Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 27-08-2007

Talking Zx-5 RTR

I finally got the brand new zx5 readyset I won in ebay. I paid a total of US$291 for it which included shipping from Japan. It was, of course, fully assembled but NO spare parts (no grease, oil, etc.), only a couple of allen keys and the cross wrench, and 2 manuals -- the readyset manual and the kit manual which they called "maintenance manual." The controller was the Kyosho Perfex AM controller. Looked cheap to me but you get what you pay for. I charged up my 3600mah nimh venom battery and took it for a spin on the road outside my house. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac so no worries of cars passing by.

BTW, when it arrived it was raining, so I had to wait until the afternoon to play with the car. I do not have anything to compare it with since the last car I owned was a Falcon 20 years ago. But a couple of things I noticed -- one, the shocks were very soft aside from being plastic. (Need suggestions of good shocks to get for the car) Is it normal for the car to lower after placing the battery? After I placed it there was a half an inch gap between the bottom of the car and the ground. Good thing there were no ramps around or else I would have scratched the bottom. 2nd, the front left swing shaft was bent a bit but I only noticed this after the battery died. No worries here since it can be replaced and it did not really after the performance.

Anyway, when I took it out for a run, it felt slow IMO. My Falcon (after upgrading its motor) felt faster even though the last time I ran it was 20 years ago. I had to get used to the pistol grip since I never really used one before. Steering was a bit of a challenge but I eventually got the hang of it.

Overall, it was fun. I can't complain a lot since I do not have the authority to and I paid $291 for it (brand new) when the kit alone cost $330. The spikes on the tires are half its original length since I was skidding a lot on the road. Now, I have to make my way to the track here to test it and my almost non-existent driving skills . But before I do that, I will install the bumpers I ordered and upgrade the shocks first. I would have to buy something readily available in either Canada or the US.

I am also waiting for a slightly used Dark Impact set I won cheap at ebay($100). Futaba 2PL FM controller, Trinity SpeedGems 17 turn motor, Duratrax ESC, battery and charger were included. I was lucky since no one else bid.

I can use this as a comparison with the zx-5. With lotsa practice between these 2 cars, hopefully by next year I will be race ready!

Suggestions and advice are always welcomed!
Old 27-08-2007
Banned

yes, it is normal for the car to do that. it is called droop. As long as the springs are silver, they should be perfect(that's what jimmy used) that kind of droop is actually good. There have many advances in rc suspension over the last 20 years. I would suggest getting cvd's and a 12 turn or lower motor if you don't mind whether your runtimesw are affected.
Old 27-08-2007
Banned

$100 for shocks!!!! don't EVER pay that much again. You can get ft ae shocks(threaded) brand new for $40 on ebay. and i think that the di front shocks are way too short.
Old 28-08-2007

Red face Er, Watcha talkin' about Willis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerboy View Post
$100 for shocks!!!! don't EVER pay that much again. You can get ft ae shocks(threaded) brand new for $40 on ebay. and i think that the di front shocks are way too short.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant to say that I bought a Dark Impact car, motor, esc, controller, battery and charger from Ebay for $100. In other words a WHOLE used DI package for $100 ($135 with shipping) when the DI buggy kit alone cost $126 brand new in Ebay.

I meant to compare both cars since I haven't driven an RC in 20 years and the only one I owned was a 2WD Falcon (and 2 1/24 tamtech cars).

I would never pay $100 for shocks! I'm too cheap. Thanks for the comments! At first I was lost with the CVD since I didn't know what it meant. But after doing a little research, I know what it is. BTW, do you know of an upgrade for it or do I just buy the Kyosho version of the CVDs? Also, ae shocks are ok with the zx5? I'll check them out.
Old 28-08-2007
Mad Member

Shocks, generaly good quality on the Lazer (no need to change), mabey just a change of oil & spring/piston.

MUST have the ally front brace to stop major breakages.

Look at front shock tower mount & carbon shock tower as well. Search all posts on here, inc http://www.oople.com/rc/index-reviews.html (ZX-5 review & look at Keen Hawk review), setups, tips - you should be good. Do you get the one way options with the RTR ?

BTW - and we know what a Dark Impact is, good strong car from what I've been told.
Old 28-08-2007
Banned

OH! then that's a pretty good deal!
Old 28-08-2007
Banned

i think that kyosho is the only brand that makes them. ae shocks are about 2-5 mm too long for just about every car wich is better than short. You just have to out the spacers on the shock shaft.
Old 21-09-2007

Default Lazer Sand Trap

Hi I am glad to see someone starting a thread about the Lazer RTR - I got mine 3 weeks ago and was so excited to load in a freshly charged battery to run it.

Yes, I am a bit disappointed that it is slow - but what was most disappointing is the huge gaps under the body and next to the pinion and spur gear.

I was concerned about sand or dirt getting in there and was assured that it should not happen.

Less than 1 minute of punting around the off road track, I heard a LOUD grinding sound and true enough, a little sand got lodged into the spur gear. I removed the sand and went one more round but it happened again.

I open the body shell and noted that sand and dirt got into the car.

Does anyone have a solution to this, other than using tape or scraps of Lexan to cover the gaps?

Btw, I have a Dark Impact - it is a hardy and fast car. Lots of fun but like the Lazer, the shocks need to be upgraded - with thick oil.

Thanks
Old 21-09-2007
Mad Member

You need an undertray. A lot of use undertrays and then velcro the body to it (instead of using body clips to attach the body). It pretty much seals the whole thing up and keeps the car pretty much clean inside. Also protects the chassis.
Old 22-09-2007

Any suggestion on where I might get the undertray? I emailed Kyosho USA and they said that it is fine to run without undertray - I wonder where they ran the car?

I think it would be good to voice to Kyosho that an undertray is needed so that they may make one standard.
Old 22-09-2007

Try putting some Gaffa tape on the outside of the chassis to cover the hole if needed.....

HTH's
Old 23-09-2007

Gaffa tape? What about the sides? especially the rear which exposes the spur and pinion? Would you mind posting any pictures?

Thanks.
Old 27-09-2007

dont worry about undertray for a $20 chassis, u pay more for the tray than the chassis.

nothing lasts for ever.
Old 27-09-2007
Mad Member

Undertray here:

http://www.rc-direct.co.uk/team-azar...tc-p-2404.html
Old 26-02-2008

Hallo from Greece!

I have a zx5 rtr and I would like to know what is the fastest motor that the stock esc can tolerate.

The car is great in general and fast as an rtr but not fast enough for club racing.I'd like a bit more power...just a little bit more!

And a second question:How many turns has the stock G20 motor??
Old 26-02-2008

Check #13 post here: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...6863#post76863

Mentions something about 17turn limit.
Old 26-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ok ...probably in reverse order ......... (I've not run an RTR ZX5 but I'll do my best)

Speedo can take down to a 17 turn motor ...... on the correct gearing of course.

The shocks should be fine! Kyosho shocks are just about the best in the business now. Ok the ones on the RTR are plastic bodied and use the original ZX5 cartridges but hey, they are still super smooth and more than up to the job. To get the ride height to your liking you just need the wind the top spring platform down the shocks a bit. Try the car with the rear drive shafts level and the front whishbones just slightly lower than level (ie inside end slightly lower than the outside end).

Get hold of some decent shock oil around 35wt (350 in Kyoshos language) for the front and 30wt (300 for Kyosho brand) and replace what is in the shocks from the factory.

Tht should see the car handling well.

There is no need for an undertray in this car as the body is very closly fitting to the chassis. I've run my car on just about every type of surface including a loamy 1/8th track and not had any problems. If your concerned use Velcro (hook and loop) to hold the body shell on to the chassis (less fiddly than pins too) and that will help seal it.
You need so gaps for airflow otherwise everything in the car will cook and all the electricals will fail quickly.
There is a gap under the spur in the chassis for bits of dirt and debris to exit through so what was described doesn't happen.

There was a ZX5-RTR running at Coventry on Sunday and the guy driving it said he thought it went really well, he won his final to prove the point!!

If you need any help with the car then just post up the questions ... I will do my best to help with the car.
Old 26-02-2008

Yes the rtr is very good.I run it for the first time this sunday at the first round of national champ, with everything stock on it except the shock oils(300f-250r) and did really good.Everyone was impressed with the way it handled around the track.I even won the first qyalifying round while all other cars had really fast brushless motors.

The stock G20 motor how many turns is it?20t or 17t?
Old 26-02-2008
Mad Member

Its a 20 turn single from what i have heard.The esc will handle a 19 turn spec with no problems.
Old 26-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He's the guy I was talking about ... LOL

Did you order rear hubs for the other ZX5? I kept a pack back for you, even took a hub off my spare RB5 when I broke one in R3 in case you needed the packed items!

DC Racing will be ordering tomorrow so if you want any Kyosho stuff PM Doomanic ASAP.....