Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 12-03-2014
Mad Member

Is there a supplier with a good stock of foams - they do grip well at WBMCC
Old 12-03-2014

Location: Nottingham till I retire, then Caribbean or Palawan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbizzle5 View Post
Ive tried venoms at bridgford and they were fucking wank!
Do you reckon they were f-ing w*nk because the tyres themselves are bad or because of the carpet? Is it possible that once people stop using mini pins the carpet condition will improve?
Old 12-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
Do you reckon they were f-ing w*nk because the tyres themselves are bad or because of the carpet? Is it possible that once people stop using mini pins the carpet condition will improve?
Dan and myself ran them on the same night . Pins blitzed it .
Good way to kill buggies off if you ask me !
Venoms had nowhere near the pace of pins and are very unpredictable.
Old 12-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You would be off the pace compared to pins but then everyone would be on the same tyre and possibly the same set would last all winter, so great for your pocket.
Atm these are all ideas.

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 12-03-2014
Mad Member

Is that with or without additive?
As i can tell the difference with the VBCs.
They start off a bit slippy, then when they warm up (couple of laps) they grip like there's no tomorrow. After about 5 minutes or so, the grip drops off as the effect of the additive disappears.

There is enough grip to (easily) wheelie or flip a car if the slipper is a bit too tight, or with a silly enough motor, even if the slipper isn't too tight.

With worn tyres and plenty of additive, its grip roll that causes most of the problems, not a lack of grip!
Old 12-03-2014

mattr that's why I asked if people reckoned it was the tyres or the carpet. I am aware that at WBMCC Venoms don't grip well. But if the lack of grip is due to mini pins then it is a chicken and egg situation... People don't want to go to Venoms because they don't grip and Venoms won't grip because people use mini pins.

I don't know if that is the reason, I am merely asking to see what people think.
Old 12-03-2014
Mad Member

Hard to say but i dont think its because of the mini pins causeing the carpet to loose grip. I just think the tyres arnt great. Loads of grip on power when there expanding but as soon as you come off power and weight transfers to front then there useless. Just inconsistent and not fun on 2wd. Plus what would 4wds run on the front if you chose to run them?

I understand where your coming from as the desicion was made at Broxtowe to stop minipins but I dont think it is a popular desicion with people who run offroad but the majority run on road on a saturday there so it was a case of a vote.

Impossible to please everyone. Tough desicions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
Old 12-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
Is that with or without additive?
As i can tell the difference with the VBCs.
They start off a bit slippy, then when they warm up (couple of laps) they grip like there's no tomorrow. After about 5 minutes or so, the grip drops off as the effect of the additive disappears.

There is enough grip to (easily) wheelie or flip a car if the slipper is a bit too tight, or with a silly enough motor, even if the slipper isn't too tight.

With worn tyres and plenty of additive, its grip roll that causes most of the problems, not a lack of grip!
I'm using the venoms mostly without additive, the first round is usually a bit skitty but it soon picks up. Yes I'm Defo off the pace against pins but I'm also ahead of quite a few using pins which is good as I am running 13.5bl blinky possibly the slowest of the field.
I find them controllable and consistent. I thoroughly packed a full set (front and rear) of inserts in them

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Old 12-03-2014

Ribble valley use foams on buggies, have been doing so for a while. If you look at our club section you'll see every so often we have the rebate about going back to pins but the benefits of foams make it something of a no brainer.

As for supply, most of our lads get them direct from Schumacher, the 1/8th circuit tyres they brand as contact. We cut the inner ribs from the wheels and stretch them on. I did my 6th night racing on Friday, tyres still going strong. I'm expecting I'll get another 5-6 race nights out of them.

We do use additive but even factoring that in, its fast, and more importantly, very cheap racing!

Hope you find a solution which works for you.
Old 12-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers, I'm trying foams atm and I've found that if I do an outlap before the start, I don't actually need any additive. ( I believe these started life as contact 1/8th foams, now on buggy rims).. I've not changed any settings from running pins, so prob could be quicker if I did. Just a shame they are not off the shelf.

Old 12-03-2014

We race indoors too sharing the track with 1/12th scale and a lot of drivers run foams on buggies, we use the Schumacher 1/8th scale donuts not an ideal fit but they work.
Old 12-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dodd View Post
I find them controllable and consistent. I thoroughly packed a full set (front and rear) of inserts in them
Same thing with me, I find them consistent with a slower motor just lacking in overall grip. Not tried them with plenty of power, but it makes sense that them expanding so much would make them rather unpredictable. A fast motor might even rip them off the wheels
Old 22-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

http://www.racing-cars.com/sp/catego...oad_Tyres.html

Foams for buggies now available

Old 23-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dodd View Post
Indeed, when payday arrives going to order some.
Old 23-03-2014

The rears are very grippy, I added an extra lap to my best time, but am now having to shim my diff due to the extra load!
Probably don't help running 6.5 turn orca and 7k oil in a 2wd. But worth it for a more drivable car.
Wear rates are very good, I reckon 1 set will last 6months easy.

2nd is 1st placed loser!!

Old 26-10-2014

tried the venoms in doors today down the port tablot club, heated and additived up, un drive-able on the slip they work well and grip on the carpet, no grip at all