Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 08-01-2007

Default Is there a Servo saver that will Fit in the X-5

Hi all me again

I feel the need for a servo saver in my X-5 as i need a better servo in her .. Problem is i cant find a servo saver that fits under the bodyshell i have tryed a couple ........

I have a very good £100 servo i want to fit but can't risk it without a servo saver ...

The only thing i could see to do was buy a slim servo and cut down the mounts for it to lower it in the car so i could then get a servo saver in on top , But this ment trying to sell my good servo to fund another good but slimmer servo....

Any Ideas i have seen a pic somewhere of an X-5 with a servo saver on..
Old 08-01-2007

Even the good servo savers seem to give and allow your buggy to push. If you have a metal gear servo installed the Losi servo horn should strip before you strip the gears in the servo........

Last edited by cabbynate; 09-01-2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: I'm dumb and can't spell........
Old 08-01-2007

Yes the servo horn did strip which is why i wanted to fit a servo saver as what could mount upto a servo horn a meeting could become quite costly and if it only strips 1 tooth lets say it will make the steering bad for that meeting without knowing the problem.............
Old 09-01-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

In my opinion, if you race on any kind of medium/high grip and you want to be competitive you can’t run a servo saver in a 4wd, any 4wd. If you do you’ll loose lock on load which is no good.

Assuming you have a metal geared servo. What you want is a KO or Fastrax servo horn pack. These come with a steel ring round the outside of the spline area to stop them stripping. I have ran these on every 4wd car I’ve ever had (4 years of running) on my 2123’s and never damaged a servo on the XXX4’s, xx4 and X5’s I’ve ran. Fastrax ones are fluro colours, KO do them in a stealth black, can do you a pic tonight if you need?

Dan

Nortech is ACE!
Old 09-01-2007

Cheers Dan being new to these Buggys i did not know about not running a saver Would you have a part number for the Fastrack ones you mentioned or a link to where i could get some Cheers Trev..........
Old 09-01-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

http://www.jespares.com/catalog/imag...hornpurple.jpg

This is the type of thing I was on about.

That pic was frm here http://www.jespares.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=1145 but go anywhere.

I got the same thing but in black and KO from Lesro models for about the same price. You chop off the arms you don't need.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 09-01-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....ducts_id=11991

Actually this is exactly what I use

Nortech is ACE!
Old 09-01-2007

Hi guys,

I have the same problem on my X-5. I find that the stock XX4 servo arms are a little soft and bend easily (wich protects the servo, by the way), but if I mount a better, stronger servo arm, I keep stripping the "servo arm" that is on top of the steering. I must have stripped 4 steerings that were new in one year !

Any ideas ?
Old 10-01-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Raphael,
On the steering spline of the bellcrank, try a touch of super glue before putting the arm on top, but only a slight touch of glue. You should never need to split it again, and it'll be locked solid. If anything does break and you need to change parts, a bit of leverage with a screwdriver will have it come apart again.

Chris
Old 10-01-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

I'm with Chris now, it is the weakest part of the car really (Losi designed). Thing is though you don't need to take any of that apart to get to the diff or whatever when taking the front tranny tunnel top off. Also if you glue them, you get most of the parts you're going to break when you buy the steering spline set so it doesnt really matter (if that makes sense).

I haven't run my car much since I put a spot of glue on, but it's not broken since!

I also agree for max performance the stock Losi servo arm is too bendy, but as you say, that flew does at least offer the servo some protection. For perfromance reasons I'd never run a servo saver on an X5.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 10-01-2007

Makes sence just ordered an Ali servo arm
Old 10-01-2007

Merci les amis
Old 11-01-2007
Mad Member

We have run Airtronics servos for a long time. I can't say about other brands, and really can't speak about any other servo than the 94357 we run in everything.

This servo has metal gears, except one is plastic. You can buy packets of the plastic gears -- about 5 in the package for about $10. Easy to replace the plastic gear, and it happens once or twice a year.

So Paul runs no servo saver, and occasionally replaces a plastic gear.

Because of what both Dan and Chris have stated above, that nobody runs servo savers in a 4WD, the X - 5 body was not designed to accomodate one.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC