Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 01-02-2007

Default X-6 Shock Limiting

HI all having built my X-6 and set it up, It seems that if you hold it up so the rear wheels hang ( as if the Bug was Jumping) and rev her up it sounds Bad as the Dog Bones are on the limit of comming out of the Diff ???

If you hold the wishbones up to simulate the Bug running on the floor she sounds good

Do i need to worry about this befor i run her at the weekend ? Do i need to limit the shock Travel internaly or somthing else ????
Old 01-02-2007
Super Moderator

You can limit the shock internaly or fit BK2 stub axles to your CVD's. Details are on the X-Factory site.

G
Old 01-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

http://www.2wdrc.com/tech_bk2_axles.html

Here it is.

It is something I have done, and never gone back.

For a long time, I ran my shocks with internal limiting to keep the bone safely away from the edge of the outdrive, but I prefer more droop, and wanted to try a high gearbox - but this little problem stopped me from doing it. Then I put the BK2 axles on and it all fits great and now I can run plenty of droop, and more if I desire, plus space the gearbox higher.

Id recommend it.
Old 02-02-2007

Thanks Chris so is it dodgy me running my New X-6 Sunday with the standard B4 rear drive shafts ??????

I realy want to run her but on the other hand i don't want to break her either

????
Old 02-02-2007

Dont suppose you know the part number for the BK parts needed do you please???
Old 02-02-2007

Default hey there

I checked mine with the ones that I have for the xx4 and there was no match. they were the same length. Is it because they were from the rear?

the stock xx4 front ones don't have the "cup" style. it's like a double U joint.

and does the tiny collar go on the shaft side of the hub? I thought that it could be just that collar that made the difference.

I guess what I'm asking is :

is the MIP front shaft longer or is it just because of the collar?
thanks
Sean
Old 02-02-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Cutting edge - With either the stock AE or Losi shocks I think there is too much droop, so on full downtravel the edge of the dogbone is too close to the edge of the driveshaft. There is a risk it can chip off the corners off the diff outdrives. Defo limit them so on full droop they are still making full contact inside the outdrives.

The BK2 axles option I cannot recommend highly enough! The drive pin is further out, so when that is spaced back to the correct place for the wheel, the CVD pivot is further in, so the driveshaft is further in and doesn't come out of the diff.

You need BK2 CVD axles a nd then some sort of spacer, XX4 front bearing spacers are exactly the right size though so most convenient!

Nortech is ACE!
Old 02-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by samboneecanada View Post
I checked mine with the ones that I have for the xx4 and there was no match. they were the same length. Is it because they were from the rear?

the stock xx4 front ones don't have the "cup" style. it's like a double U joint.

and does the tiny collar go on the shaft side of the hub? I thought that it could be just that collar that made the difference.

I guess what I'm asking is :

is the MIP front shaft longer or is it just because of the collar?
thanks
Sean

Have a read of this:
http://www.2wdrc.com/tech_bk2_axles.html

XX4 axles are not the same as BK2 axles. All Losi cars have the same axles (when using CVD shafts I mean), except for one - the BK2. the difference is that the hole for the pin is (I estimate) 4mm further out. This is what suits the X-6.

You can redrill XX4 axles to match, with a good pillar drill. If you do this, I recommend having some (borrowed) BK2 axles to hand to get the distance right.

The collar goes behind the bearing, it is the first thing you put on the axle before putting the axle through the hub. You are right, by doing this it makes the difference we need, but it will move the hole for the drivepin so you can;t use that - so you won;t be able to drive any wheels.
Old 02-02-2007

Thanks For all your support Cheers ....

This does bring up the question why does X-Factory sell a Kit which i have built that seems to need other parts to get it to work ?????

Don't get me wron't i love it like i love my X-5 but again i feel X-Factory should have alowed for this.............. either by supplying the BK2 parts or at least letting the buyer know ......
Old 02-02-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Cos, when they designed the kit, it works in the same way that most/many kits advise you to limit the shocks.

Then someone found this mod which allows you to run extra droop which on the rear is often good.

It's like running a B4 with the rear shocks with the longer rear shafts or the shock bottoms undone a couple of turns. AE has never changed the kit as it's no essential, but preferred by some!

Nortech is ACE!
Old 02-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you wish to keep running the B4 axles, this will not be detriment to the handling.

The shims from the B4 which the B4 manual mentions to put between the blue wheel spacer and the hub, I recommend that you put them on the axle first before putting the axle through the hub. This will give more bone into outdrive.
Old 02-02-2007

Default so basically what you're saying is to use the

so basically what you're saying is to use the bk2 shafts and that's it right? Sorry to be such a pain. I'll do some tests tonight and I'll get back to you.

anyone check out www.sidsraceway.com ?

it's in my backyard!

ciao amigos!
Old 02-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You don't have to, it isn't essential. But if you choose to fit the BK2 axles then I am sure you'll like it and will keep them on.

Even if you don't want to increase droop, some don't, you may just want peace of mind in that the driveshaft has no chance of chipping the outdrive corners.

Nice backyard?
Old 03-02-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Yes, the axle part and spacers are the only parts you need!

Nortech is ACE!
Old 03-02-2007

All sorted i hope after a lot of trial and error i think i am there see photos below First Picture as it was , The Second how it finished up by removing the B4 Blue External wheel spacer and fitting an extra bearing inside the hub to space it out with a couple of 0.2mm shims on the outside

Looks Ok hope it works tomorow

Sorry about the Picture Quality New Camera arrived yesterday one of those Cheap Digital Camcorders , Don't think it is going to be as good as i hoped

Old 03-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hey, good work. Its addictive to 'fettle' with cars that are 'fettle-able' isn't it

You have acheived the desired result with the driveshaft, but what it will do is make the rear of the car a little more narrow. By all means do try it and let us know how it goes.

Oh, one thing though, now that blue spacer isn't used - the wheel will rub against the hub and may meltdown quite quickly.

Why don't you put a wanted up on this forum "Wanted BK2 CVD driveshafts or axles only" as there are plenty who put the Losi UJ on and disregarded these CVD's we use on the X-6..... thats how I got mine, since I used to have a BK2.

If you want any specific photos of things I have done, just let me know and I can go and get some snaps and host them on photobucket and then make them appear here. No problemo.

Chris
Old 03-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
Hey, good work. Its addictive to 'fettle' with cars that are 'fettle-able' isn't it

You have acheived the desired result with the driveshaft, but what it will do is make the rear of the car a little more narrow. By all means do try it and let us know how it goes.

Oh, one thing though, now that blue spacer isn't used - the wheel will rub against the hub and may meltdown quite quickly.

Chris
Well Chris i tested my X-6 on Tarmac , I put one pack of cells though her with a 13x2 motor installed running 81/26 & Wow seemed very good and i did not get a meltdown of the rear wheels

Those 2 0.2 spacers seem to have done there job ok just keeping the wheel off the hub Thank God

Proper test tomorow on grass local club meet ill let you know how she goes
Old 04-02-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

What chris is saying though is to tighten the wheel up properly they used to bottom out on the tapered blue washer but now will bottom out on the hub/bearing. I don't think it's a good long term solution mate, I'd either run it std with slightly limited shocks, or wait until you can get some BK2 axles.

Nortech is ACE!