Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 08-06-2009

Default 1/10 Electric Buggy Advice for Newbie...

Hi All,

Sorry if this is in the completely wrong category...

I'm getting back into R/C after a 20 year absence. I used to race in the days of HotShots and Bigwigs with my first car being a Sand Scorcher!

I went to a meet the other day and boy have things changed. So, I would like to race a 1/10 buggy indoors and want to be competitive but I'm not sure where to start. I need a car obviously and then need to build from there. I'm going to a meet on Wednesday (Mansfield) which I'm sure will provide much more info, but I thought I would ask the question here.

So, which car? I'm looking for 4x4 and have ideas based on a Cat SX. Is this a good car? Will it be competitive?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Steve
Old 08-06-2009

Send a message via Yahoo to rcmadd

welcome back first

the cat is the chassis from schumacher and will serve you well as they are a top car manufacturer

there are others out there as good as, but me not an off roader cannot name them all
Old 08-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudmaster View Post
Hi All,

Sorry if this is in the completely wrong category...

I'm getting back into R/C after a 20 year absence. I used to race in the days of HotShots and Bigwigs with my first car being a Sand Scorcher!

I went to a meet the other day and boy have things changed. So, I would like to race a 1/10 buggy indoors and want to be competitive but I'm not sure where to start. I need a car obviously and then need to build from there. I'm going to a meet on Wednesday (Mansfield) which I'm sure will provide much more info, but I thought I would ask the question here.

So, which car? I'm looking for 4x4 and have ideas based on a Cat SX. Is this a good car? Will it be competitive?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Steve
Hi m8

Welcome Back , the cat sx lipo edition is a fantastic car there are many good 4wd and 2wd cars out there like the Team Assosiated b4 and the b44 , the best thing to do is go to a few club meetings and model shops look at all the cars see all the cars go round and ask if you can have a go with a few (Some people will say no! get used to it ) once you have all the info you need look over it and make YOUR decision i say YOURS not what someone has said buy!

Then you come to your electrics , now this one is up to you but if i were you i would go brushless and lipo! with a good servo that wont break down!

Hope This Helps
John

FG Onroad - Zenoha - Futaba Servo's - GP
Mi 3.5 - Stock class - Orion - LRP - Nosram

TC4 - 10.5 - Orion - Futaba Brushless Servo - LRP
T4 - 6.5 Losi System - Futaba Brushless Servo

DX3r - Ansmann - Muchmore - Propeak

OTHERS ARE ETHER IN BITS OR IN ATTIC
Old 08-06-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you want the Cat (and why not, its a good car) you are better off getting the cheaper S1 version. Its not is stiff as the more expensive models in the range, which may lead to it being ultimately slightly slower, but it is also much more forgiving to drive as a result.
If you are just getting back after years out you'll be wanting an easy to drive car......
Old 08-06-2009

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the responses.

I'm keen on the Cat, not least because my Dad wouldn't buy me anything but Tamiya when I was a kid so I never got to have one! It was the car to beat at the time although I must say I certainly managed it on a few occasions.

So, if a Cat is as competitive as anything else then I am heading in that direction, although I will get the meet on Wednesday out of the way.

As for electrics, what classes of motor are generally run indoors? 27T, 19T, etc? Is that my next decision? Anyone recommend any good motors and speed controls? I think I'll be going Lipo, so I will need an appropriate charger. What about radio gear and servo?

Thanks again,

Steve
Old 08-06-2009

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the responses.

I'm keen on the Cat, not least because my Dad wouldn't buy me anything but Tamiya when I was a kid so I never got to have one! It was the car to beat at the time although I must say I certainly managed it on a few occasions.

So, if a Cat is as competitive as anything else then I am heading in that direction, although I will get the meet on Wednesday out of the way.

As for electrics, what classes of motor are generally run indoors? 27T, 19T, etc? Is that my next decision? Anyone recommend any good motors and speed controls? I think I'll be going Lipo, so I will need an appropriate charger. What about radio gear and servo?

Thanks again,

Steve

Totaly Agree you should get the S1 version much easier to drive, if you do get a cat and you intend to run a good lipo buy the new topdeck so you can get your conecters through and into the battery also i would put a LRP 8Turn X12 Motor and the new LRP SSX ESC if you can afford it that is as they are a bit pricey but if you get one you wont need to upgragde for some years to come also i would get a orion vortex (FAST) servo when i comes to lipo i would put a orion platinum 2 5000mah as they are geat battery and take some abuse! my m8s got 2 of the old versions of this battery and hes had them for 2years+ and he's accedentaly put them on Ni-Mh charge and alsorts and they are still going strong , other than that i would put a LRP 5300Mah 40C Version In

Hope This Helps
John

FG Onroad - Zenoha - Futaba Servo's - GP
Mi 3.5 - Stock class - Orion - LRP - Nosram

TC4 - 10.5 - Orion - Futaba Brushless Servo - LRP
T4 - 6.5 Losi System - Futaba Brushless Servo

DX3r - Ansmann - Muchmore - Propeak

OTHERS ARE ETHER IN BITS OR IN ATTIC
Old 08-06-2009

Thanks guys...

Here's a question...

The B44 mentions a slipper clutch which as I understand it stops wheelying and generally allows you to put the power down in a more controlled manner. The Cat doesn't mention this in the spec.

So, is the B44 better for this or any other reason?

It is certainly cheaper!

Many thanks,

Steve
Old 08-06-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Thanks guys...

Here's a question...

The B44 mentions a slipper clutch which as I understand it stops wheelying and generally allows you to put the power down in a more controlled manner. The Cat doesn't mention this in the spec.

So, is the B44 better for this or any other reason?

It is certainly cheaper!

Many thanks,

Steve

The cat has a slipper aswell mate and is a full spec competition car. I would suggest that as your are near Mansfield the best bet is to go to PBM Racing (model shop) and speak to Andy Wallis. He will be able to give you all the advice you need.
Old 08-06-2009

Top referral!

That place is about 3 miles from home...

Right, I'm off to see him.

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 08-06-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Top referral!

That place is about 3 miles from home...

Right, I'm off to see him.

Thanks again.

Steve
Hes open till 8 tonight.