Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 28-05-2009

Default New car - Running Problems

My son and i have entered the remote control car world with the purchase of a Firestorm 10T - having run 6 or 8 tanks of fuel through it we find that on starting the engine runs and drives the wheels, when you reduce the throttle trim the wheels continue to run and if you stop them manually or via the hand controller - it stalls! Please help!
Old 28-05-2009
Woop Woop Member

sounds like your clutch is binding. possibly from a snapped clutch spring. check your instructions as to how to remove the engine and clutchbell to check this or if you are unsure how to then go to your local hobby shop who will have the knowledge to do it for you

woop woop racing officialy keeping team toe out inline
Old 28-05-2009

I'll give it a go, thanks.
Old 28-05-2009

For it to stall, clearly the clutch is not disengaging.. This can be due to : - Idle too high. Clutch incorrectly assembled, Faulty clutch springs. If you had to assemble the clutch yourself, have another look to ensure it is correctly assembled, clutch shoes should be trailing the direction of engine rotation and pulled firmly to the centre by the clutch springs. The clutch bell should rotate freely with the drive train when the engine is not running without trying to turn the engine over. Have a look, then maybe you can give a bit more info.
Old 30-05-2009

Dazzler, top tip thanks - weather fantastic here today - we are going to give it a go! I'll let you know how it goes. JD
Old 30-05-2009
Mad Member

Try the simplest thing first - the idle screw adjustment. My guess is that as the engine has broken-in and become a little more free revving, the idle speed has increased and is now engaging the clutch. Just back it off 1/8th off a turn at a time.

Taking the clutch apart first might get you into a whole load of confusion! As mentioned already, if the clutch is jammed then the bell won't spin freely by hand (with the engine stopped).

EDIT: Did you adjust the mixture during run in? It could also be that you have gone a bit lean by mistake and that will increase revs at idle too.
Old 30-05-2009

Sosidge, took the car to my local dealer - very helpful there - clutch spring was broken so they replaced the whole thing with something a little more robust. Have also adjusted the idle screw and mixture - now running like a dream. Me happy, son more so. Thanks to everyone for their top tips.