Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 06-02-2010

Send a message via MSN to T4miy4 Guy Send a message via Skype™ to T4miy4 Guy
Lightbulb DB01 Centre one way (54051)

Has or does anybody use one of these?

I have one and was thinking of fitting it in my501 but am alittle unsure as to how it would perform, could someone possibly explain as to what the advantage`s or disadvantage`s this has over a front one way or as to how they both differ (which surface or type of track is best for which)

(My 501 is raced on an indoor running track and astro turf)

Cheers

Andy
Old 07-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

TBH Andy I've locked the centre one ways on my D4 and XX4 up for running at Chadderton. They both ran better last round with full time 4wd than previous rounds with 1 ways.
But I did like the one way for Goshen, so might be worth a try. You can try my D4 with and without (takes moments to swap) to see the effect it has.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 07-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
TBH Andy I've locked the centre one ways on my D4 and XX4 up for running at Chadderton. They both ran better last round with full time 4wd than previous rounds with 1 ways.
But I did like the one way for Goshen, so might be worth a try. You can try my D4 with and without (takes moments to swap) to see the effect it has.
But i want to know what the difference is... i understand a front one way,but how does a centre one way differ?

Andy
Old 07-02-2010

if u are running a centre one way, then u have a diff in the front end, so on power it works just like u are running without a one-way, off power u have the freewheeling effect of the centre one way but the diff is still operating and will still provide a little more resistance to the wheels spinning at different speeds compared to a front one way. My feeling is (though ive not used either in my tamiya but ran them in my cat 3000) the front one way is the more extreme, then the centre one-way is less extreme if u want the one way effect
Old 07-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

There are 2 types of one way - Centre or Front Diff.
Front Diff replaces the front diff giving each front wheel one way action,
Centre replaces the front driveshaft (D4) or controls the front belt pulley (Cat, XX4). This keeps the normal front diff action, but provides one way drive to the whole front end.

Its called centre as on a belt drive car its mounted on the centre layshaft, but can only affect the front of the car as otherwise you'd have no braking!

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 07-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
if u are running a centre one way, then u have a diff in the front end, so on power it works just like u are running without a one-way, off power u have the freewheeling effect of the centre one way but the diff is still operating and will still provide a little more resistance to the wheels spinning at different speeds compared to a front one way. My feeling is (though ive not used either in my tamiya but ran them in my cat 3000) the front one way is the more extreme, then the centre one-way is less extreme if u want the one way effect
Thanks Migs pretty obvious really think i`ll give it ago , still waiting on my 511 shell should be any day now .

Andy
Old 08-02-2010

Spot on Mikey.

Off-power there will be very little difference.

On-power the front one-way will act like a spool.

The car will feel much more aggressive with a front one-way than a centre. Both will give you more off-power steering.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 08-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP View Post
Spot on Mikey.

Off-power there will be very little difference.

On-power the front one-way will act like a spool.

The car will feel much more aggressive with a front one-way than a centre. Both will give you more off-power steering.

Cheers,
Scott
Indeed, its interesting to me, in testing the car at 3 different circuits, the last thing i needed was more off power steering i had it set up pretty stiff in the front with heavy oils in the front, went from 32.5 up to 40 with small hole pistons and a fair bit of ride height and the front end just ripped the car round corners and held the line very well through long corners etc and with a few of the tracks needing big braking for hairpins, i dont think the oneway is for me, what i am going to try just to see what happens is the front spool out of a ta05, just see what that does to the car, from what ive read i'll get more push into and mid corner, and better drive out of corners, so it might even help the balance of the car, plus full brakes as well, anyway its worth a try, u running urs soon?
Old 11-02-2010

Sounds interesting Mikey. The spool in the front could be a good option based on how you've described the car's behaviour. If you're going to run a spool though, I'd suggest to run a steel diff in the front. Since there's no 'give' in the spool, they can be VERY unforgiving!

I haven't run mine yet, but at least I have a body now! Hoping to make it to CH for a clubbie in March. Hope to see you there.

Cheers,
Scotty
Old 11-02-2010

yeah for sure, the spool i got came with a TA05 i bought and the outdrives are steel, no way would a plastic one last, lol.

Yeah scotty, get it out there man, the db01r loves the old school tracks, so CH and ryde it loves, even at st ives it was quick
Old 12-02-2010

LOL - just re-read what I wrote and realised what a tool I am!!! That's what happens when you post in the morning before caffeine intake!

Scotty
Old 12-02-2010

nah its cool scotty, i knew what you meant, im a plastic outdrive master and i could have well made my own spool, locked it up and used plastic outdrives, and have it destroy itself in 4 seconds, luckily i got a proper one with the touring car so i can test it out anyway as a tuning aid, and see what i think anyway, nothing ventured nothing gained