Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Multicopters & Flight

Old 09-04-2013

Great stuff hero 3 should be just what I'm looking for !

So , regarding the anti jello mount , anyone got any opinions about which to get or if the standard mount on the Phantom will suffice ??
KO Propo Espirit 4 stick radio

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 09-04-2013
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

I'd get anti vibration pads yes, its really frustrating to have taken some great video only to have it ruined by the jello, you can attempt to remove it using video editing and also youtube can stabilise but the results aren't very satisfactory.
The results from the phantom will be good without but as for is it worth it - thats a yes.
Old 09-04-2013

Thanks James , so should I get the carbon one I've seen or the Perspex one ?

Also , is it worth upgrading the propellers & if so what's the benefit ? And what difference does propeller balancing make ?? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a real newb to all flying things !!
KO Propo Espirit 4 stick radio

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 09-04-2013
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

I don't know which ones you've seen?

I've read numerous times people have had the standard props fail and snap mid air on the 450/550, don't know about the phantom, might be less likely as its lighter. If you buy upgraded props you'll notice a huge difference in strength and rigidity. I wouldn't risk my 550 with standard props now it has landing gear, gimbal etc, but its much bigger and heavier.

I've balanced props but not noticed much difference, but I'm not a pro flyer! Can't hurt if you've got the time to do it!
Old 09-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Which vibration pads are good to get?

James, have you seen this french youtube video on the 550?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvolt_rQoTU

there are english subtitles.

I've been playing with mine tonight, trying to get the three position switch setup correctly on my radio, but failing.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
I've been playing with mine tonight, trying to get the three position switch setup correctly on my radio, but failing.
Sorted now, I was using channel 5, rather than channel 8 on my receiver.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-04-2013
Mad Member

What forum's are you guys reading on.

I love the idea to build one spec wise from hobby king like the list you posted and the frames seem cheap money.

I want more knowledge on how you upgrade once the bug has hit and indeed more info on the glasses ect.

Id prob go the route of a go pro for the time being and I like the idea of gps and its benefits.

Also why do you need 8 or 9 channels but 4 will suffice for the time being.

Thanks

Col.
RC18T
Lunchbox Gold
X-6 squared
Lrp, Novak, Robitronic, Ko Propo, Ezrun , Trakpower ,Team Scream, Demon, Microtech, Dms, Good old Jezza, Je-Spares, Bolton Model Mart,

My Feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25199
Old 11-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I broke it ;-)
Old 12-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Neal.

What happened ? Looks like it was flying well though
Been really busy the last few days - so not managed to pursue mine yet.

Andy

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 12-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I got a bit confused and it accelerated towards me and the ground. These things don't have brakes like an RC car!

GPS addon, more spare arms and props ordered last night ;-)

I need to mess with the gains. I was also flying on 100% dual rate with guestimates on the gains.

First flight:
Old 12-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinevan View Post
What forum's are you guys reading on.

I love the idea to build one spec wise from hobby king like the list you posted and the frames seem cheap money.

I want more knowledge on how you upgrade once the bug has hit and indeed more info on the glasses ect.

Id prob go the route of a go pro for the time being and I like the idea of gps and its benefits.

Also why do you need 8 or 9 channels but 4 will suffice for the time being.

Thanks

Col.

Hi Col,

I found it difficult to find the right information needed to build mine from Hobbyking parts, which is one of the reasons why i went the DJI Naza route. there is lots of info out there on quads, but so much to trawl though, it was difficult to get to the information quickly. The other Col may be able to give you some pointers, as he went down that route and ordered from hobbyking?

I used google and looked at a lot of youtube videos. really useful for seeing what works.

4 channels will give you the basic 4 controls. it won't allow you to use a selector switch to select different modes, remotely adjust gains, or control the camera gymbal however, but you can fly if that's what you have.
Old 12-04-2013
Mad Member

Thanks for the reply.. I had me a good ganders at the dji stuff and watched a few builds on youtube and read as many reviews so now have a slightly better understanding on whats needed.

Pros and cons to the gps and the serious flyers think theyre a wash out and want to actually fly there crafts.i on the other hand would rather play it safe and I can always sell it later on when my balls have grown ha ha. I say this as I dabbled with a collective pitch 3d heli with not much success. It wouldnt hover easily and I ended up damaging my carbon fibre blades and they werent cheap every time I decided to grow a pair and set it up.

What im not sure on is regarding the radio but seen from recommendations about the turning 9x and also rrgarding what controller and flashing and hacking ect.

I think goggles and a gimbal would come at a later date snd somethink like a mount and a go pro would be perfect for me for the time being.

Im also gempted just to get something small for the time being like that bug thing mentioned in post 1 jusy to have a dabble on. Does anyone know if there the right way to go or should I look at something else.

Lastly is it a big leap in cost from a 450 to a 550 and what are the advantages and disadvantaged. Not much difference in price for the frame but then again ite everything else ha ha.

Thanks

Col.

Im
Quote:
Hi Col,

I found it difficult to find the right information needed to build mine from Hobbyking parts, which is one of the reasons why i went the DJI Naza route. there is lots of info out there on quads, but so much to trawl though, it was difficult to get to the information quickly. The other Col may be able to give you some pointers, as he went down that route and ordered from hobbyking?

I used google and looked at a lot of youtube videos. really useful for seeing what works.

4 channels will give you the basic 4 controls. it won't allow you to use a selector switch to select different modes, remotely adjust gains, or control the camera gymbal however, but you can fly if that's what you have.
RC18T
Lunchbox Gold
X-6 squared
Lrp, Novak, Robitronic, Ko Propo, Ezrun , Trakpower ,Team Scream, Demon, Microtech, Dms, Good old Jezza, Je-Spares, Bolton Model Mart,

Old 13-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Col.

The 'Bug' thing's are ace. I got mine from BangGood as per Neals recommendations. Flew it in the park on a nice still day and it was amazing. So good i've bought another. I think i'm going to make sure i'm confident with it before flying anything bigger. It's a great way to learn hoy to fly. The speed of the thing is amazing. I got confident and crashed it many times with no breakages. I'm sure a big Quad would have died from my flying style!

I'm going the DJI route and Naza as it looks like the business. Also I think i'll go GPS too as I like the 'fly home' concept. The DJI Phantom looks cool, and I may be getting my hands on one through another route to learn with.

Get a little toy one - get down the park over summer and learn to fly, that's what i'm doing.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 13-04-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Mine is in the UK.

I know this due to the mahooooosive customs bill...

I use this forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-ele...ltirotors-790/

For stuff like the above use "scratchbuilt", for the 929,939, 949, 959 stuff use mini multirotors.

I have all the ones above (and others) so can help if you're after recommendations for a micro
Old 15-04-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
Mine is in the UK.

I know this due to the mahooooosive customs bill...

I use this forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-ele...ltirotors-790/

For stuff like the above use "scratchbuilt", for the 929,939, 949, 959 stuff use mini multirotors.

I have all the ones above (and others) so can help if you're after recommendations for a micro
Thanks col.

Im going to order a micro for the time being as its cheap money and its been a while since I attempted to fly anything ( apart from a 501x doing 8 foot in the air lol).

So far bang good seem cheap for a wl toys variant. Im actually liking the idea of the model with the built in web cam. Check the vids out on you tube its better than what you think for £40 all in delivered or so.

However I also saw the wl toys helicopter and was like should I buy one if them as well lol.

I have a 3d dragonfly that had radio probs around 5 years Go. It was a cheap at the time £130 ish model but was plagued by cheap electrics. Servo glitching. Cheap receiver and radio. I could probably now buy a decent turnigy 9x and receiver and have this for the heli,
Power a micro heli with itsown receiver and also use this for when I get around to buying a 450 or 550 .

Is there anywhere in the uk to get cheap micros though .

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Col.
RC18T
Lunchbox Gold
X-6 squared

Old 15-04-2013
Awesome Admin

Yeah, I have a couple of 911's, a 912 and a 913 as well...

911 is great indoors, 912 great outdoors (in mild wind) and the 913 was a rash purchase and I haven't flown it. By all accounts it's not as good as the 912 anyway.

A 9x will bind to all the previously mentioned WLToys range (but not 3d capable 922 heli or any of the 2xx range quads) with the right module (the FrSky I believe)
Of all the bunch, the 939 is the best. New gen 949's are actually 929's with different canopy's and the 959 is an old gen 949 with firmware added for the camera. All fly well outside and are quite capable in mild wind, but turbulence is massive and off putting.
For the price, any of the range is superb. The only thing that comes close in value for money terms is the Husban X4 - it's a better machine but substantially more expensive (I have one of these as well...)

Latest toy has landed...

Build well underway

Last edited by Col; 03-06-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 16-04-2013
Mad Member

Ha ha great stuff and thanks for the advice. My mrs would be too suspicious on a box full of shiny parts id have to hide it in the car and build it lol.

Im thinking a 911 heli and either a husban x4 as they sell them locally at jespares ot the wl toys quad with camera then. I just didnt fancy getting stung on the customs.

Post some pics up of the build and make me dig the credit csrd out ha ha.

Col.
Quote:
Yeah, I have a couple of 911's, a 912 and a 913 as well...

911 is great indoors, 912 great outdoors (in mild wind) and the 913 was a rash purchase and I haven't flown it. By all accounts it's not as good as the 912 anyway.

A 9x will bind to all the previously mentioned WLToys range (but not 3d capable 922 heli or any of the 2xx range quads) with the right module (the FrSky I believe)
Of all the bunch, the 939 is the best. New gen 949's are actually 929's with different canopy's and the 959 is an old gen 949 with firmware added for the camera. All fly well outside and are quite capable in mild wind, but turbulence is massive and off putting.
For the price, any of the range is superb. The only thing that comes close in value for money terms is the Husban X1 - it's a better machine but substantially more expensive (I have one of these as well...)

Latest toy has landed...

Build well underway
RC18T
Lunchbox Gold
X-6 squared

Old 16-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:

Build well underway
Looks great Col, looking forward to seeing it at York.

Hope the duty bill wasn't too much.
The backlight kit for the 9X is worthwhile getting. I put one on mine. available from the UK store too (no duty or long wait).

Mine is doing odd things. It's like its loosing radio contact and flying off to one side, before crashing. Trying to test by process of elimination.
Old 16-04-2013
Awesome Admin

All done, calibrated and (hopefully) secured properly.
Far too windy for a test flight at the moment, and our lass is sleeping beauty upstairs (she's on nights) so can't even spin it up much downstairs

Last edited by Col; 03-06-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 16-04-2013
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Hope the duty bill wasn't too much.
All bits (inc 9x and FrSKY) were $346 delivered, and the customs was EUR 70.48.
So I've absolutely no idea how much any of it was TBH...