Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 03-03-2014

Location: Nottingham till I retire, then Caribbean or Palawan.
Default Lipo storage at home

Last week at the track something happened that freaked me out a little, a lipo went up in flames quite violently and I have to say the lipo bag didn't survive too well. It burnt through it and made a huge hole on the carpet!

This got me thinking of how I store lipos, just in bags. I was thinking of getting a metal box for them as well as the lipo bags. Do any of you do this? Was thinking of getting an cheap ammo box from Ebay. 50Cal ammo boxes look plenty big and don’t seem to cost much.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Old 03-03-2014
Mad Member

I may be wrong - but I thought lipo's were only at risk of going up while either charging or discharging? I thought that while in a static state and not connected there was no chance of them going pop?
Old 03-03-2014

If your worried, then its not a bad idea. Although i would look for something less conductive!

Batteries that are well looked after don't spontaneously combust, so just make sure the wires and connectors are in good condition, and check there is no risk of accidental shorting or damage and your most of the way there.

Most electrical fires in RC come from bad wiring or damage. So regularly inspecting your gear for any issues and dispose of any cells which show signs of damage or that you are not happy with. (most council tips will take damaged cells off your hands)
Old 03-03-2014

I have personally constructed a large 5metre wide by 10 metre deep pool of water in my spare room, covered by a light fabic attached to a pully system. I rest the lipos on the fabric, if theres a fire the fabric will burn quickly dropping the lipos into the pool of water and the pully system will cover it over with a 1 foot thick metal cover.

I will then run for cover in my underground bunker for 3months, eating baked beans from tins, assuming the lipos have burnt the entire earths surface.

The above may or may not be the true. seriously, if you're worried, check the batteries for any swelling, if they feel a little 'puffy' get rid and buy some new ones. Keep them stored at a storage charge and in a bag, unless they're damaged in the first place you'll be fine.
Old 03-03-2014
Mad Member

I don't think its a bad idea to be cautious. I also witness the fire and it was bloody dramatic.

The LIPO bag, at best, lasted 5 seconds which was long enough for somebody brave to grab it and throw it. The rate at which LIPOs burn is pretty scary and there is little benefit in a fire extinguisher/sand bucket to hand since the damage will be done in the first few seconds.

I don't exactly know why the LIPo on friday caught fire but my understanding was that it puffed up during charging so was disconnected and placed in a safe bag to cool. 30 seconds later big flames.

I suppose the safest storage solution is to store them in the pouch and then place that in a metal box. There is a clip on youtube about somebody testing an old cash box:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6M5ftkN9PtY
Old 03-03-2014

ammo box of ebay
Old 03-03-2014

Biscuit tin,

E REVO
BAJA,SS TS REED
All The Gear,and No Idea!!
4PKS,4PL
PILLOW CASE CREW
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29834
Old 03-03-2014

Quote.."I may be wrong - but I thought lipo's were only at risk of going up while either charging or discharging? I thought that while in a static state and not connected there was no chance of them going pop?...."

No you are correct..! Lipos only explode if something goes wrong during use...usually overcharging or over discharging....slight chance during a major accident if the cell case gets broken...
Just think how model shops store hundreds of cells....in the cardboard box on open shelves..!!
Old 03-03-2014
Mad Member

Yes, if you are concerned then putting the LiPos in your pouch in a steel box to reduce the effect of a fire is useful.

Let's be clear - a LiPo can go up at any time irrespective of its state. Charge, discharge, storage. Research papers conclude that the major reason for this is faults during manufacturing that cannot be eliminated because of the many variables in use of chemicals during the manufacture of this type of battery. Another reason is the growth of things called dendrites that occurs during use of a LiPo, and more likely during abuse of a LiPo. Overcharge of a lithium-ion cell can cause significant degradation of both anode and cathode. On the anode, overcharge can cause plating. Plated lithium forms dendrites (hard crystals) that can grow over time and then cause internal shorting.

The plastics separating the anode and cathode are about 0,030mm thick, or about 0.001" - 1/3 the thickness of a human hair. Anything that penetrates these separators causes an internal short. Sometimes that short melts the plastic and seals it off. That is usually accompanied by some puffing as gasses are released. Sometimes the puffing is a prelude to a short.

When a cell is on charge or discharge, the cell has a source of energy. If something happens that causes a short then during charge or discharge, the charger provides additional energy to the problem. The charger feeds the short, and the discharger keeps taking energy out so also feeding the short. These are the most likely times for a problem. The least likely time is during storage at the recommended storage voltage.

Do not be scared of LiPos. Problems have arisen when chargers are incorrectly set, or people deliberately set out to ignore instructions and advice by charging above the 4.2v/cell limit, or discharging below about 3.2v/cell. This is to be expected - ignore advice and you increase risk.

Use a sack properly - push the cell to the bottom of the sack, fully fold and seal the lid and avoid the 'boxes' as they have too many gaps for the fire to get out. Don't overcharge, don't over-discharge and store between 5 and 25 degC. If you feel better about having your stored LiPos in a sack in a metal tin then that's good planning. HTH
Old 03-03-2014

Thanks for the replies guys, will use a metal box boxed of some kind just for peace of mind.
Old 04-03-2014

I've recently bought an ammo box for this reason. They fit inside nicely while still in their lipo bag. They should be safe during storage, but for £7 from a local antiques market it seemed like a good investment.
Old 04-03-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

How should one dispose of a lipo?

I have one I accidentally charged at 3S instead of 2S and I spotted my mistake - but the lipo swelled - tried discharging it - but charger didn't want to know.

Just shows - user error can cause problems.....

Need to get rid as I feel like its just waiting to go pop.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 04-03-2014

Good question! I've always wanted to know if you can just take them to a normal battery recycling place or not...
Old 04-03-2014
Mad Member

If you have a dodgy lipo.
Fully Discharge it first then put into bucket of salty water for few days.
As long as there is no volatge left at all it is safe to put into normal waste bin.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 06-03-2014

Don't laptops, phones, tablets, cameras, mp3 players mostly use lithium cells now? No one is concerned about these spontaneously igniting. Maybe you need a bigger ammo box!
Old 06-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRacer View Post
Don't laptops, phones, tablets, cameras, mp3 players mostly use lithium cells now? No one is concerned about these spontaneously igniting. Maybe you need a bigger ammo box!
I would rather be safe than sorry
Old 06-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
Good question! I've always wanted to know if you can just take them to a normal battery recycling place or not...

I take mine to the local recycling centre - they just get placed with other batteries (mainly 1:1 car ones) in and open area away from combustible materials. I've sent a few soft packs there over the winter, and last night noticed a couple of hard case packs have swollen whilst in storage (not used for ca 4 months), so they will be going too asap
Old 06-03-2014
Mad Member

Our recycling place has a separate place for non-pb batteries. Pretty good idea seeing as a good percentage of scrap batteries are either nimh or Lipo these days.
Old 06-03-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Couple of points from me.
1/ if you put them in an ammo box make sure the box can vent.
2/ if all your Lipo are in one box and one does fail, your going to have one impressive chain reaction.
Old 06-03-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris56 View Post
I don't think its a bad idea to be cautious. I also witness the fire and it was bloody dramatic.

The LIPO bag, at best, lasted 5 seconds which was long enough for somebody brave to grab it and throw it. The rate at which LIPOs burn is pretty scary and there is little benefit in a fire extinguisher/sand bucket to hand since the damage will be done in the first few seconds.

I don't exactly know why the LIPo on friday caught fire but my understanding was that it puffed up during charging so was disconnected and placed in a safe bag to cool. 30 seconds later big flames.

I suppose the safest storage solution is to store them in the pouch and then place that in a metal box. There is a clip on youtube about somebody testing an old cash box:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6M5ftkN9PtY

Is that meant to soundlike it was not being charged in a pouch, then when it puffed it was put in a pouc I was told by the owner was a charger issue.