Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > North West

Old 10-02-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

On the subject of " Commercially available tyres " for newer people wanting to do these races would it be possible for each of the clubs to list the tyres that work best for there club track ? For dry, damp and wet conditions.
Old 10-02-2014
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to danDanEFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegger View Post
On the subject of " Commercially available tyres " for newer people wanting to do these races would it be possible for each of the clubs to list the tyres that work best for there club track ? For dry, damp and wet conditions.
It's not like your going to dirty any if your shelf queens!
Old 10-02-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danDanEFC View Post
It's not like your going to dirty any if your shelf queens!
I am coming to play this time, can't wait
Old 10-02-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegger View Post
I am coming to play this time, can't wait
I won't hold my breath :-)

Edit: I might get a 4wd just to kick your butt back through the tunnel

Last edited by danDanEFC; 10-02-2014 at 10:22 PM. Reason: More goading
Old 10-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Collingwood View Post
I just hope doesn't rain as much as it did last year!! Sunny all week then every Bloody Sunday RAIN!
It only rained at Barrow from memory, so we're probably doomed this year!
Old 10-02-2014
Mad Member

Yeah granted your prob right. Regionals aside it seemed to rain on Sunday only loads last year though
G Paint
Answer RC
Old 11-02-2014

Thumbs down

All bs.

Had this as an unedited post from Paul Worsley on Burys page where it threatens fire and explosion and that one make in particular causes concern.

WHY NOT NAME THEM IF THEY ARE SO DANGEROUS?

In reality Back in the day where a battery could mean the difference between winning and losing yes homologise them. Now is just making the hobby needlessly expensive when you can get £20 lipos from hk which perform as well if not better than the £80 from the list!.
Old 11-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram View Post
I just dont understand this at all.

For the length of time that there is between rounds, a single battery will be enough to get through the entire meeting.
If anyone is wanting to attend the series the expenditure of one battery i think is acceptable?

Add up the cost of fuel, tyres, dinner, race fees. Your easily as the cost of a legal lipo already.
Its a one time cost also, once the lipo is on the list, its there to stay so its not as if youl need to go out and buy another.
DITTO.... battery costs are the lowest they have ever been. I've had 2x £50 packs that have lasted 2 years of weekly use. Thats a battery cost of £50 a year.... not so very long ago in the days of Nicads/Nimh you had to carry 4 or more packs at £50 each and they would last a season. Plenty of batts around the £40-50 mark that are on the list, even cheaper if you go for the Gens Ace etc. As Pauls says, given the time between heats you only need one pack for regionals anyway.

One of the biggest costs to competition is tyres! Over the past couple of years we have ended up using a lot of different types of tyres to cover the regional events. I don't mind buying tyres I will use, but carrying a big selection of tyres, glued up to rims just in case of weather X at track Y is pain in the back side and the wallet. The cost of wheels, inserts and tyres just sat in the pit box soon gets silly.

Whenever a control tyre rule for the region gets raised it gets little interest.

This season could see even bigger costs as people are now buying different cars for different tracks and conditions. So carrying 2 or 3 different chassis at what, £300 a pop could well be a competitive advantage this season.

However mention Turnigy Lipos and being able to save £20 and a big debate errupts.

Turnigy Lipos are not BRCA legal because they either don't meet the criteria (fairly basic requirements on size, case construction, availability and import paper trail) OR Turnigy can't be bothered submitting a pack a for homologation. Thats quite clearly a problem of Hobbykings making.

I hope all the people who are moaning on here about/at the BRCA with regards Turnigy lipos are also ranting with more ferocity at Hobbyking for not supporting their sport and customer base by engaging in homologation procedures.

Dozens of makers, including other cheaper brands like Gens Ace have made it on to the list.... so whats Hobbykings excuse??? If they published a UK address, phone number or email you might stand a chance of finding out... you could try Lucky Stuff Ltd, that warehouses Hobbyking stock in the UK.

Turnigy Lipos are not really available for sale in the UK, despite claiming a UK warehouse. Your transaction is overseas, you buy the Lipos overseas and they freight forward your order from stock that just happens to be held in UK. Hence you are not covered by consumer protection laws in same way as genuinely buying within the EU.

I would guess that they don't meet the basic criteria of having an EU based retail distribution base.

Are Turnigy lipos really so cheap compared to other makes.... or is it just tax avoidances and efficiencies of their operation that gives them the edge on price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram View Post
been through homologation and been deemed safe by the organisation that insures us.
Homologation is not really a direct indicator of safety. However it does check that lipos are of bona fide import to the EU and will therefore be backed some level of product liability.

Homologation is a blunt instrument - just as most competition rules. It provides a benchmark of equipment that is available for a given season and stops the use of miracle new products that might come out mid-season and make current season equipment immediately obsolete.

For me homologation lists don't indicate safety, but they do show which manufacturers/distributors are actively engaging with our sport and its organisers. Hobbywing/Turnigy are not doing that.
Old 11-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy110m View Post
Something like, "Any lipo approved by ROAR will be acceptable at BRCA sanctioned events"?
Sounds nice but it would be irresponsible.

You would be asking the BRCA to approve products for use in their events that may not be available for retail sale in the EU. Thus meaning the BRCA actively approving grey imported products not covered by the product liabilities and laws granted by proper import channels.
Old 11-02-2014
Mad Member

Well said DanW!
Old 11-02-2014

The North West Regional's are to be run the the BRCA guild lines regarding lipos and motors. The clubs have been asked when posting about booking in the advise on foot ware parking food ect. If they want to add details about what works at there track I can soon let them no to add these details.