Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 01-05-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

The lock isn't brilliant, but the whole idea of the car is not to let it slow to a crawl. Remember, with the motor and cells down the centreline, there is more weight forward compared to most. I whizzed mine around a tight grass track yesterday and whilst it was still moving, produced LOTS of steering just if I crashed, turning around was difficult.

It may only need a little dremmeling of parts, also, the stock configuration gives a lot of toe-out which in fact makes the outer wheel in a turn have less lock to.

For those who are interested, I have emailed RW Racing in a hope that he could create a conversion layshaft to allow the use of a B4 slipper assembly, I think the easiest way would be to actualy have a new layshaft gear cut and then pinned to the layshft I think, if there is enough room.
Old 01-05-2006

IMO the reason why the lock is limited is because the MD1 screw which goes into the steering rack (C1) hits some plastic on the lower skid plate (B1) right in the middle where one of the screw comes thru from underneath the car.

This piece of plastic only needs trimming a few mm, and replace the 3x10 tapping screw with a smaller machine thread screw and the steering should have more movement.
Old 01-05-2006

I shall have a look at mine, whilst I am trying a few things... going to flip the front wishbones and run longer shock bottoms there, shorter on the rear and also look into making a little more room for the motor.

B4 turnbuckles will also go on this week and maybe a carbon front tower if I got time and go to Losi shocks.
Old 01-05-2006

Someone's already got some c/f tower out:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tamiya-Dark-I...QQcmdZViewItem

Note, this auction has nothig to do with me, just posting it to show you guys
Old 02-05-2006

Default parts to be fro dark impact

hiya chaps!

here are some parts to look forward to, from tamiya:

53924 - RC DF03 Heat Sink Bar
53925 - RC DF03 Slipper Set
53926 - RC DF03 Alum Oil Damper Set
53927 - RC DF03 Damper Spring Set
(from Tamiya's website)

I'm certain the slipper will be a great addition.
cheerio!
-alexander
Old 02-05-2006

Done the damper thing, can't see them being any different apart from pistons and shock bottoms, heatsink bar would be good, the slipper, I don't think I will bother with, sending the parts off to RW Racing (makers of all things gear wise) to have a layshaft made to accept a B4 slipper assembly as I realy don't want to have to go buy even more pinions to go with my 48dp, .6module and 64dp.
Old 02-05-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM
Done the damper thing, can't see them being any different apart from pistons and shock bottoms, heatsink bar would be good, the slipper, I don't think I will bother with, sending the parts off to RW Racing (makers of all things gear wise) to have a layshaft made to accept a B4 slipper assembly as I realy don't want to have to go buy even more pinions to go with my 48dp, .6module and 64dp.

yes i agree....hope for aftermarket layshaft that will accept B4 spur gear and slipper pads........tamiya policy on pinon's module is very *** :-D

Bye!
Old 02-05-2006

To let you know, I have been in contact with RW in the UK, I am sending a DF03 layshaft and a B4 slipper assembly up to them this week for him to be able to make a layshaft. The downside is that because the original layshaft is a press fit, I am asking for a gear to be machined to go on to the new layshaft.
Old 02-05-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM
To let you know, I have been in contact with RW in the UK, I am sending a DF03 layshaft and a B4 slipper assembly up to them this week for him to be able to make a layshaft. The downside is that because the original layshaft is a press fit, I am asking for a gear to be machined to go on to the new layshaft.

Wow really interesting...i'm still waiting for my DF-03 from japan....but if RW will realease this layshaft i'll preorder one sure.....
Bye!
Old 02-05-2006
Administrator

Is this something RW will produce, or something for just yourself Steve ? and, how do you know all these people ?!? well connected or what!

p.s. I wouldnt mind one of those b4 adaptors, theres no better slipper.
Old 02-05-2006

hi guys....are this parts for the dark impack?
i can't understand japanese...maybe you recognize them...

oh..yes i've checked the manual...but are exact the same only made of alu....:-(

Last edited by capellone24; 02-05-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2006

Jim, dealt with him in the early 90's in my first phase of Tamiya devotion hee hee... don't spend from 1989 till now and not get some good contacts I guess.

As for it being for general release, that would be up to Neil Stubbington from RW if he wished to produce it, but then I guess if he CNC's one, just as easy to make a few more.
Old 02-05-2006

capellone, where are those parts from?
Old 02-05-2006

Send a message via MSN to craigosh

deffinetly interested in a b4 slipper setup.. I to dont want to have to have a whole bunch of new pinions when i can use the ones for the xxt..

See if you can get him to release it steve... bet there would be a number of takers...
Old 03-05-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM
capellone, where are those parts from?

this parts are from www.pro-s-futaba.co.jp it is a very nice japanese shop ....i've buyed from them many times........
but i think that RC-Champ also have this parts in stock..........
Bye!
Old 05-05-2006

Guys, the DI section of my website is up... an ongoing development but it's ok to start with.

Link:
http://web.aanet.com.au/fir/dark/index.htm

Does anyone know what diameter the axles on the new Yokomo 4wd are?

I was thinking that if they are 5mm, then their front wheel hex is likely to fit the DI, allowing you to run Losi rims.

EDit: Link changed to my new Dark Impact site.

Last edited by bender; 09-05-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2006

Bender, your more than welcome to run some pics of mine if you want.
Old 05-05-2006

found something here about a slipper, I dont know any japanese though so not sure whats goin on.. any ideas what car that slipper if from?

http://orange.ap.teacup.com/applet/macha/archive?b=40

craig
---------------------------------------------
racingdynastorm.blogspot.com
Old 05-05-2006

It is from a Kyosho Lazer ZX5 which someone has machined a shaft for by the looks of it.
Old 06-05-2006

ok found this http://www.k3.dion.ne.jp/~rccar21/umesandf03sp.htm
using the spurs off the DF02 to allow the use of 0.6 module pinions. Great if like me you have a load of pinions for the Topforce.

Really though the car needs a slipper which will take 48dp/64dp spurs. Any news on that B4 conversion steve?

Also out of interest what is the width of the car with zx5 rims on? i have some ballistic 5 spokes for kyosho which am guessing will have the same offset. Have them on the Top Force at the mo and it's just in legal BRCA width.

As for xx4 rims, seen that car on benders site and they are probably the yok adapters up front but what about on the back cause arent those wheels just pin drive? will they just fit straight on??