Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Norfolk Buggy Club

Old 16-12-2014

Default Losi 22 02

So I have taken the plunge and bought a Losi 22 02 and shall be joining you in the new year

Now are there any upgrades I should purchase for the basic kit, I have motor, servo, rx, esc, wheels and tyres etc I'm talking about what are regarded as necessary upgrades.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 16-12-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

for club the 2.0 should be fine straight from the box,connors car is just about Kit, apart from the cab forward shell he now runs, I am going to fit the new TLR bell crank steering rack when it finally arrives at the shop as the standard one we find wears very fast.

But as said for club the car will be fine from the box good choice of car

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 17-12-2014

Thanks, it seemed like the best choice, it may even be ready by the next meet! However I may not be lol, it's been a while and I may need a fair bit of practice!
Old 17-12-2014
Mad Member

A good choice in car. As Dave says the car is good out of the box although I would suggest a pair of green front springs as the kit ones are a little on the soft side for the grass track but are a good choice on the dirt.

Other than that it works pretty great out the box and should prove to be a reliable and competitive car for you to learn your skills with.

Oh and don't forget your tires and inserts.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 17-12-2014

As mentioned, I would first ditch the slider steering rack - not sure what TLR were smoking when they came up with that design. But good news is they offer a bell crank one like every other buggy out there - this should be part of the kit in my mind.

I have never seen a bad looking 22 2.0, they seem to jump really well and parts are really cheap.

Simon
Old 18-12-2014

Thank you everyone, I have tyres and inserts for both grass and dirt, so that's sorted

I have also ordered the front and rear spring sets!

I can't find the bell crank upgrade so that will have to wait until I can find who stocks/sells them.

Build has had to be put on hold because an idler gear was missing from the kit Would have been fine if I was building it rear motor, but I'm building it mid motor, but replacement will be here tomorrow. So getting there
Old 19-12-2014
Mad Member

I've never run the bell crank steering set-up, it's supposed to increase low speed steering, feel a little more progressive and will be less affected if mud and grime get into the parts.
Having said that my 22 2.0 steering rack is now 18 months old and is still in pretty good shape, I haven't had any issues with it binding up either.

I'm not sure many model shops have the bell cranks in stock and the first batch into the UK came with 3.5mm offset ball cups so they don't fit the kit turnbuckles. You can use the car kit setup but may experience binding on the front shocks on full lock.

If you wanted to install bell cranks as part of the build another option would be to consider the Exotek set-up which is more expensive but made of alloy rather than plastic. I'd try DMS Racing if you were after these.

Depending on where you are in the build you may want to consider a more UK biased shock set-up as you have a full spring set. I know the kit also comes with a selection of pistons, but I can't remember which ones.
If you would like some help on shock set-ups all you need do is ask, but let me know what pistons you have available.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

Old 19-12-2014

Thank you

The only thing left todo is build shocks and install Electrics!

The kit only comes with one set of pistons, which are 2x1.6mm holes.
Old 19-12-2014

I had a Losi 22 version 1 and the reason I sold it was due to the steering binding issues. Even in a dry day I would get the servo not responding. I even bought another brand servo, and a much more expensive one that still gave me the same problems. I would find occasionally the car would just go straight on when attempting to turn a corner.

The 22 2.0 stock steering assembly seems to be the same as he version 1 but there is now a bell crank version. The Exotek alloy one is good but note it pushes the servo back a bit so not sure you will get a full size servo in there unless you mount your receiver somewhere else.

I found the slider steering thing, is the only bad part on the Losi 22 - and there is no perfect car, they all pretty much have design flaws

Simon
Old 20-12-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macallf View Post
Thank you

The only thing left todo is build shocks and install Electrics!

The kit only comes with one set of pistons, which are 2x1.6mm holes.
Sounds like your getting on well!

If you feel like purchasing shock oil, I'd go for 30wt in the rear and 35wt in the front with those pistons, with a green front spring and yellow rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrhart View Post
The Exotek alloy one is good but note it pushes the servo back a bit so not sure you will get a full size servo in there unless you mount your receiver somewhere else.
The V2 Exotek one is more compact design and doesn't require the you to change the servo mounts, therefore the servo stays in the same place.

Old 20-12-2014

I just happen to have 30, 35 and 40 weight shock oil so that's handy!

Had to dremel the brace above the steering servo because of binding! I can understand the design philosophy, just doesn't seem well executed! Will keep a look out for the exotek version, but no one seems to have it in stock, must be popular!