Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 04-04-2014

Default General Lipo questions

Ok totally new to these batteries and im trying to learn as much as I can so I dont nuke anything or mess up the cells. I generally like to be as kind to batteries as possible and go for maximum longievity because well, im a massive tight wad.

So when storing, what voltage and % charge should they be left at? How long is it acceptable to leave them fully charged? Is it ok to charge them the day/night before you want to use them? Or is that too long?

Again I always go for longievity over any possible performance benefits, I used to charge Nimh at 2 or 3 amps and never let the voltage get below 6.0v. So I guess im asking whats the kindest way to treat these things. Cheers!
Old 04-04-2014

Most chargers have a storage charge function that balances the cells at 7.6V (2 cell) I always charge at 1c or less as my cells are 5600mah and my charger only does 5A, I left my first lipo fully charged for 2 weeks between race days, it swelled that much the case split open and I couldn't get the drawer open on my poly butler!!! Welding gauntlets on and lobbed into a bucket of salty water in the middle of the garden for a week.
Now I get up early and stick a pack or 2 on charge before an event and storage charge them as they come out of the car
Old 04-04-2014
Mad Member

1C or less is the best for longevity. Don't store fully charged. If there's a week or so between racing, then leave them as they are after the last race. If longer, then as Beale says use the 'storage' option on your charger before storing somewhere that does not go below 5 deg C or above 30 deg C. If no storage options on your charger, discharge to about 3.4v per cell and then store.

It doesn't seem to matter if you charge the day before, but leaving cells fully charged is not helpful to a long life. For the best life, don't fully charge or discharge. Use the 'fast charge' feature on your charger. This goes to the full voltage, but doesn't squeeze in the last few drops. Cells are most susceptible to damage when fully charged or full (below 3.0v per cell) discharged. HTH
Old 05-04-2014

Cheers very helpful thanks!
Old 05-04-2014

Send a message via Skype™ to Miggers

Very good info indeed.

I'm thinking of going over to LiPo,however I don't race and it
can be months between drives of my car.

If I ran my car and then either left the battery as it came out of the car
or storage charged it would it be ok to then leave it for 6-12 months
before charging it to run again?
Old 05-04-2014
Mad Member

Why would you not want to race an RC car for 6 months?

If you are going to store for that long then charge to around 50% before putting into open circuit storage. Don't store them anywhere warm.