Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 24-07-2017

Default Lipo 1/10th buggy help needed

I've been using Team Orion 5000 Lipos and have experienced a bit of puffing. I always put into storage after use and never abuse them. I'm not the only person to report these batts that do the same. I now want to move over to another make, any recommendations. I was looking at muchmore or racing performer as both do 100/110C.

I've tried tirelessly to contact Kyosho about these and they just ignore you which I think is awful customer service.
Old 24-07-2017

Puffing can be cause by a variety of user based mistakes or general age, its usually the former which is why most sellers and model shops detest dealing with problems with them.

I've some team orion 5000 saddles i got with a buggy i got second hand, they have clearly been through the wars and have gotten so puffy that they have broken the hard case plastic (nothing that a bit of glue in a vice didn't fix) and they are perfectly healthy in every other perspective.

For cheap bashing or practice lipo's i've some cheap zippy 5400 stick packs i got about 5 years ago for £20, they've been in everything from crawlers to boats to touring cars, never balanced, left out in the snow overnight and frozen solid and generally abused and only now are starting to show signs of death - but still perfectly usable if not loosing a bit of performance.

Racing batteries i can't fault the turnigy nanotech ultimate's, £34ish from hobbyking, i've several that are used in a 10.5t 22 and 10.5t 22-4 and at our local track you would hard pushed to notice a difference to any car with a £90+ orion or lrp pack.
Old 24-07-2017

have you been balance charging? and charging at high amps? TBH sometimes they just go like that, but keep an eye on them if they start to get warm / hot as well as puffing I would ditch them
Old 24-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark240973 View Post
have you been balance charging? and charging at high amps? TBH sometimes they just go like that, but keep an eye on them if they start to get warm / hot as well as puffing I would ditch them
Always balanced and charged at 5.0 amp.
Old 25-07-2017

Oh have Orion 5000 shortys and they started to get a little puffy not long after I bought them . Always balance charged and generally looked after much like yours have , heard a few people complain of the same .
Old 25-07-2017

I've had 12 Orion Lipo's and they've been absolute junk! They've all puffed up in no time at all and the power is very soft compared to other brands. I ended up giving them all away and switched to the Intellect LiHV 5000mAh batteries which have been great

Modelsport UK Race Team | Schumacher KC
Old 25-07-2017
Mad Member

Add me to the list of people with puffy orions.
Two pairs of saddles IIRC. Only a few weeks old.
Probably only charged a couple of dozen times (balanced and 1c every time) the nanotechs i replaced them with are still being used by a club mate for club training.

Not as bad as some intellects i had. Puffy when i got them out of the packet! Bad enough i couldn't close the battery strap.......
Old 25-07-2017
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

some points to add to the posts in here

1/ if they are swollen and the case has split, thier bin fodder, a vice anf glus is just plain stupid and puts you and others at risk.

2/ lipos will get warm, its not bad, in stock classes racers get the cells warm before using them, it lowers the internal resistance.
there is a upper limit of warm to hot, but warm to touch cells are in no way dangerous