Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 21-09-2012
Mad Member

Default RC Bags/Cases (Travelling by Public Transport): What are my options?

Hi everyone,

I thought this would be a nice topic to start at the end of my first season as a racer, as I now know for sure that I'm addicted to the racing

This season I've been using what I had to get me and my gear to the track:

1. My card for public transport (which is my only affordable mode of transport on these long distances)
2. My school backpack (I was surprised to find I can squeeze a car, transmitter, charger, batteries, spare parts, tools - really the most essential stuff to attend a race - in there)!
3. A sport bag (clothes, spare tires, raincoat, sometimes my prototype car, drinks and food)
4. A sleeping bag (in my hands)
5. Camping pad (on top of the sport bag)
6. A tent (also in my hands)

For next season, I'd like things to be different. I can't change my mode of transport for now, so the next best thing is to do something about the rest

For starters, I want less of a load on my back and shoulders. Also, I find the sport bag always has spare space, but frustratingly it's never enough to fit the camping pad or sleeping bag in there.

In other words, I want some kind of rolling suitcase that can carry all the luggage I (until now) carried on my body.

Once I have that, It would be a bonus if I can find a way to get a small table and/or a small chair with me to the events so I'm not constantly dependent on what other people can take with them for me or what's at the track already. Lastly, I'd also like to have some space left to take my DSLR camera with me (as that is my other big hobby).

So to summarize it... What 99% of people carry in a car or a camper, I want to carry with me through trains and buses Has anyone got suggestions how to make that happen?
Old 21-09-2012

What about a fast tax 1/8 hauler bag
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 21-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpi_guy View Post
What about a fast tax 1/8 hauler bag
I saw that one on Youtube (the rebadged ProTek one by the way), it's pretty huge for an RC bag/case. I'm wondering though: How is it to use in daily life/practice? Especially regarding the durability of it, it will really go through a lot in public transport.
Old 21-09-2012

I have the 1/10 hauler bag and I fit a spare car in bits, tyres, power supply, charger, controller, tools, manuals and pit towel so a 1/8 should fit more or less everything
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 21-09-2012

And I still have a empty drawer
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 21-09-2012
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Motocross type bags are pretty good, they're lighter than the hauler bags but still very sturdy and with big capacity, could be worth looking at.. The Fox or Sparco ones are worth a look..
Old 21-09-2012

Hi there

I travel to all my rc race meetings by train!!!! and the national champioship!!

What I do is I use a ruck sack and a bigish suitcase which i bought from debenems> I fit all my stough in there. I put my tent air bed sleeping bag box of spair parts tools in the case and put the car, bateries transmitter in ruck sack

hope this helps!!!
Old 21-09-2012
Mad Member

Thanks for the info and suggestions guys! It sounds like the RC Haulers have enough space for my RC gear, but I don't have space for my other stuff in that situation.

I looked at the Motocross bags: They are indeed very nice - I had a look at some brands, I really liked the Ogio and Thor (And Fox had a really nicely square one, but it seems to be discontinued?) - If I want one I'll have to find a dealer in the Netherlands - I'd prefer to see what I'm buying first (this counts for all the bags/cases etc. by the way).

After some further searching I found 2 Samsonite cases that 'could' work - their strength (and Achilles' heel) is the fact that they don't have internal pieces to seperate parts.

And just a minute ago, I found this:
http://www.atlantaluggage.com/media/..._a_black-1.jpg

A luggage cart. I didn't know these existed (not for consumer use/foldable anyway), this could work well for me! I could just stack the luggage instead of looking for a bag or box in which everything fits: One box or bag for the RC, parts and tools, the tent, the sleeping bag, the camping pad and potentially a table and seat). I could just buy some extra bungee cords to properly secure the stuff, and wear a small backpack with me.

@philip: Cool story! It sounds pretty similar to what I do, with the difference being you have a suitcase whereas I'm still dragging around the sport bag and camping stuff seperately - by the sound of it, it's possible though to get everything to fit in a large suitcase?
Old 21-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
After some further searching I found 2 Samsonite cases that 'could' work - their strength (and Achilles' heel) is the fact that they don't have internal pieces to seperate parts.
Sheet of corrugated plastic, a sharp knife, a roll of duct tape and 20 minutes.

Job done.
Old 21-09-2012

hi again

Yes i get most of my stuff in the suit case i fogot to say one with wheels i use it all fits quite well i dont have a table though i just use a cloth dust sheet and a pit board!! but recently ive started to use an end of someones table and borrowed a chair. comunal pitting i enjoy its more socal that way and u lern more from other drivers. where do u race if i ever saw u id show u what i do
Old 21-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

+1 for the motorcross bags they are big and if you still have most of your boxes things came in then packing won't be a pain. Ice Hockey bags as well but they are branded so the prices rise.

Ill be looking at something similar to this next time its about £50 and 115 Liters 760 x 370 x 430 mm

Something with larger wheels is good

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 21-09-2012

ive travelled all over the uk by public transport, doesnt matter what hauler you have , if the wheels arent big enought your screwed
forget the rc haulers, they are not designed for moving about more than from the grown ups car to pitting point
Old 22-09-2012
Mad Member

That's some really useful info I was already thinking: 'Are those small wheels going to enough for the job at hand?' - Not just the size, but the fact that they are (often) so close to the main body of the bag/case, and the small size puts the axles and bearings close to dirt, grit and grass.
Old 22-09-2012

I have one of these and they are pretty good
http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=518

www.aranwilcox.com
Old 22-09-2012
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

This old dear seems to manage alright with hers - perhaps the wheels are bigger than on the rc bags?

Old 22-09-2012

Send a message via MSN to russmini

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKiwi View Post
+1 for the motorcross bags they are big and if you still have most of your boxes things came in then packing won't be a pain. Ice Hockey bags as well but they are branded so the prices rise.

Ill be looking at something similar to this next time its about £50 and 115 Liters 760 x 370 x 430 mm

Something with larger wheels is good

Can you link me to anymore info on this bag? Looks kinda what I've been looking for.

Cheers
Old 22-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Sorry dude its in Sweden but heres the info , use google translate.

I would be happy buying an sending it but shipping will be a killer

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 30-09-2012

i use the cheap fastrax one that modelsport sell i think with postage it comes to £63 i travel via national express buses and trains and the case has never let me down the only thing you might have to do is have a seperate bag for your clothes.
Old 02-10-2012

I have one of these 100L Dakine split haulers for all my Snowboarding gear

http://eu.dakine.com/p/bags/luggage/...it-roller-100l

Also got one of the bigger 180L Ogio bags for my motocross kit

http://www.ogio.co.uk/products/travel/Rig-9800

It's cavernous inside so you should get everything you want inside!!!!! Pretty bullet proof too.

Only thing is both of them are not cheap but you can find them on eBay all the time for about half price or less second hand
Old 07-10-2012
Mad Member

Thanks for all the advice guys I managed to get a second hand collapsable trolley for 20 euros (from Samsonite so quality should be fine) - at that price I just couldn't refuse trying this before buying one of those awesome (though pricy) bags that we discussed earlier in the topic. I should get it somewhere next week, I'm curious if it's as good as it looked on the pictures, I'll let you know about it!