Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Multicopters & Flight

Old 13-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Heyup Graham.

I'm sure Neal or James will have the answer - but in my limited experience, descending vertically, in the wash of the prop (dirty air if you like) can induce the wobbles. So far, with my 330 as it's a small quad - it does it quite badly if I come down quick. What I try to do - is fly down at an angle. A proper - prop balancer helps a lot too - is this what you have already done ?

On my 450 quad, it's no where near as bad, I think the size / weight of the phantom isn't helping. Maybe Neal or James can help with Naza settings too?

Do the Graupner props fit properly, I know I need some reducing rings for mine to get them on the 330 as they have 8mm holes that reduces to a 5mm hole, so I need 8to5mm reducing rings to get them to fit accurately.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 13-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamH7060 View Post
Sorry to crash the thread but I wasn't sure which section to put this in !
I need some help please guys, I flew my DJI Phantom again yesterday for the first time since I fitted some 9" carbon props , it seems to be more responsive with them than with the kit props

The problem is , if I try and descend quite rapidly the quad becomes very unstable as it drops , sort of wobbles from side to side !
Is this normal ? Or is it cos the props are slightly larger diameter than the kit ones ?

I balanced the props as accurately as I could prior to installing , thought it might also be due to the carbon props being stiffer than the kit standards

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated please , oh & one more thing , what's the best settings to have my hero 3 black edition set to for filming ? Don't want to make fancy vids just something that does the job !

Cheers fellas !

Graham

Hi Graham, here is fine, or start a new thread topic in Multicopters & Flight.

The phantom is set out the box to work with the stock props. you've altered the props, so probably need to tune the gains within the naza softeware to take out some of the decent wobble.

The decent wobble is a bit of a "feature" with the naza/phantom. Mine does it going straight down. I find it goes if you move forward or back as you descend. on an angle, as Andy said above.
Also what software version are you on? last month DJI updated all their software to newer versions, which improved the decent wobble somewhat.
I'd make sure you are on the latest software, check it then, then also google for gain settings with the 9x5s on a stock phantom, and give thenm a try.

Regarding the Gopro settings, I don't have a black, only a hero 2, and only just got it attached to my quad yesterday for the first time. I use either 1080p-30 or 720p-60 as its the best I can use. I'd probably go for 1080p-60 or 720-120 though it i could. Depends what you are filming for i guess. if its just to record the flight for youtube, keep it small.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 13-07-2013

Thanks for the replies guys ,

Andy the props aren't graupner ones they're just some I found on eBay , direct fit , seem to be okay for the money though , the prop balancer is okay I guess , consists of a couple wheels at each end that the rod rests on and two conical shaped brass things that centralise the prop , nothing fancy but it seems to work okay !

I also balanced the kit props too before installing the carbon ones which also improved the handling from "out of the box" status so I think the balancer is okay

I haven't connected the phantom to my MacBook since I got it so I guess a software update is a very good idea !!

I shall try and do it tomorrow when the wife is out as she still doesn't know I've got it !!! ( nor does she know about the GoPro ! )

That's what sheds are for though right ??

Anyway , thanks Andy & Neal for your help , might get Jimmy to start a sticky thread entitled " Help & Advice"

PS Andy I still haven't painted the SC shell you did the Diesel graphics for ! I'm too busy now to paint with the quad !! These things get you hooked !!

Thanks again both of you

Be more questions no doubt very soon !

G
KO Propo Espirit 4 stick radio

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 13-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

No probs Graham. The missus will find out ;-)

Phantom software update here: http://www.dji-innovations.com/downl...tom-downloads/

Assistant 2.14 and firmware 3.14 is latest. get the assistant on, then update the firmware from there. This almost certainly will improve the decent. I'd try that, then look at gains for your props.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 14-07-2013
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Hi Graham, as Neal and Andy say there is a wobble on high speed descents caused by the dirty air, the new Naza (software and hardware) improve this though, if you descend a little slower hence less dirty air that will improve it.

Smaller props and higher voltage make for a smoother flight less affected by wind and I would imagine descent will be smoother too.. However I think you'd be best to stick with the 9 inch props on other phantom as it a bit more out of the box than some of the other quads so fitting bigger batteries etc might not work so well. I would definitely stick with high quality props though, I bought some unbranded (but non the less not cheap) carbon fibre props but they were really weak and the centre hole wasn't central - the graupner eprops are the ones too have, not too expensive and excellent quality, plus they have slightly more lift than standard.

Ps I don't think there's a mac version of the dji software, I have a mac and have to use a windows partition to setup my naza.

Last edited by James; 14-07-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 14-07-2013

Thanks for your replies and links guys, I will try and update later

James , I've tried to locate some graupner props but everywhere I've tried seems to be out of stock ! Any ideas who's got them in stock ?

The carbon ones I did buy seem okay , I balanced them by adding some very thin vinyl tape where necessary , as they are all nicely lacquered and didn't want to sand off the finish ! Is it better to remove material from the props to balance them or to add ??

Also , I'm far from a whizz on my Mac , when you say you had to open a windows partition , what exactly is that ?
Please forgive my ignorance !

Thanks again for the help

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 14-07-2013
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Hi Graham, I never balance props with tape, it does a terrible job, I tried this once and the results were terrible. I sand the heavy side down (underneath) with some 1000 wet and dry and they fly smooth as silk after doing that. Shame about the laquer though!

There's no way I could explain how to partition a computer in a thread like this, (not sure I could do it again anyway lol) Is there a pc in the family? i'd just use that, naza software is quick to download and I think easy to use.
I suppose you could use a programme called parrallels which will run windows and IOS on your computer but its quite expensive.
Old 14-07-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamH7060 View Post
Thanks for your replies and links guys, I will try and update later

James , I've tried to locate some graupner props but everywhere I've tried seems to be out of stock ! Any ideas who's got them in stock ?

The carbon ones I did buy seem okay , I balanced them by adding some very thin vinyl tape where necessary , as they are all nicely lacquered and didn't want to sand off the finish ! Is it better to remove material from the props to balance them or to add ??

Also , I'm far from a whizz on my Mac , when you say you had to open a windows partition , what exactly is that ?
Please forgive my ignorance !

Thanks again for the help
Use VMware on your mac, it will emulate the windows program for you without having to run it natively (on the hardware)

I'm sure there is a free version or similar software you can use.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html
Old 14-07-2013

Thanks Danny I shall try that

Only trouble is finding the time alone to do it without the wife seeing !!

It's my birthday on Thursday so I think I will unleash the Phantom as a gift from a friend , complete with hero 3 !

2 birds with one stone !!

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 14-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'd like that friend!
Old 14-07-2013

Ha Ha ! It's not a lie , a friend did get me the phantom , I bought the GoPro !

It's just I will say it's a "different" friend who got me the quad !

Long story I'm afraid , but for those who know me they know the type of friends I like to have !!

Anyways , I've balanced the props by sanding them instead of adding tape , next test flight will probably be tomorrow

Had a play today watching the lads race at my local club , it was difficult to fly as there are parts of the area that are protected from the wind by trees, and some exposed , tried out the wireless connection from the GoPro to my iPad and it kept losing the signal ! I can see I'm going to out grow the phantom fairly quickly and will start spending some serious coin like you boys !!

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 30-07-2013

Right guys , the phantom / GoPro are now officially in operation !! I unveiled them at the weekend as my birthday treat from my mate !!

No more hiding them in my workshop from the missus !!

Anyways , I have hunted high and low for some graupner e props and can't find any to fit the phantom anywhere !!

Can anyone suggest a place I can get them please ?

Cheers
G

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 31-07-2013

http://www.gliders.uk.com

You will have to bore the props out to 8mm to match you phantom motors.