balance charging. It works by charging through the main battery connector, and then discharging any cell which has a higher voltage at the same time.

The reason you probably have a lower discharge current than the max is because the charger discharges the cells in a balanced way, So if one cell has a higher internal resistance, it will be discharged at a lower current than the other, so you will never hit the max discharge limit.

Hope that makes sense.

Tom
TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR 22 5.0 AC Elite,

Kindly Supported by Trackside Spares, TLR, Spektrum and Horizon Hobby
Old 23-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fly View Post
The charger cant calculate the battery capacity just by connecting it up, no matter how intelligent it is.

Most charger use the discharge resistors that are connected to the balance lead to discharge a battery. The same resistors are used when balance charging. It works by charging through the main battery connector, and then discharging any cell which has a higher voltage at the same time.

The reason you probably have a lower discharge current than the max is because the charger discharges the cells in a balanced way, So if one cell has a higher internal resistance, it will be discharged at a lower current than the other, so you will never hit the max discharge limit.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks, makes sense