Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Multicopters & Flight

Old 14-09-2013

Default Flytrex

Any Naza pilots, (apart from Kitch) tried Flytrex?
Old 14-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

No had not heard of it until you said.
http://flytrex.com
Looks good, want that...
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 14-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Actually I don't think I like it. You have to sign into it with your facebook account, linking your flights and location to facebook, and having it public. You've got to upload your flight data to be able to do anything with it, so you are reliant on the service being available to continue to use it, and you have no control over what they do with the data you have generated.
In my mind if it was not linked to facebook in anyway, and the data recorded was in an open/standard format which would allow you to process it as you wished, then it would be good. Having to upload your flights to a publicly accessible and searchable service to be able to look at and use the data seems a bit open and not very private to me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 14-09-2013

There's a few videos on YouTube, from what I can make out its your choice if you make your data public or private. I've ordered one, price seems quite cheap. Will see how we get on. I was going to attach my phone to the quad to record gps data, but now I won't have to risk it.
Old 14-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbs View Post
There's a few videos on YouTube, from what I can make out its your choice if you make your data public or private. I've ordered one, price seems quite cheap. Will see how we get on. I was going to attach my phone to the quad to record gps data, but now I won't have to risk it.
It loosk good, but really not keen on the facebook link thing. Be good to hear how you get on. you can export the data from the website to get something useable for your own stuff, however.

Yeah, I've got a gps logger that records the tracks, speed, height, trip, etc. i don't use it all the time, and its better and baulkier than that unit. Price is good to be fair, but i may investigate other gps loggers.
Old 14-09-2013

What type is it Neal?
Old 14-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbs View Post
What type is it Neal?
It's an old gosget GPS logger off ebay 5+ years ago. used it as a speedo/tracker for snowboarding. its a bit big for the quad to be fair.

I'd look on ebay for something newer and smaller. That flytrex is nice because it uses the naza gps.
Old 15-09-2013

Option is there to turn Facebook off. Nothing will appear on Facebook.
Old 15-09-2013

That's good. Don't want everyone to know how geeky I really am......
Old 15-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
Option is there to turn Facebook off. Nothing will appear on Facebook.
Have you got one Mike.

Point is really that even if you turn off publishing of flight data publicly, its still held by facebook, and searchable by anyone who flytrex or Facebook give access to, or anyone who requests to see the data. Its collecting data on who is flying what, and where. Let's say someone complains about you flying, you are trackable, by the police, etc.
Old 16-09-2013

I do have one. Doesn't bother me about being tracable, flying is not illegal. If the worst was to happen e.g you had a flyaway or such, I have public liability cover in case it lands on somebody's head! But to be fair it would be very difficult for somebody to prove you were liable in the event of a malfunction.

I have flown over houses, don't really do that anymore but I've not got anything against anybody who does (unless their peeving in my house window).
Flying in a field or open space could still be a concern, if you lost control of your craft (flyaway) what's to say it wouldn't fly over to the nearest housing estate and land on someone's head? Or a dog walker or fly up and hit a low flying real size craft.

It's like anything in life, just use a bit of common sense.
Old 16-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

How did you go abut getting the 'public liability cover' ?

Cheers.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 16-09-2013

It comes with your BMFA membership.

Just make sure you stick to the CAA rules when you're flying and you're covered
Old 16-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
I do have one.
Any chance you could email me a raw flight data file please? from the SD card before it goes to facebook/flytrex. Also, I believe you can export a CSV file from the platform, any chance of seeing one of them as well? thanks.
Old 16-09-2013

Awesome idea! Went on the globe and found someone has been flying from the field just behind my house...!
Old 16-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry @ JE Models View Post
Awesome idea! Went on the globe and found someone has been flying from the field just behind my house...!
Does that mean next time you see it your gonna shoot it down...?
or buy a flytrex?
Old 16-09-2013

The more I look, the more I like the sharing idea, if only to see what others compare like. If you want a more individual logger Hobby king sell the Quantum GPS logger v2. Costs just over £30, powers from the receiver, has it's own small screen & data can be exported to Google maps. Worth a look?
I joined the BMFA yesterday, a single years membership can be bought online for £16 & includes 3rd party liability cover. Not sure if there's any small print saying where you can & can't fly. Hopefully I'll never need it, in this day & age you never know.
Old 17-09-2013

Quote:
Does that mean next time you see it your gonna shoot it down...?
or buy a flytrex?
Or aerial attack? The 350QX's just came in, FPV setup hmmmmm!
Old 19-09-2013

Sherbs is third in the top speed list!
Old 19-09-2013

A little more tail wind or manual for the win!