Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Multicopters & Flight

Old 23-07-2013

Default Hobbyking Quality

Hi guys,

I'm venturing into the world of Quads... Anyone had any experience with Hobbykings products as far as quality goes. They seem very reasonably priced, or just cheap crap?

I get the feeling it will be getting broken quite a lot along the learning curve......

Cheers,

Andy
Old 23-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hobbyking are ok.
Sometimes a bit slow - but the products are just fine.
I've bought quite a few bits and pieces and generally no real problems.

Just order 'spares' or buy 2 quad frames for example.
Also - try to get as much as you can from the UK store

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 23-07-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Everything on mine (except the voltage alarm) is supplied by hobbyking. Most of the electrics are turnigy. I can't fault any of it so far!

As Andy said, order as much as you can from the UK. Postage from the international warehouse (or any of the others) isn't all that cheap and when ordering lots of stuff customs will get you too - I hear they get EVERY hobbyking parcel due to knowing it's usually valuable stuff inside! You can declare a lower value when going through the payment procedure, but I assume that if it gets lost in the post you'll only get the value declared back.

Remember... let us know what you're ordering! We can help you with "buddycodes" (if we've already ordered the same) that give you discount (and us store credit)
Old 23-07-2013

Most of my multi frames are from hobbyking.
Mostly flamewheel clone frames. The frames themselves are fine, they are more flexible than the dji frames (I have a discovery frame with real arms to compare) and a couple of mine have broke under stress from heavy landings.
I just bought a few more frames to get the spares as it still works out cheaper that way.
Plus I have a couple of the turnigy talon II quad frames. Real carbon and alloy. OK the alloy isnt fantastic but they are very good for the price.

All my multis have the kk2 board and for the money I havent found anything better.

As the others have said shipping is variable when you order from hong kong but orders from the uk with them have been quick and easy.
Old 23-07-2013

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm currently crashing a lil Syma X1,fantastic little thing. My dilemma is, do I go with a more expensive, branded setup or a cheaper Hobbyking kit to start with? I'm really liking the Discovery, or should I get a 450 sized HK quad to learn with as im sure it'll do its fair share of bouncing along the ground.... Same with the electronics. Is something like a Naza lite needed to start with or a Kk2? What about radios?
Old 23-07-2013

Its a minefield Mr Sherbs! Like i said, i think its best to go down the DJI route, i know you like your quality and DJI should fulfil that.
The beauty of the naza is its an ideal way to get straight on with flying, your x1 will teach you the basics.
When set up correctlty the naza works a treat and will get you out of some tight spots.
Life is too short to take baby steps with this kit (imoa) as long as you fly these bigger things in a safe area to start with.

Radio gear, cheapest way would be to start with the turnigy x9 £50! if purchased from hobbyking, then if you need to upgrade flog on ebay for what you paid!
Or go for the fysky taranis about £160 (with rx) this thing doeas 's'bus (one cable to naza)
or if your feeling flush go for the Futaba 14sg £425.

Anyway! hurry up and get some kit ordered so you can have some fun.
Old 23-07-2013

Just the quantify my reason for going with the hobbyking frames and kk2 is simple and one reason.

Price.

Ive flown most things over the years and I gave up flying helis due to loosing my flying site many many years ago.
It was only when a mate got me involved in the fault finding and setup of his Y6 that the bug bit again.

There is no doubt that the dji frames are better quality than the clones, as well as being more flexible the clone arms I have broken have had bubbles ec where the dji ones seem to be better made.
At the time the price gap was huge when I bought, now not as much if you buy at the right place.

As for the flight controller I like the kk2 as I can mess with the settings with the display and more so I am not worried about trashing the lot if I get carried away or have a dumb thumb moment.
Plus I can play with the firmware if I desire. GPS and other naza features would be nice but are the worth the price?
With the new naza lite that is making this question a lot harder to answer. But saying that the kk2's are what £23 now.

Just about to put my homebrew fpv setup on one of the frames to give it a try.

The same mate said I couldnt do fpv on the cheap.
He was wrong.
Home made goggles made from foam, motorcross goggles and 3.5 screen with fresnel lens.
5.8ghz vtx adn vrx with either wide angle keyring camera with video out or wdr 600 line camera.
All my fpv setup cost less 1/4 of what my mate spent on his goggles.

Do the goggles look as good as his? No.
Do they work as good? Yes.

For me my adventure into multis and fpv has been done on the cheap just to see if I could.
I didnt want to get into having a fortune into a model like I did with the helis & then be mortified when it bought the big one!

As for the transmitter I was looking and looking and found a deal I couldnt refuse on a hitec aurora 9. Had there of been the hobbyking turnigy transmitters back than the choice would have been harder.
Old 24-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Having seen the dji frame versus the hobbyking frame - and also seen / had a go with a Naza versus the KK2 - here's what I'd do.

Buy a DJI frame from a DJI dealer and then buy a KK2 board and everything else from hobbyking

I was - still sort of am - considering the Naza Lite - but the KK2 is too good to pass up.
My impression is that the Naza is for people who want to get something into the air safely - and almost anyone can fly it with gps on. Also if it goes wrong it 'should' return home.
I've read that aerobatics & flips etc are not really Naza territory.

On the other hand if you want to learn to fly yourself - and you can enable auto level which is ace - the KK2 is for you. You can set it up in the field from tame to silly flip monster in seconds.

Also different firmwares are great. I've just bought my 3rd

Old 24-07-2013

I think you've hit the nail on the head Andy thanks.

DJI quality frame around £32. KK2 flight controller are almost throw away prices, if I decide to go Naza there's minimal loss.

Just need some suggestions for motors, props, esc, lipo, radio etc.. Mike recommended the FrSky radio. Thoughts?

I'm not intending to mount cameras. I'd like a nimble powerful craft that can be calmed down to learn on, I like the idea of FPV, but not yet.
Old 24-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you are looking to do it for little cost - consider the 330 frame as opposed to the 450.
It's smaller - so you need less capacity lipos - smaller esc's / motors etc.

I went with the 330 as my 1st quad and I prefer it to the 450 I've recently built.

Old 24-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbs View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head Andy thanks.

DJI quality frame around £32. KK2 flight controller are almost throw away prices, if I decide to go Naza there's minimal loss.

Just need some suggestions for motors, props, esc, lipo, radio etc.. Mike recommended the FrSky radio. Thoughts?

I'm not intending to mount cameras. I'd like a nimble powerful craft that can be calmed down to learn on, I like the idea of FPV, but not yet.
I'd agree with Andys suggestion. the DJI f450 frame is considerably better quality in terms of arm flex and platics used. you still need to keep a few DJI arms as spares. I've broken a few. they are £4 each.

The kk2 board is ace, I've got one coming too.

Props, I can not fault the Graupner eprop 10x5s, but also consider the 9x5s and and 4S packs. The DJI 1038 props are also well balanced and decent quality, certainly a lot better than the stock DJI 1045 kit props.
I've broken a few graupner props on impact though, whereas the dji (1038) props have stayed intact.

I've got the turnigy 9x radio and used the FrSky module and receiver added in to give better range and reliability over the standard turnigy 9x module system. you could sue this first though and upgrade later. If i was buying again, I'd get the Frsky taranis radio: http://www.frsky-rc.co.uk/frsky-news...emetry-modules
It's made in the JR factory like the JR/Spectrum and Turnigy 9x radios, just better features, software and is more refined.

hobby king UK warehouse for lipos. I got their turnigy 3000mAh 40-50C 3S packs. I'd get some 4S packs next time, or if buying again. basically to give the F450/Naza more power. I don't think its needed with the kk2 board however. Andy's F450 seems super punchy on 3S, whereas my naza seems safe and sluggish on 3S compared.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 24-07-2013

Its all getting more complicated. Quadcopters UK has the frames alone or a package with motors, esc's & props. 120ish for the 330 & 135ish for the 450, so theres not a massive gap between the two. Would a package like this as good as Hobbyking electrics? Still unsure between the Kk2 & the Naza lite. The Naza seems to almost fly thee quad for you, very good as a camera platform, but doesnt it take the fun out of it? The Naza looks very good kit with some impressive features but may be too automatic for me. I would like to learn to fly more than just steer. Am I missing something? Any recommendations as far as good suppliers, apart from Hobbyking?
Old 24-07-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Nothing wrong with those DJI kits - if nothing else you know they're going to work.
If you do get one of them, be aware that the ESC's are "opto" meaning they have no built in BEC, so you'd need an external one.
You could buy very similar for less from hobbyking though.
Old 25-07-2013

OK, so if I just buy the F450v frame. Then get the esc's, motors & lipos from hobbyking...Which are the best. I'm not really to a couple of quid. 30 amp esc's? Which ones & the best motors?
Old 25-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you are happy waiting / ordering from the international store - then Col has posted his setup in one of the other threads - the motors are a bargain he's using- but not available in the UK store. I've also posted my 330 setup. All the 330 gear is in the UK store.

Give me a mo and I'll post the specs / info

Old 25-07-2013

I've just ordered a kk2 controller from hobbyking for my next project!
Think I may just get the dji f450 art (includes esc and motors).

Sherbs, esc- Afro, that's what you want. Only available fron hk store.
Waiting for Col to post which motors he's using.
Old 25-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you are getting stuff from the Uk store for a 330 - then this is what i'd order:

A 330 frame
A KK2
A Turnigy TX / RX
4 x Turnigy Plush 18amp esc's
4 motors : Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_2822_1275
Power board : Hobbyking Multi-Rotor Power Distribution Board (DIY 8 x output PCB)
Wiring for receiver / KK2 : 10CM Male to Male Servo Lead (JR) 26AWG (10pcs/set)
Props - 8x5 - whichever they have / you like the look of
Lipo - whatever's cheapest with the right plug, 3S (Three Cell) and around 2500
I bought these and they are great : Turnigy Nano Tech 2650 - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=32243

You may also need charging lead and a lead for the flight controller board to connect to the lipo. Look in the battery adapters part of the site.

On the 330 frame - there is no space really to mount the esc's under the arms - so I bought this from the Global warehouse - it's great : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...S_3A_SBEC.html

If you want to go 450 - then much of this you can keep - but you need to change the motors. I run the same lipo's in my 450. Also on the 450 you want 10 inch props.

There are non short shaft motors listed on the UK warehouse that are fine for a quad - they are listed here : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tors-28mm.html

I'd go for this one on a 450 frame with 18amp esc's
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Or you could pick a smaller / slower one.

On the esc's - if you go UK, you are limited to the 18amp Plush esc's. I have used these and they are fine - if you go Global warehouse you can get higher rated ones which give you more headroom for bigger / more powerful motors. Personally i'd buy the 'Brain' 4 in one jobbie that i have as it's super neat and great value

Hope this helps. I too have all my Buddy codes deleted So just get shopping.

Remember - the bigger / heavier the Quad is - the more expensive everything is to get similar performance / flight times. I bought the 450 to carry a camera and gimbal, but am thinking I need to go bigger (Tarot Ironman) is what i'm looking at now as I don't want a Hex really. These things are relatively cheap, so you can always swop stuff over if you change frames in the future

Old 25-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
I've just ordered a kk2 controller from hobbyking for my next project!
Think I may just get the dji f450 art (includes esc and motors).

Sherbs, esc- Afro, that's what you want. Only available fron hk store.
Waiting for Col to post which motors he's using.
I wouldn't get the almost ready to fly combo - as I feel you can get much better gear for much less buying things separately. The Sunnysky motors I have are ace and my Quad is about twice as quick as Neals - hi is running the DJI motors. Dont know if speed is down to the Naza, but the quality of the Sunnysky's is pretty amazing - so much so i've ordered another set of slightly more powerful ones for my next project

Old 25-07-2013

Link for sunnysky motors?
Old 25-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The Ones I have on my 450:
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Su...r-p-60600.html

The ones I have on order:
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Su...r-p-59929.html

I've bought an extra 980kv motor too - so I have six in total, just in case I end up going Hex in the future.

The 2216 with short shaft was out of stock when I ordered - but it's no problem as the shaft just goes through the hole in the frame anyway.

I'm thinking about putting the six on one of these:http://www.rctimer.com/product_809.html

Or buying the RCT800 frame and using the arms on my 450 to make it bigger / more stable.