Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 10-06-2012

Default tamiya servo saver

Hi, I'm running a 511 and have noticed it does not track straight. Everything is free, nothing is bent. I need to adjust the trim everytime I go have a run. I have had over a dozen different cars, so I know how to set up cars, but is the tamiya servo saver crap and not centering properly?

what are you guys replacing them with?

I'm thinking of just using a normal servo horn, as I have never ever stripped a servo yet....touch wood
Old 10-06-2012

Send a message via AIM to AaronR

I use an Associated B4 plastic horn. I've stripped one once, so the risk is there.

An aluminum horn is another option, but again, risk of destroying a servo.
Old 10-06-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

You could try a Kimbrough servo saver, bit more manly.
Old 11-06-2012
Mad Member

Yes, any Tamiya servo saver is junk. The heavy duty ones are okay when brand new but it doesn't take long to wear them out as the metal springs dig into the plastic and gives it loads of play.

Always use Kimbroughs in everything I run, a lot better than risking stripping the servo gears.
Old 14-06-2012

Cheap fix : once did a field mod when i noticed the front wheels whobbling on a high grip track. I simply pulled a tie wrap around the servo saver. It made it a lot stiffer and worked so well I've used this field mod as a permanent fix.

A long time ago, I couldn't get my 1/12th pan car trimmed. I quickly noticed the servo never got back to the same neutral point (I was using a Kimbrough saver). It turned out to be a bad/worn potentiometer inside the servo. Mini Futaba analog servo's and all analog Hitec servo's were ntorious for this potentiometer fault. I don't know if digital servo's still use a potmeter to determine their postion, but it could be worthwhile to put your car on the track with the body off (you have to load the front wheels) an check if the servo itself always goes to the same neutral point.