Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 27-07-2010

Default Speed controller setup

Hi

Ive got a Hobbywing XERun 60A speed controller and motor. Which work fine for the most part. Though I have 2 small issues.

Firstly in the manual it says that apon getting a new transmitter set the throttle range. To do this you need to turn it on holding in the SET button. Which i cant find. Note the manual is a PDF i downloaded.

Second issue, which may be related to the first is. when accellerating hard the car goes really fast then slows down after a few seconds, then after a bit of time stops momentarily then accellerates hard again. Is this normal? or a settings problem?

Thanks in advance
Old 27-07-2010

The set button is a tiny red button that's on the wired end of the on/off switch.

Ludlow Radio Car Club

LRCC Youtube Vid.
Old 27-07-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

Sounds like you need to set the speedo up again with the motor and handset/transmitter.

As mdb as said, it is the small red button, on the on-off switch (or should be) with most Speed Passion/Hobbywing/Ezrun stuff.

Follow the rest of the instructions, and you will be fine.

HTH
Mark
Old 27-07-2010

As far as accelerating hard and then cutting out goes, I had this before when I was using a low turn motor NiMH cells and Spektrum receiver. For me the current surge when I accelerated hard dropped the output voltage of the cells and the BEC couldn't supply the receiver with the 6V it needed. This made the receiver turn itself off, the ESC stopped drawing current and the receiver got its 6V again and turned back on. The problem went away if I accelerated slowly to top speed, but running on a tight indoor track that approach didn't really work for me.

I changed from running a 6.5t to an 8.5t and made my own version of the Spektrum voltage protector, which is just a capacitor that plugs into an open slot on the receiver. No problems since then, but I have changed to LiPo too.

This also is known to happen with old or low C rated LiPo's, and remember that a 25C 5000mAh lipo can provide more current than a 35C 3200mAh LiPo (If they are both labelled correctly)

Hope this helps

Ben
Old 27-07-2010

Hi, thanks for the advice.

on all the instructions the button is on the ESC itself. It was staring me in the face the whole time and i only noticed about 5 mins after i posted. I feel like a spud.

I reset it and the car seems to be more constant on the speed front. Still needs setting up again as i did it wrong and the car accellerated at full pelt across the living room sofa, coffee table and across the floor. I couldnt catch it. lol.

The batteries are 4900mah Trakpower Lipos. I think it will be ok now.

Whats the voltage protector thing you said you made?
Old 27-07-2010
Mad Member

you need to get a power cap, that should sort it out
Old 30-07-2010
Mad Member

[QUOTE Whats the voltage protector thing you said you made?[/QUOTE]

a voltage protector is a capacitor basicly it stops the current goin thru the receiver from dropping below the required voltage dont buy a specky 1 there about 7-8quid i have some spare 1s i made myself £3 posted mate exactly the same as the specky version if youd like 1 let me know,i also run these with my core rc code