Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 15-11-2007

Default 501X Sway Bar, will it reduce the rear from being loose?

OK,

So far this 4wd is by far the best one I have owned. In regards to a XXX-4, XX-4, and a BJ4WE, in my opinion. The only problem I seem to have is when I come out of a corner, and the weight transfers to one side, and I get in the throttle the rear tends to sway alot back and forth. Any suggestions on how to minimize this would be great. I was thinking of the sway kit, or more anti-squat? The track I run on is an indoor dirt, hard packed, non blue-groove and very blown out. Especially coming out of corners there are lots of ruts so the backend tends to get squirrely.

Thanks in advance.
Old 15-11-2007
Administrator

is it leaning over a lot or just loose? if it's loose then a sway bar or more anti-squat will both take away traction not add it.
Try going to a longer link maybe? I use the inside on the inner link and middle on the hub at the rear. Could maybe also try standing the shocks up a hole on the tower at the rear.
Are you running the standard over-drive on the front end (small diff at the front) ? if so, that's ok.. It tends to stabilize the car.
Old 16-11-2007

I have traction. It feels like when I get in the throttle it leans back and forth coming out of a corner. Right now I am on the inner most hole on the upper mount, close to diffs, and center hole in the upright. The shocks are mounted in the second one out from the inner on the tower. I will bump out a hole on the shocks and see how that helps. Thanks.
Old 16-11-2007

What effect will I get by removing the two spacers in the kit setup under the rear upper mount? Hence lowering the inner camber link, same a shrtening it?
Old 16-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrider View Post
What effect will I get by removing the two spacers in the kit setup under the rear upper mount? Hence lowering the inner camber link, same a shrtening it?
This will raise your rear roll centre and make the problem worse.
Old 17-11-2007

What springs are you running?

I found that generally, the kit springs are far too soft.

I always run a rear sway bar on my car - but this is more to stop the rear end rolling excessively off-power when entering turns.
Old 17-11-2007

I am running AE blues in front with the middle pistons, and 45 weight. Rear are AE silvers with the middle pistons and 40 weight. Thanks for everyones input.
Old 17-11-2007

first of all loose the idea of sway bars on a blown out track they will only exacerbate the problem!!!! they stop your suspension working in an independent manner therefore causing handling issues as each axle cannot track its own course. also i feel you are way over damped try going down 5wt or change to the big piston allround as this will let the car go though the bumps better. as for your problem with roll only ever use springs and damping as a last resort!!! With the 501 you have more than enough set up options via linkage to control the problem

i recomend you try

1, lenghthen wheelbase to slow the cars pivot speed
2, raise inner link to 2 or 3mm
3, if you have alloy rear hubs lower outer link to 1mm or 0mm
4, try middle inner and outer camber link if this fails lengthen

if all fails try ae gray rear spring as a last measure

hope this helps let me know how you get on
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 07-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveproracing View Post
first of all loose the idea of sway bars on a blown out track they will only exacerbate the problem!!!! they stop your suspension working in an independent manner therefore causing handling issues as each axle cannot track its own course. also i feel you are way over damped try going down 5wt or change to the big piston allround as this will let the car go though the bumps better. as for your problem with roll only ever use springs and damping as a last resort!!! With the 501 you have more than enough set up options via linkage to control the problem

i recomend you try

1, lenghthen wheelbase to slow the cars pivot speed
2, raise inner link to 2 or 3mm
3, if you have alloy rear hubs lower outer link to 1mm or 0mm
4, try middle inner and outer camber link if this fails lengthen

if all fails try ae gray rear spring as a last measure

hope this helps let me know how you get on
Thursday I moved my inner ball stud to the middle holes, and lowered the ball stud height on my rear alloy hubs. WOW! What a difference that made, the rear feels really planted now. Thanks for all the input fellas.