Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Basingstoke Radio Car Club

Old 23-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPhil View Post
Ok. I liked that one. Prove me wrong with your suggestions.
Show me others and say why.
Tracks should have features not obstacles, that one looked more like an RC assault course - as someone else said, it doesn't flow, the surface makes each lap random, where's the fun in that?

Without wanting to offend you (or anyone else) do you want to race or bash? stuff like that would be fun if you weren't racing, but I don't see the appeal on a race track where the fun is seeing how fast you can compete against others.
All IMHO of course!
Old 23-08-2011

Mark, I understand your point and we all appreciate all the help and input we are getting, but why do you insist that none of us have been on or seen a track before, some of us have even been to your track at Slough.
Since the start of this project, all our members even those that are newbies have been studying and researching and Visiting other tracks.
Yes we have a lot of novice members, but even they have been involved with other RC activities and some even full scale motor sport, enough to know how to help out laying motor tracks. If every track was a copy of someone else's ideas this hobby would get real old real quick.

For all other comments and ideas regarding the "Basingstoke Track" please post them on "Basingstoke Off Road Track".

For more insults aimed at Phil for his cr*p choice in tracks, please carry and posting here and be as abusive as you like, after all he is the H&S officer so he's got thick skin. Sorry Phil, but that track does suck.

Anyone else brave enough to post a track suggestion for the Greatest Track.
Old 23-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetbee View Post
Tracks should have features not obstacles, that one looked more like an RC assault course - as someone else said, it doesn't flow, the surface makes each lap random, where's the fun in that?

Without wanting to offend you (or anyone else) do you want to race or bash? stuff like that would be fun if you weren't racing, but I don't see the appeal on a race track where the fun is seeing how fast you can compete against others.
All IMHO of course!
I have to agree with peetbee on the RC assault course.
Old 23-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticvandal View Post
Anyone else brave enough to post a track suggestion for the Greatest Track.
May not count as 'Greatest Track' but ones that I like are:

Indoors: (slightly biased!) but how about the track from the UKMicrox?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWBZ7wRDCJ4
May have been for micros but it 10th cars ran round it fine and it shows what you can do in a relatively small hall (although the straight was 20 metres plus)

Outdoors:
Personally I liked the Robinhood national track
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/2011national-rhr/
& the Southport track
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/2010national-southport/
Old 23-08-2011

Quote:
Have a look at this one chaps.

This is an AMAZING track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Ik14MrVFTrU
that track would do my nut in.

from a spectators point of view, It's quite a spectacle - but to drive? hideous.

as others have already pointed out, the surface is inconsistent and the layout doesn't seem to allow any rythymn. it's got 'car killer' written all over it!
Old 23-08-2011

The UKMicros track looks like a right laugh. Love the vertical section.

Try this one. Looks like they had loads of time to make it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6frIdmqtIkA
Old 23-08-2011

Phil, you really like you jumps don't you. Which surprises me in a way, seeing as you have such difficulty driving in a straight line even. oooooo sorry mate couldn't resist that one - you know Im only joking
Old 23-08-2011

I like em' because I've not had the opportunity to try them!!

You wait, when this track is finished I'll show you just how cr*p I am at going over them.

I certainly seem to have attracted an amount of critisism for my choice of track and my comments but I base my opinion on what I think looks enjoyable, a challenge and different. As has been said, "If every track was a copy of someone else's ideas this hobby would get real old real quick".

No offence taken Mr. Peetbee, I appreciate your comments and see your point entirely.

I'm no racer (waiting for the abuse on that comment) and certainly don't have a lot of experiance with nitro or electric cars, but I do know what I want out of this hobby (as it is a "hobby" to me). To me this is about having fun, a laugh, enjoying what I give my free time up to do.

If others decide that they are going to take things more serious than is ever necesary so be it.

Be boring, go do your stuffy, structured racing.

Me? I'm gonna go and get my car out and see if my daughter can drive it because its fun.
Old 23-08-2011

Well said that man
Old 23-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
To me this is about having fun, a laugh, enjoying what I give my free time up to do.

If others decide that they are going to take things more serious than is ever necesary so be it.

Be boring, go do your stuffy, structured racing.
I totally agree that it is about having fun, a laugh and enjoying yourself but structured racing can still be fun without being at all stuffy. If it's not fun the numbers will soon drop off (and you'll need some structure to run a club).

But build a track that's a car breaker or obstacle course and you may love it but not everyone else will - unfortunately all tracks are compromises between what you would love to build and what is practical, safe and keeps the majority happy.

I co-run a club and give up a lot of my free time to do so, if racing wasn't fun then I would have packed it in long ago.

I hope that it works out and am only sticking my nose in cos I fancy packing my RC stuff for some midweek racing this winter when I visit Amazingstoke with work!
Pete

PS I wasn't keen on the other track you posted either! It was just jumps with corners connecting them
Old 24-08-2011

Peetbee

Without speaking for my esteemed fellow members of our fine organisation it would be great to see you at any of our meets, bashing or racing.

Maybe when we meet you can improve my knowledge on what does and doesn't make a good track for racing!!

Regards

RC"I wouldn't know a good track if it jumped up and bit me"Phil
Old 24-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

LOL, I am no track design guru that's for sure! Look forward to it