Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Norfolk Buggy Club

Old 21-01-2015

Default Car for Ethan? Now sorted! Thanks

Hi, which car should I get for Ethan, the 8 year old son?

We have decided to sell both vintage Ultimas and recycle the money in to a more modern car that will be easier to drive at the club, more robust with spares available and be an appropriate car as he transitions in to a competitive racer, to last say 3-5 years before he is beating me and wants something better. And a type of car known at the club which will be helpful for advice in the future. The electrics could be a modest spec and look to upgrade later when he is ready.

So assuming a budget of say £250 ish what would you buy?

Second hand. Just missed on a £110 B5M which would have been handy as that's what I run. Kitted out, it would have been on budget. Not much else available at the moment.

RTR. The B4.2 RTR is £229 and the DEX210 £170. We would need LiPos and to change the transmitter to sticks.

New kit. Hobby king have the B5 at £150 and B5M at £171 which seems good, but would struggle to kit out for £250 ish.

Welcome suggestions. Thanks, Justin.
Tamiya Hornet, Kyosho Ultima, Mardave Mini Stock MkII, 1/20 scale RC Catarmaran 2ft (school technology project), Kyosho Ultima Pro, 1/16 scale RC Catarmaran 3ft (inherited), RC10B5M, RC10B44.2FT, RC10T5M, B44.3, B6.1d, B64D, B74.1D, B6.4D

Last edited by JustinWood; 22-01-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Request no longer needed
Old 21-01-2015
Mad Member

I would keep an eye on the for sale section and ebay as there are still people changing teams before 2015 starts so there might be some good deals about on cars that have had very little use.

I'd also put a post in the wanted section on here and see what replies you get. Ask for something like a B5M, stick radio, brushless motor and esc, servo and shorty lipo, and just see who comes back to you.

I'd also be ringing round some model shops, 2015 spec equipment is gradually filtering in so they might be able to sort a good deal on 2014 spec gear.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 22-01-2015

Default Sorted

Thanks John, took your advice and managed to get in touch with someone wanting to sell their B5M, their price for the car was too high but once I cleared out their spares drawer we had a deal (I hope!). So Ethan joins the Associated stable. Cheers
Tamiya Hornet, Kyosho Ultima, Mardave Mini Stock MkII, 1/20 scale RC Catarmaran 2ft (school technology project), Kyosho Ultima Pro, 1/16 scale RC Catarmaran 3ft (inherited), RC10B5M, RC10B44.2FT, RC10T5M, B44.3, B6.1d, B64D, B74.1D, B6.4D