Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 23-04-2010

Now bought myself a FS conversion and need a setup.
It's carpet/slash ash 50/50.
Lot's of jumps, but not very bumpy.

EDIT: And lipos all day long.
Old 08-05-2010

Okey, lets try once more.

Half a carpet, half a somekinda ash.
LowToMid grip.
Lots of jumps but not very bumpy (in the morning )
Only lipos so light weight.
Old 08-05-2010
Mad Member

Hi,

Im not a team driver but i can tell you.

As per kit but:-
Go up to 400wt shock oil.
Stiffer anti roll bar I use the copper one on rear.
lay the shocks down one hole from the kit.

Oh and try both of the hubs you get in the kit the ones you have spare make the car a little easier to drive but at the expense of turn in.

try That and let us know!!

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 11-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Do you have an e-mail address at all? I'll send you a couple of set-ups to try for the FS, these days I have the car so nice that I barely change a thing track to track or surface to surface!

One thing though, put some weight back in ... at least 60g down the spine between the batteries as that will help calm the car over the bumps and balance a bit on long jumps.
Old 11-05-2010

Sent you a pm.
Thanks dude.
Old 17-05-2010

Hi,
Is somebody know why in a recent french race many ZX5 FS competitors didn't have the rear shocks infront of the rear tower ?
http://www.petitrc.com/_forumphp/sho...t=37234&page=8
thanks.
Old 18-05-2010

Hi, I made that race with a FS.

the best french FS driver (Héligoin) setup the car this way, so most of FS owners (including me ) took that route.

I don't have tried yet the FS with the shocks on the usual side (it was my first race with it) but I used that trick several times on my B44. Having the shocks behind the rear wheels really helps with handling on rough tracks. The rear stays planted on ruts and slippy parts, to the point that the car can become a bit understeery. Try it, it really works.

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 18-05-2010

Thanks for this answer. Perhaps, I saw you because, even if I did not participate, i saw some runs. I'll try this setup when i'll drive in such conditions.
Old 30-08-2010

test
Old 30-08-2010

Just out of interest, has anyone ever *needed* to change the steering servo from stock on the ZX-5 as I bought one the other day and it sometimes struggles to go from full left lock to full right and ends up just going in a straight line?

The only thing I can think thats causing this is that the servo is a bit on the weak side and can't turn that quickly/much?
Old 03-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default ZX5-FS2 setup help on carpet

right guys, I need a starting point for the FS2 on carpet as I am getting more and more lost .... not something I am used to.

I am finding that;

1) as soon as I lift off the power the rear end wants to rotate ... not a little to the point I am going through the middle of most corners on opposite lock.
2) it is killing rear tires like they are going out of fashion.

Now I know there are quite a few of you folks who run this chassis on carpet and I really, really wasn't expecting it to be hugely different to the FS so I am lost as I say.

Anybody else find this or is it something strange in my chassis?

I've tried decreasing anti-squat and toe in, running a little extra camber and running the longest possible camber link (also tried the low height inner ball stud and 3mm under the outer end) ... nothing seems to be taming the rear of the car .... an anti roll bar turns it into a spinning top!
Right now the Scorpion is MUCH quicker around a given lap than the FS2 and the RB5 is also quicker (although not as much so as Scorpion). I think that I have lost something like 1s a lap in the FS2 rear end. Very very confused!

Damping range has been from 3b 30 down to 20 and 3a 35 down to 20. Tried 3x1.3 and 3x1.4 pistons in similar oil ranges too and the big bores! Springs from my usual #68 blue to #60 dark yellow and all in between.

Just to make sure that it wasn't a tweaked chassis I put the original FS rear end back on ... back to it's normal predictable and stable self!!!

Any help appreciated .... at the moment I am considering the most likely cause is that I am just too old to drive such a lively car and it's me not the FS2 at fault but before I get out the walking stick I am hoping somebody can pin point it for me! I know Nick Caro says he is "always on it" with his FS2 but I'm more of a lift and coast driver than a power-brake-power driver ... as I say, maybe that is the problem!
Old 03-01-2011
Mad Member

Roger.. You have an email mate..which may help

As for your issues with the car mate... i know you say the car is fine with FS rear end on... but have you checked your diffs and slipper setting??

If this aint right, it can be as you describe... if you remember i went through all this with mine.

Have you tried the different shims under Law36 and Law37?? Ride height makes a big difference also...

On mine with standard velvets i was 40wt 3b front and either 25wt 3B or 30wt 3A rear..

FS to FS2 to me just makes the rear end rotate much easier and in doing so makes the car much more nimble...

Yesterday at Broxtowe running Big Bores Front 45wt Yellow Spring, inside hole tower, middle wishbone.. Rear 35wt white spring, middle tower,inside wishbone.. ride height 21mm approx all round, long wheelbase, shortest link on the ally 0deg hubs.. inside link on tower, LAW40 chassis stiffner.. The car felt better than ever... effortlessly turning on the tight and twisty track, with out the need of having to use abit of handbrake etc..

As youve not run much 4wd recently, it maybe that you just need more time behind the wheel mate!

Old 03-01-2011
Mad Member

Hey rog, i know exactly what you're saying, I've had this issue with the fs until I made my ally chassis. Was a good 1s per lap slower than with the rb5. Now I've switched to a proper handling 4wd I'm 1s a lap faster than 2wd...
Old 03-01-2011
Mad Member

roger have you tried making some changes to the front of the car,id shorten the rear links again as when you use long links on the rear,the rear rolls way to much and lifts the inside front wheel in corners and it becomes a bit unpredictable.Id try maybe washers under the inside ball stud on the camber link to reduce turn in and maybe 75 rate front springs,this minght suit you and stop whiping the rear end round and get a bit of understeer back for you.also you could try putting your front shocks out at the botton,hope this helps matt
Old 03-01-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
right guys, I need a starting point for the FS2 on carpet as I am getting more and more lost .... not something I am used to.

I am finding that;

1) as soon as I lift off the power the rear end wants to rotate ... not a little to the point I am going through the middle of most corners on opposite lock.
2) it is killing rear tires like they are going out of fashion.

Now I know there are quite a few of you folks who run this chassis on carpet and I really, really wasn't expecting it to be hugely different to the FS so I am lost as I say.

Anybody else find this or is it something strange in my chassis?

I've tried decreasing anti-squat and toe in, running a little extra camber and running the longest possible camber link (also tried the low height inner ball stud and 3mm under the outer end) ... nothing seems to be taming the rear of the car .... an anti roll bar turns it into a spinning top!
Right now the Scorpion is MUCH quicker around a given lap than the FS2 and the RB5 is also quicker (although not as much so as Scorpion). I think that I have lost something like 1s a lap in the FS2 rear end. Very very confused!

Damping range has been from 3b 30 down to 20 and 3a 35 down to 20. Tried 3x1.3 and 3x1.4 pistons in similar oil ranges too and the big bores! Springs from my usual #68 blue to #60 dark yellow and all in between.

Just to make sure that it wasn't a tweaked chassis I put the original FS rear end back on ... back to it's normal predictable and stable self!!!

Any help appreciated .... at the moment I am considering the most likely cause is that I am just too old to drive such a lively car and it's me not the FS2 at fault but before I get out the walking stick I am hoping somebody can pin point it for me! I know Nick Caro says he is "always on it" with his FS2 but I'm more of a lift and coast driver than a power-brake-power driver ... as I say, maybe that is the problem!
im confusaed when is it breaking away into a compleate off power corner hairpin etc or when lifting round sweepers.
Old 03-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers guys for the suggestions but saddly they have all been covered

Nick, you saw the diffs at Broxtowe, they are like silk mate and the slipper is letting go when it needs to. I am running the LAW36 on the chassis and currently having to run just about zero antisquat to be able to drive the thing at all (makes me nervious as to what it would be like if th heavens opened).

Matt, I'd like to run a shorter rear link to get more square up but none of that matters if the car is facing the wrong way .... it is litterally that bad! I am running a #75 front spring on carpet anyway ... always have. Currently 2mm under front inner ball to help calm it and all the other front end settings are subdued too.

It is definitely the rear as even when just coasting through a corner the rear is breaking away ... in fact that is when it is worst. Also the fact it is killing rear tires tells me it's not working them well at all, the fronts are lasting as long as ever.

I am trying to use the roll to generate some grip from the rear, yes that is a big compromise but it is all I had left to try!

I think I am building the answer I need here .... those of you guys who are happy with the car are very happy ... those who aren't are struggling a lot. I REALLY liked the FS, always suited me I though but I think the FS2 might be a step too far for those of us who like a planted car (that said I've just thought about droppign some extra weight under the cells .... cogs are turning).
I'm going to start playing tunes with the rear end combinations to see what I can achieve as and when I get chance, wrong time to be working away for 3 weeks hey
Old 03-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
im confusaed when is it breaking away into a compleate off power corner hairpin etc or when lifting round sweepers.
Everywhere ... it is like somebody has sanded all the spikes off the tires ... which is what the result is from running like that .. lol

Notice it most when coasting through a section of the corner, the more it shrugs of speed the worse it gets.

I've never come across anything like it in 25 years of racing 4wd buggies!
Old 03-01-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

I guess the FS2 is designed more for those low and mid grip tracks, and super smooth clay like they have in Japan and the states, where a little more rotation is required. The friont end just does not have enough traction to 'pull' the car around the corners like we have in this country from high grip carpet, AND pins. The minispikes will slow down reaction and response of the front end on carpet, so should help your situation Rog. Or just stick with the FS!
Old 03-01-2011
Mad Member

roger im running no weight at all and the chassis stiffener i suggested this to nick after trying it and he loves it to,how much weight are you useing maybe to much and youd get the pendulum effect so the rears trying to over take the front?
Old 03-01-2011
Mad Member

Roger i would try putting bit more weight over the rear. I have been suffering from tire wear on the rear loads but the car is flying at the moment though handling wise very happy with the car.

I was running 85g on the rear i have just put 60g in the rear to see the difference hope it wont destroy my setup to much as i have always been pretty close to setup as to Nic most tracks. But i have always been carrying little more weight not just in the car too lol

Kyosho MP9 TKI2
Team Orion CRF US edition & Team Orion CRF Alpha 5port
Kyosho ZX-5 FS2
Kyosho RB5 SP2
LRP SXX TC & Brushless X12
Speed Passion