Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 21-01-2010

Default First Time Out

I ran my X6 Squared for the first time at Formby on Sunday and was very pleased with its performance. One thing I did notice was that the front wheel was lifting on turning at the end of the straight, certainly more than my B4 would at the same speed. I have set up the car to match the settings in Ellis's Standard setup sheet and the weight (1750gr) balance is spot on 35/65. So, two questions:
  1. Would fitting a sway bar at the rear help, i.e. is the front lifting perhaps a symptom of too much rear roll?
  2. I have the graphite chassis - would fitting a plastic chassis provide a little more flex and help damp down the lift?
Is there any other obvious action I should consider?
Old 21-01-2010

Hi Tony,

I had this problem in the first few rounds at the Petit last weekend.

Running the sway bar would help with this. I also upped the shock oil in the rear from 30w to 35w and went from pink to red springs. Also moving the rear shocks to the middle hole on the wishbone helped a lot.

The problem i found using stafford's set up was the rear was far too soft and collapsed under acceleration causing the inside front wheel to lift. Doing what ive mentioned above cured this problem and the car was close to perfect. Lastly i added a liittle more weight in the front as i was lacking on power steering, this helped and also contributed to keeping the wheels from lifting.

Craig Collinson
Old 21-01-2010
oOple Advertiser

Make sure the rear ride height isn't too low, if it is it can cause the problem you mention and you'll loose steering too.. You have to run the the rear of the car quite high compared to what you might think.
Old 21-01-2010

Craig/Kev – thanks for the useful input.
Regarding softness of the rear suspension I must say that I was surprised how soft the standard setup is.
I’m running Losi shocks as per the setup sheet with pink springs and 25 oil. I think my first step will be to up the oil to 30 and fit a sway bar, see how that goes at Bury this weekend. Then, if I still need more, I’ll try your other suggestions.
Regarding ride height, I have it set at 25mm front and rear as per the setup sheet. Is this what you have set yours at?
Old 21-01-2010
Mad Member

Just a general suggestion, Tony: One change at a time.

That's all. Hope you're having a blast!

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 21-01-2010

I'd say red spring would be good but also I pretty much always run 30wt now in the rear and up it to 35 at times. I believe we have new set up sheets going out soon??

Also there does seem to be a difference in some losi shocks, mine are very old and I seem to run a little lighter than others sometimes for the same feel??

Middle hole on the rear arm is good but the car doesn't land jumps so well like that.

And yeah a roll bar will of course help.
Old 21-01-2010

Thanks - picking up on Chazz's point I will take it steady on changes and move to 30 oil first.

Even though my setup is not perfect yet, as a relative beginner, I really appreciated the steady handling of the X6 in comparison to my B4.
Old 21-01-2010

Landing off jumps in the middle hole wont be much of an issue for most people, but for you jumping 50ft off every jump it probably will be! lol.
Old 21-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

with regard to "changing one thing at a time" I agree with that if you want to learn what these things do.

but if you just want a setup, do it all and then 'learn' from that point onwards
Old 21-01-2010
#1 ZX5 fan

Defo don't be afraid to run 30wt oil in the rear, my shocks have always felt different to Ellis and have always run heavier oil usually 30wt. Also at the risk of just repeating above Kev is bang on about rideheight, with Tranny low I never run mine lower than driveshafts level, that should be about 25mm so you have that covered.

One last question is how much droop do you have, 1 run 2 limiters in the front but with the rod end only wound on until it hits a set of snips that I hold the shock shaft in the grove at the end of the thread. If you wind them on until they stop you'll have less droop.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 21-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Landing off jumps in the middle hole wont be much of an issue for most people, but for you jumping 50ft off every jump it probably will be! lol.
ha ha
That middle hole though really only works over here on indoor tracks or real flat tracks, anything else you want inner, I rarely go to middle for any track.
Old 21-01-2010

Thanks again guys.

Regarding limiters I have put none in the front, but I do wind the shaft right in as I use a cloth and pliers to grip while I turn. I guess the end result will be similar?
Old 21-01-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
Also there does seem to be a difference in some losi shocks, mine are very old and I seem to run a little lighter than others sometimes for the same feel??
Yeah I run 35WT in my rears and this feels the same as other peoples with 30WT in
Old 21-01-2010

Ellis / Chazz

Do you know when you expect to have the new setup sheets available and do you have one from the players that I could download please.

Have ran my x6sq at worksop twice now and its third outing will be there again at the winter finals next weekend.

Im currently running the 25 weight on pinks with red pistons although I do have a roll bar on and I have played with the front linkages etc to get a bit more steering.

Will be interesting to see how different your setup was from what mine is currently and give me the chance to experiment further

cheers

Lee
Old 21-01-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to matdodd

Hi Tony
just to give you an idea heres the setup I ran there last Sunday, its not that far from what the lads have suggested.

Mat
Attached Files
File Type: doc X6 Indoor carpet southport.doc (67.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 21-01-2010

Thanks Mat - interesting that you and a number of others use red springs on the rear. I'll have to order some and try them out.
Old 22-01-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Thanks Mat - interesting that you and a number of others use red springs on the rear. I'll have to order some and try them out.
You'll be lucky Tony, red rear springs have been on back order with Horizon since the end of the summer mate......
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 22-01-2010

OK thanks for the heads-up on the springs Darren. I'll leave the springs to the last item to tune and if I still need a change I could always try my AE shocks as I have a full set of springs for them.
Old 25-01-2010

A Quick update following the race at Bury yesterday.

I changed my oil to 30, fitted a sway bar, and added 26gr behind the servo. The car is now planted, no more wheel lifting.

I'm going to leave it like this now for the next few meetinsg and just get used to the different drive compared to the B4. By the final I'd learn't to let the car take a long sweeping bend at the end of a fast straight with power on right through - super feeling.

Still only got into the duffers final though, but I did win it. Onwards and upwards.
Old 25-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
A Quick update following the race at Bury yesterday.

I changed my oil to 30, fitted a sway bar, and added 26gr behind the servo. The car is now planted, no more wheel lifting.

I'm going to leave it like this now for the next few meetinsg and just get used to the different drive compared to the B4. By the final I'd learn't to let the car take a long sweeping bend at the end of a fast straight with power on right through - super feeling.

Still only got into the duffers final though, but I did win it. Onwards and upwards.
i was in that duffers final lol.Got tangled up on the first few laps and started getting into last 5-6 laps got last but not bad i've only been racing 5 months....
you got 30wt all round then?

I have 35wt front 30wt rear with pink springs....